At the tobacconist

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: At the tobacconist

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Have a new favorite for quite some time for RYO, Schwarzer Krauser. My Spanish friends were disgusted by the smell of it. "Tabaco negro, no gracias." :D

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:55 am

@Pidsley: That whole leaf is cool, rekamepip made a few blends of his own ordering from there and I've had the luck of trying them, pretty damn good, of course he makes his own sugar water/molasses kind of mild casing and pressed them for a couple months.

I've thought about trying to order a bit and mess around with it at some point.

I've been smoking a lot of HU Tobacco recently, from Hans Wiedemann of Germany.

Great blends all around, but I really love HU Dockworker (flake), (Burley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia) a spicy kind of burley flavor, a mild sweetness to it, excellent burner, and strength in nicotine. Hard to really decribe it beyond that, some really, really good tobacco. HU has quickly become a favorite blender of mine.

HU Old Fredder's; A totally different Va/Per that is just out of this world. It's got great strength and taste all the way through the heel and bottom of the bowl.

Many others, too many to sit here and review. HU Fayyum Kake is a near identical clone of Esoterica Penzance, and it's a crumble cake of Latakia forward goodness. Dark, smoky tobacco.

They make a superb straight VA flake called HU Sunset, fermented and to me, has a mild green olive flavor on startup. It's a smoke a pure VA flake smoker would love. Not like FVF as it isn't hot/cold pressed at all, think golden yet fermented VA flake. Hans is doing new things in the tobacco world.

Smoked some G&H Happy Brown Bogie in a cob today, and now on to some HU Edward G. blend, which is a VaPer that also has a litte Kentucky & burley in it, in a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke Lovat from the 70's.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Not really summerish here, so instead of buying some more cobs I decided to order a new briar, a reasonable Jean Claude in my favorite straight shape.
100_5182.JPG
I have the feeling the straw is a bit high here but other than that it smokes well.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:26 pm

It looks superb. Very nice colors, I have something similar in size but not as beautiful. This needs a good natural VA as starter! And a black tea with a bit of rum :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:38 pm

Bought a new bacco. *Savinelli The Balkans*. Sounds good? It has Latakia, Black Cavendish and Orient, sounds good indeed. I think Virginia, too.
I could not find it on tobaccoreviews. I smoked two bowls and it is an ok smoke, nothing too extraordinary for the very high price. Found it actually at my tobacconist and was surprised to find another English. Though if you need something similar but better then I would take Rattray's 7 Reserve or Dunhill My Mixture 965.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Savinelli stands for high quality pipes, and of course tobaccos - and IIRC they are also blended at K&K. K&K is too expensive, and since they have been doing tobaccos the 'original' taste of the 'original' blend disappeared :( BTW, You could put it up on Tobaccoreviews.

Next time try MB Plumcake for fun, should be there in every tobacco shop. It's a very little Balkanish but not too much, and NOT SWEET at all ;) Worth the price, IMO. Perfect tobacco for those who usually smoke cigarettes.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:59 pm

machinebacon wrote:
Next time try MB Plumcake for fun, should be there in every tobacco shop. It's a very little Balkanish but not too much, and NOT SWEET at all ;) Worth the price, IMO. Perfect tobacco for those who usually smoke cigarettes.
I am still hesitating with this one (it always looks at me) and in general with Mac Baren :) with some exceptions. But why not, if the Baconator smokes it...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:20 pm

Why not, yes. Some features of plumcake:
- no honey flavour
- they say "Jamaican Rum" but it actually just give the same mouth feel as after you drink rum
- it contains Lat
- it has a totally pleasant room note
- as cigarette smoker, I must say this complements my daily Nic intake
- it smells like natural tobacco
- it is a mix of Burley, Cavendish (not Black Cavendish!), Virginia, Latakia, and I still feels a bit like Perique.

It is not a typical Balkan blend, but more of what I expect an old-fashioned traditional English to be. It tastes like a mix of SG Westmorland and SG Scotch Cut Mixture. For the price it is REALLY okay, and it does not taste bad at all. People even complain that it "does not taste like cake". Those are the people who don't find installers or want a GUI for everything.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:28 am

machinebacon wrote:People even complain that it "does not taste like cake". Those are the people who don't find installers or want a GUI for everything.
Ok, convinced.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:30 am

Finally I found a Virginia that I can smoke daily, Orlik Golden Sliced. I used it also to break in into my new pipe of course and noticed why I like it so much. Reasonable price, no tongue bite, comes out perfectly from the pouch for a flake and burns to ashes, even better than some of the mixtures and it is sure one of the easiest flakes to smoke, just rubbing it out here, I really do not bother anyway putting whole flake pieces into my pipes. Just perfect.

