Minister of Truth

Re: At the tobacconist

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 am

Snuff arrived today and the guy even added 4 little test tubes ;)

Of course I had to try them all.

Wilson Morlaix: rose + citrus flavoured, not medicated. smells like toilet cleaner. 2/5
Wilson SM 500: Strong Medicated snuff. contains eucalyptus. i like the name more than the taste. 3/5
Wilson SM Blue: slightly tuned down version plus camphor. 2/5
Wilson Peach Melba: not medicated, heavy peach bottom with rich pastry smell. lasts quite long. 3/5
Ozona Weiss: non-tobacco snuff, heavy on menthol. very pleasant, fruity tone coming from the grape sugar. a winner for me. 4/5
Poeschl Doppelaroma Suedfrucht: wet and heavy Schmalzler, lot of chocolate and banana, just a bit of pineapple and orange, long lasting and rich. 4/5

Thanks to snuff I only smoke around 6-7 cigarettes a day nowadays (was over 20 before), YMMV :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:52 pm

I wasn't aware you are such a heavy smoker. :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:33 am

^ The problem is that every bowlful takes at least 45 minutes, so pipes are really designed for the silent hours at home. And you know, if the weather is very hot (we usually have >35C) pipes are not the best choice. Cigarettes are cheap here, that's maybe the most important factor for smoking more of them. But I noticed that a pack a day is too much, so I need to find a way to reduce without quitting :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:30 pm

Oh yes, I know this 45 or even more minutes problem. That is why sometimes I have some RYO at my fingertips. The problem here though with the climate is when it gets rainy like the rest of the august then you are stuck with cigarettes or small cigars, usually more expensive.

PS: Reduce without quitting. :D :D

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:58 pm

I found the idea of slicing a cigar to rolls as a bowlful quite good. No more "stinkender angerauchter Stumpen" ;)
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 am

So this will arrive today or tomorrow:

Wilson Irish High Toast 22
Fribourg Treyer Macouba
Fribourg Treyer Bureau
Fribourg Treyer Old Paris
Fribourg Treyer Santo Domingo
Fribourg Treyer Bordeaux
FUBAR Doolali Tap
FUBAR Shot of Rum
Samuel Gawith Raspberry
Toque Spanish Gem

Doolali Tap contains a curry mixture and chili, so this will be interesting. FUBAR is all Indian stuff. I'll report later :D
..gnutella..

p120d16y
Haxxor

Unread post by p120d16y » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:29 am

@Ivan: OGS is a favorite of mine, you're making me want to crack a tin open just reading that description. VaPers are my favorite anytime smoke.

@Bacon: I've got these as far as snuff goes;

Toque Xmas Pudding (Really really dry and fine,nutmeg,cinnamon, Christmas like you'd expect of the name)

Gawith&Hoggarth Kendal Brown ( Really good and good nic IMO, a dark smokey and meaty snuff)

Gawith&Hoggarth Lakeland (Finer light brown with some mild mentholated quality, really like this one)

Gawith&Hoggarth Ambassador (Very much the same/similar to Lakeland, in a way kind of like a very mild "flavor" of mentholated baby powder. I know this sounds strange, but I actually find these and the German Shmalzlers to be my favorite snuffs)

I REALLY recommend those 3 G&H snuffs. Top notch.

As for German moist snuffs, I have only two a friend sent me.

Both from Bernard Schnupftabak, schmalzlerfranzl.de

Postillion ( like a chocolate with seasonal spices in it, reminds of something for holidays and winter)

Frohliche Weihnachten ( Really like cinnamon, clove, spicy, dark, and really tingly in the nose. Very good and recommended for a try)

I also have some other American bubble gum snuff but it's always bothered the shit out of my nose and it came way too dry and fine, not recommended at all.
Last edited by p120d16y on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:04 am

Frohliche Weihnachten, oh damn, that sounds like heavy shit. :P

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:45 pm

Shocking news:

1) Peterson tobaccos are now blended by MacBaren
2) Rattray's are now blended by Kohlhase & Kopp
3) Parts of the new Rattray tobaccos are 'old' Peterson tobaccos carrying a new name
4) Some of the Rattray's are even Gawith & Hoggart
5) Dunhill is now distributed by Kohlhase & Kopp
6) New Dunhill blends! http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/?articl ... eifentabak
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:00 pm

