At the tobacconist

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
rhowaldt
Dog

Re: At the tobacconist

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon May 19, 2014 5:00 pm

i think you got the conversion rates the wrong way around Wuxy. Google tells me 4,25 pounds is 5,22 euro. that makes more sense to me. in comparison: 40g Van Nelle Stevige Shag costs me eur 7 here. lasts me about a week. yesh, the UK is expensive :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon May 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Which type is this, Van Nelle Stevige Shag? I only smoke Halfzware.

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Mon May 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I was digging through my baccy stash just a few moments ago. It felt like being at the tobacconist because I'd forgotten about a lot of the tins in there. To my surprise I found a 15 year old tin of Dunhill Nightcap. Time to stink up the place somethin' good!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon May 19, 2014 8:32 pm

@ivo: it is the same. they changed the name in the Netherlands from 'Halfzwaar' (half-heavy) to 'Stevig' (firm), because calling it 'half-heavy' makes it sound like it is better for you (ie. only half as bad). similarly they changed 'Mild' (mild :) to something different (dunno what, i don't smoke that shit).
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon May 19, 2014 9:54 pm

rhowaldt wrote:i think you got the conversion rates the wrong way around Wuxy. ...
yesh, the UK is expensive :)
Dammit, I always get those the wrong way around. 8(
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue May 20, 2014 1:18 am

I'd love to see 12.5g packs where I live, though without the UK pricing. I don't smoke that much, so the bigger 40/50g packs end up drying out (or smelling funny in Drum's case... probably because of the humidity here) before they're even half finished.

@Wux
Yeah, most additive free tobaccos - Pure Tobacco or True Blend or whatever - turn to dust pretty quick in dry (or air-conditioned) climates. You either smoke the shit damn fast or keep putting moistened filter tips in the pack every other day.
Last edited by gutterslob on Wed May 21, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue May 20, 2014 8:28 am

slartie wrote:I was digging through my baccy stash just a few moments ago. It felt like being at the tobacconist because I'd forgotten about a lot of the tins in there. To my surprise I found a 15 year old tin of Dunhill Nightcap. Time to stink up the place somethin' good!
That sound like you will have a very good day.
rhowaldt wrote:similarly they changed 'Mild' (mild :) to something different (dunno what, i don't smoke that shit).
Me neither.
The name changes, fuck this EU regulation shit!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 am

@gutterslob: isn't that easily remedied by using a custom packaging of some sort, like sealed plastic bags for small quantities of tobacco?

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 pm

@rho:

I suppose ziplock bags and mason jars work if you just want to prevent them drying out, though the tobacco still doesn't quite retain that "factory sealed" level of flavour you get from a fresh pouch. No idea what kind of toxic gas they put in them for sealing, but it's awesome. I suspect they use cheap BBQ sauce for Drum, though... and probably Bison fart for Douwe Egberts stuff.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue May 20, 2014 10:16 pm

^ to keep it moisturized just keep enough for six rollups balled up in your underpants. especially good to smoke after a day of intensive biking.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Wed May 21, 2014 6:25 am

That'd be great if I was Australian.
Thunderpants Halfsweat Tobacco. Smoke your thunder, from our down under!!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed May 21, 2014 9:21 am

^ :D

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed May 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Short quick and dirty review of two pipe baccys I have smoked while in Europe

MacBaren Plumcake

Irritating name, as it has nothing to do with cakes or plums. Wild mix of BC, B, VA and a hint of L. Very light alcoholic flavour. All in all a slightly manlier version of the Scotch Mixture from the same blender. Barely detectable Lat, however, a very good mixture with excellent natural tobacco under a silky honey cover. No bite. 4 of 5 pipes.

Rum & Maple

Similar to Germains #7, from the same blender (Planta). Surprisingly good smoke, with clearly detectable maple flavour and a hint of rum. Does not smoke hot and is not aggressive to the tongue, at all. Seems like a typical VA, B, BC mixture to me, no highs and lows, very steady and tasteful smoke if you like light aromatics. 4 of 5 pipes.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:57 pm

resurrecting for the fuck of it :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:20 pm

^ Good idea. I am planning to buy a bunch of corn cobs next month for outside activities.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:28 pm

Ah talking of new pipes, I bought a cheap one in Germany:

http://www.tabakpfeife24.de/Pfeifen/Mol ... aun-1.html

with 9mm filter, I just needed a temporary solution when I was in Germany. It smokes fine :) Got it for 30 EUR.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:45 pm

Nice one, me gusta. I like the shape. Btw this is the site I use on a regular basis.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:27 pm

I saw this chap smoking a rather funky looking pipe the other day at a coffee shop. It was straight, triangular and rather minimalist, not like a traditional pipe at all. Even the tobacco was different - came in tiny compressed cylindrical sizes stored in a long cylindrical metal tin (like the ones they store individual cigars in).
Any ideas?

As for my own RYO adventures;
Just discovered Old Holborn. Pretty strong stuff, probably the strongest I've smoked. The tobacco has this sort of sweet earthy fragrance, which I must admit I'm not particularly fond of, but the smell isn't there when you're smoking it, nor does it linger on your fingers or anything, which is good. Quite a satisfying smoke. Very full-bodied and dark tasting, though probably a bit too heavy for me. Probably great with a strong coffee. Might try blending it with some halfzware in future. English made according to the packaging, even has the customary "your doctor or pharmacist can help you quit" crap on it. The shop guy says it's popular with the Greek customers, and I was like "what are Greeks doing all the way here in Singapore?" Anyways, quality stuff.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:02 pm

My latest purchase:

Real dried and cured tobacco leaves from Leaf Only. So far I have only tried the aged burley and dark fire-cured, but it is interesting to see what pure tobacco is like.

(that's not really a pound of light fire-cured on the left -- they mislabeled it. It's a quarter pound sample like the others.)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:25 pm

@slob: that is a pippo pipoo, IIRC by Vauen. must be what you described. tobacco choice is a bit limited. more like a pipe-to-go

@pids: let us know how it smokes :) i suppose this is absolutely natural, so no topping or casing added?
..gnutella..