At the tobacconist

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: At the tobacconist

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:50 am

Same here, and I actually don't want to pile up even more, but you know. ...
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:26 am

I know the urge to get the hands on new exciting stuff. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:30 pm

I think that's it pretty much.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:48 am

Note to self:

Don't.

;)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:14 pm

I am just sitting here in the tin of Gawith's Balkan Flake and having a good time, so, no need to grab something else. :) Everybody surrounding me is leaving me alone. Works great.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:08 am

Es ist halt einfach die Neugierde, wie wohl diese "neuen Alten" schmecken. Schaut alles eh relativ aehnlich aus, und um ehrlich zu sein, auf Querverkostung habe ich aus finanziellen und auch zeitlichen Gruenden keine Lust - ob in dem einen Tabak eine Prise gereifter Kuhfladen mehr drin ist, ist eigentlich relativ egal. Es ist sowieso schwer, den Balkan Flake oder den Navy Flake von Samuel vom Thron zu stossen. Leider macht halt die STG verdammt gute Dunhills, also eine Early Morning Pipe passt bei mir immer rein. Leider auch daher meine Neugierde :(
..gnutella..

Theo
CLIt Licker

Unread post by Theo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Funfact.. I'm not only a smoker, but I made a few thousand pipes. Ofcourse I own one of these:
http://www.goedewaagen.nl/product-categ ... collectie/

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm

Those are clay pipes?

Theo
CLIt Licker

Unread post by Theo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Yes they are :)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:30 pm

Necrobumping this thread. I have been smoking a bunch of burley-forward Latakia blends lately. Some people call these "American" or "American English", but I prefer to call them burley-forward Latakia blends. Cornell and Diehl makes a bunch of these, with varying combinations of burley, latakia, orientals, virginia, and perique. None of them are "lat bombs" -- the latakia is applied sparingly as a condiment, but you can tell it's there. I am finding that I prefer latakia used this way instead of the overpowering burning-tire lat bombs.

My current favorite is "Bailey's Front Porch" and it has burley for strength, virginia for sweetness, perique for pepper, and latakia for smokiness. A "blend" in the true sense of the word with no one component overpowering the others, but all of them present if you look for them, and each coming in and out of the smoke at various times. Other blends add orientals for a bit of sour, and those are good too.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/212 ... ront-porch

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:14 am

I'm always happy if somebody bumps this thread :)

The only American latakia blends I had were Frog Morton, and they were excellent. I love the fact that Latakia just adds the BBQ taste while the other ingredients can be easily detected. Even those comparably fragrant and sweet Frog Morton blends are more elegant than the English ones (which do make sense and are tasty, but somehow a bit 'too much bass')
By the way, the only European Burley-based Latakia blend I know are ironically Scotch Cut Mixture by Samuel Gawith, and their Chocolate Flake or so. Burley seems not be a favourite base for European blenders, and the addition of Latakia is even more special there.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:46 pm

Been on a bit of an Oriental kick lately; C&D Odessa (burley,latakia,oriental,perique), C&D Orion's Arrow (virgina,perique,oriental) and Stokkeby Norwegian (burley,virginia,oriental).

The Orion's Arrow has a nice sweet&sour thing, with Va sweet, Oriental sour, and Perique spice. A nice change of pace from standard VaPers.

It's been a while since I had a tin of Early Morning Pipe; might be time to pick up another.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:52 pm

Also smoking these at the dog park:

Same dark-fired Kentucky as the other ugly Avanti cigars I smoke, but these are heavily Anisette flavored. Sounds weird, but they are tasty. I can't smoke them inside unless I want my entire house to smell like a licorice factory explosion, but they are nice at the dog park.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Looking for the best cigars made in America? You’ve come to the right place. Avanti is the only producer of dry cured cigars in the United States.
seems they like flavored cigars at Avanti.
OUR #1 SELLING BRAND, THE PARODI BRAND HAS BEEN MANUFACTURED BY THE SURACI FAMILY SINCE 1925. THE BRAND CONSISTS OF THREE SIZES. THE TASTE OF OUR ICONIC CIGAR WILL VARY BASED ON THE LENGTH OF THE CIGAR, BUT IT’S ALWAYS DELIGHTFUL.
have you ever tried these? ;)
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:11 pm

^ I have smoked most of the cigars made by the Avanti company (they bought up all the machine-made dry-cured cigar companies in the US) -- they are all pretty much the same; ugly little dry-cured dark-fired Kentucky cigars, but I like them all.

They are not all flavored. I just finished up a bunch of unflavored Parodi Ammezzati cigars, and I am starting on a bunch of these (also unflavored):

I love that box -- I'll bet they haven't changed it for at least 50 years.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:16 pm

looks super stylish indeed. A bit like Cohiba, black/white/yellow. Probably a quicker smoke than a bowlful (which is the only reason I barely smoke pipe recently -- it simply takes too long).
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:22 pm

Damn! Sometimes I wish I could smoke again! :(
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:45 am

Just found this and thought: certain Griller/s would love it. No idea if this is available outside of the UK.
Samuel Gawith came out with a bunch of new baccys, even a VaPer: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/101 ... es-mixture

There's apparently a good reason: the two Gawith merged. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news ... confirmed/
..gnutella..

JesSch1023
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by JesSch1023 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:49 pm

^ These sound incredible.
Metamassage | rainydayshirts