At the tobacconist

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
pidsley
Hermit

Re: At the tobacconist

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:11 am

And on the pipe side, I have been smoking Pasha's Dream. Whatever the smokingpipes decription says, I'd call this a lightly top-flavored burley blend with a tiny bit of Latakia, similar to Epiphany, but slightly different, I still prefer Epiphany, but this is an interesting smoke.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:53 am

What a name, /me wants.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 am

Ivan, question to you because you are living in Germany:

Do you have a recommendation for 'good' VA cigarettes? Are the American Spirit okay? Any other tips? I usually smoke P&S (the mint green package, they are as VA as it gets here in Europe). Thanks in advance.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Yes, American Spirit cigarettes are good, though I love the black package with perique. So I would recommend you the blue package, only VA and of course all AS cigarettes are without additives. I do not recommend their green and yellow stuff, too weak.

Then you could also try Pueblo cigarettes. I cannot remember how good they are but I smoked them and think they are similar to AS and are cheaper because AS are relatively expensive.

Did I ever told you that my sister works for AS so I never buy them. :) I have a ton of merchandising articles here, too, from lighters to ashtrays.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:58 pm

*clears throat* I do not smoke, as I am not 18 yet. But, someone I met does. And this someone has found that for some reason some convenience stores nearby in Wyoming never ID you, because for some reason the 60+ year old men behind the counters have font memories of smoking while on horseback on some rustic ranch in their youth and want to impart that to the future youngsters. Or they just want their money. Whatever.

Therefore this someone began with the Yellow/White package and has moved to the Maroons. Is there a substantial difference between maroons and blues? Or is it the difference between Skoal Straight and Cope Straight?

Edit: And this someone I met is wondering if anyone sells the Skoal Spearmint anymore? In vanished from the shelves in Wyoming D:
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:21 pm

thanks ivan :) i think i fell in love with your sister :D

DR, no idea :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:21 pm

Mint is almost forbidden in the EU, when not yet then in the next months. I do not care, I never smoked minty cigarettes.

The yellow pack from AS is organic I think, the baccy and the *pack*. The maroons contain Burley.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:37 pm

thanks ivan, AS Blue package, I'll get that! :)
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Ivan, I got both the dark blue and the light blue package -- tried the light blue ones and they taste fucking great. And they burn way slower than other cigarettes. Thanks again for the recommendation, I'll try dark blue (pure Burley?) and black as next :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Dark Blue? Oh fuck, they have so many colors now, I am not sure. Ok, Dark Blue seems to be the same but organic (maybe with Burley, too, according to the web page), ecological tobacco. On the net it is considered new. The brown pack could be Burley but only added to the standard VA. You should watch this space:

https://www.americanspirit-info.de/home.php

Btw, I love the soft packs. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Samuel Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth are merging. :)

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news ... confirmed/

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Wow, does that mean we get all the great G&H tobaccos now even outside the UK without 3rd party vendors from Switzerland? :D

Bin mal gespannt ob Kohlhase & Kopp weiterhin den Vertrieb machen.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Ok, I tried all of the American Spirit cigarettes and give them the BBQ approval!

Even the yellow-orange (light) ones (bought them for my mother who usually smokes R1 or stuff like that) taste much better than regular lights - they are not strong, but do have a nice tobacco flavour. The black ones with perique are creamy, manly, strong, like a good gravy. Thanks David for the recommendation, again!
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:18 pm

Yeah, I think it pays off to smoke some very natural cigarettes without any additives, a delight. Yes, they taste like tobacco and not perfumed shit.

In the meantime I am chewing again a bit more on my pipes with the mighty Dunhill Standard Mixture.
07.03.15 - 1.jpg
Presbyterian Mixture is on its way. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:47 pm

That looks good, what do you say Pid? :)

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by- ... _id=169301

More info:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news ... -kentucky/

The say the strongest baccy, you need tattoos and hair on the chest, I have neither of that. :)
Last edited by ivanovnegro on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: another link

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:41 am

The last day before I left Germany I bought - out of curiousity, and because the packaging looks so cool - a box of Lucky Strike 1871 Straight Dark (black box). It's Colombian tobacco, and it does what it says on the tin ("DARK"). Very dark taste, pretty much like Schwarzer Krauser or the dark Drum, Bison, etc.

I'm not quite sure what kind of tobacco is used here. The smoke is quite cigarish, very smooth and - even though the Straight Dark Luckies are sold as 'strong' cigarettes - surprisingly mild. Actually, I miss the brightness and the Virginia top notes. They taste a bit castrated, I'd even say a bit empty. If you puff harder and smoke quicker, the smoke gets a bit more bitter and fuller. If this would be a pipe tobacco, I'd say it's boring and dull. For a cigarette, it's very interesting and a change of pace. Nothing I would smoke all the time, but right now - enjoying a cold Jack Daniel's & Cola - it fits well.

Get it if you like cigars, but skip them if you like bright or spicy tobaccos.
Attachments
ls.jpg
ls.jpg (7.78 KiB) Viewed 18821 times
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Got mail a few days ago from pipesandtobaccos - a free edition of their digital magazine was in the inbox. Of course I share it:

http://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/dig ... r2014.html
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Yep, me too.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:16 am

Very very very high on the 'must have'-list is a new Dunhill reissue:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/450 ... ure-bb1938

Anybody had this already? Seems to tick my boxes, rich VA, no Cav, sounds like a good Balkan without Orientals.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:26 am

Sounds good, have yet to try it.