I have no idea though if there is really Perique in it, so I just call it a pure Virginia. :) It has a tea taste and smell, a bit like a Turkish black tea, no honey moon shit etc.

That is all. I just wanted to show my appreciation for some simple tobacco that I enjoy for a long time without mentioning it here before. A straight forward no nonsense tobacco, KISS for the daily smoker.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:47 am

As much as I like OGS, the bergamot flavouring is a bit of a turn-off for me after a tin. I do, however, recommend to get the pouched version.

There was the long discussion about OGS being a Perique'd one or a Burley one. Haven't we have the discussion before here? Anyways, here is the link:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/kevins-bl ... s-perique/

If I smoke Dunhill Flake and OGS 'side by side', I do notice that OGS is more fragrant (well of course it is), and has more 'treble' than Dunhill Flake. Of course the question is: what and how is the taste of Perique? No matter which Perique'd tobacco i smoked, I only noticed that it tickles and actually stings my nose (OGS does this, too - especially if you smoke it side by side with the Gawith Virginias), so I think there is something in it - not much, but yes. I wouldn't 'taste' it, though.
Irish Oak, of Peterson, is an example for a natural VA plus Perique, and I am really trying hard to finally finish the tin. So, it is my chemistry that does not fit Perique, I think.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:44 am

Yes Perique stings in the nose a bit, I really enjoy some blends with Perique. Maybe that is the secret sauce I enjoy about OGS. Bergamot, maybe a little, like putting some lemon into your tea, I like that combination.
Usually real Vapers have a plum touch, dried fruits, OGS has not. And of course there are overkills like Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture, though this one smokes well when the tobacco becomes crispy, totally dried out, not worth it anyway, especially not the price. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:52 am

machinebacon wrote:
There was the long discussion about OGS being a Perique'd one or a Burley one. Haven't we have the discussion before here? Anyways, here is the link:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/kevins-bl ... s-perique/
Interesting that on this tin they put this:
Rub the tobacco slices gently before filling your pipe.
Also, in Germany the pouch only mentions Virginia. I am not even sure if we have tins here but I love this practical pouch.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Dave, you are right. I have a Danish pouch and it does only mention Virgos. Is there some kind of system behind it? Tin being Periqued? Because I had the tin and found it "worse" than the pouch. It would make sense.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:15 pm

On the site you linked the guy mentioned no difference in his review between the tin and the pouch, no idea. They ship it in tins to other countries, maybe not Europe. Maybe it comes with more moisture in the tin? I hate moist tobacco with a passion lately. I only accept it in SGs. :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Let's get nasal. I ordered some snuff (recently 90% of my Nic intake is coming from cigarettes)

My daily driver so far has been Poeschl Loewen-Prise (aniseed, licorice, nice tobacco flavor, not too much menthol), but I wanted to try something fruity and also one tobacco-free snuff:

* Ozona White (based on fructose, strongly mentholated or "medicated")
* Poeschl Suedfrucht (a Schmalzler, I only read positive comments about this one, fruity)
* Ozona Cherry (traditional dry snuff, mentholated with fruit flavor)

Unfortunately the 6 Photo #66 Medicated Snuff was sold out (wanted to try an Indian one, there was no Dholakia where I ordered it).

Has anybody tried some of the English brands?
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Incidentally I have here the typical and most famous mentholated Poeschl snuff, Gletscher Prise, and I have to say it is not that bad how I thought and I usually avoid everything menthol.

You are a mind reader Bacon, I am reading amounts of shit about snuff lately. :) So far, I have to try a bunch of things.

PS: I followed your advice and bought Plumcake. So far, it is perfectly smokeable and interesting to my palate but still it has something that could make me not buy it again. Maybe it is too insipid.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:35 pm

@plumcake: sorry to hear that ;) I hope that you found the good things in it nonetheless. By the way, it needs a few bowls - so, put it aside and smoke it again in a few weeks, you will like it more, seriously. My first bowls of this stuff tasted OK, and probably the airing changes it a bit, more to the Cavendish side.

@snuff: Gletscher Prise, interestingly, is really one of the best snuffs -- and I know what you mean with "not as bad as I thought". It has this "Bauarbeiter" image, right? If you want those without menthol, check "Toque", I think they are all not medicated except those that have Menthol in the name. Or you take those Brasil/Schmalzler snuffs that taste as naturally as a cigar.

http://www.tobiasjung.net/html/snufflog ... tellerinfo_
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 am

^ Great site Bacon. Yes, I am all for the real baccy flavor but I admit mentholated snuff is addictive, I like it and I think I will still by Gletscher Prise whenever I can. It is available in all supermarkets here. :D

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

[yt]PDOH6W1t7Yk[/yt]

Fabulous! This fits Ivanov's needs (short break, full nic)
..gnutella..