^ Some of the stuff is not new to me. Already saw it. Though some of the new Dunhill blends look promising apart from Elizabethan Mixture. :P

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:16 am

Okay, so I got the following nasal snuffs in the last weeks:

Wilson Irish High Toast 22
Excellent natural snuff, very light in color, quite dry. Tastes like a pure VA, can't say anything about nic hit because all snuffs are comparably light compared to what we usually smoke. This one grew on me and I will reorder once I used up a few of the others. No added flavoring here. 5/5

Wilson Queen's Extra Strong
Bergamot leads on a floral base. Light brown. Not as strong as the name suggests, I find it quite easy on the nostrils. Very good grind and moisture. Not really my cup of Earl Grey. 2.5/5

Dholakia Swiss Chocolate
World-famous Indian snuff, very dark, very tasty, apparently high on nic. Really smells like black chocolate. Bit coarse, bit dry, but still quite easy to snort ;) Excellent choco taste. 3.5/5

6Photo Medicated 666
I like this one so much that I ordered another 30g tin. Shitty tin design and material, but the content is heavenly. Rust-red perfectly ground and perfectly moist snuff, eucalyptus, menthol and a nice herbal base, a bit chocolate, and it can be applied in huge doses. Yes, it *IS* medicated, but it's complex yet sweet, warm yet fresh. 5/5 I love it.

Fribourg Treyer Macouba
The smell of toilet cleaner. Can't give it a score because I have to puke whenever I smell this. Something ridiculously floral.

Fribourg Treyer Bureau
This is a sandalwood-cedar kind of snuff I think. Quite good, but you have to like the smell of soap to really enjoy this. Not as bad as the other French-English style snuffs from Fribourg & Treyer. Pffff, 2/5, no idea.

Fribourg Treyer Old Paris
Don't know what happened here. Is it really supposed to smell like leather and plum wine? Anyhow, I like these weird combos. Good grind, can be taken in big pinches. 3/5

Fribourg Treyer Santo Domingo
I hate the grind, this is like black sand. Maybe good for dipping. Has some cigar base. Fell out of my nose every time I snorted it, so I gave it away and made somebody else unhappy with it. 0/5

Fribourg Treyer Bordeaux
toilet cleaner with an extra touch of some other floral shit. 0/5

FUBAR Doolali Tap
Finally a snuff that is unique. Ginger, curry, chilli, quite bright powder, rather fine, and fucking hot! 4/5 for being such a dick to me :)

FUBAR Shot of Rum
This goes down like oil. Super-sweet rum, dark base tobacco, nice warming effect. Yum. 4/5

FUBAR Grunt
If you like the mix of stale cigar, Parmesan cheese and morning breath, this is the one for you. Very manly, smokey, musky, leathery, heavy, stinky, a real Latakia amongst the other aromatics. 4/5

FUBAR Toasted
Hmmm, didn't find it as exciting as the other FUBARs. Nothing wrong here, just a bit boring. Nice nic content. 3/5

FUBAR Willie Pete
White phosphor, white pepper, Willie Pete. Ultra-fine ground grey tobacco, extremely dry. Very hard to apply without pain, coughing or sneezing. It has a baby powder consistency with a beach/salt/sand smell. To be honest, I like it. Not for the first timer. 4/5

FUBAR Bohica
Bend Over Here It Comes Again. Dark, nearly black tobacco. Fantastic dark chocolate smell with an enormous amount of red chilli on top. VERY spicy and warming. Brings tears to the eye. Be careful if you try it, this is the hell. 4/5

Samuel Gawith Raspberry
Very fruity, optimal grind and moisture. Looooong lasting flavour. Good for beginners. It's the 'Celtic Talisman' of the snuffs here. 2.5/5

Samuel Gawith Afterglow
Surprisingly good for a fruitful aromatic, it does really smell like baby powder and candy. Yes, it is sweet and has a pinch of eucalyptus in the background. Can't really say what kind of flavoring it really is, but it's rather sweet and complex. Tonquin lower mids. Might also contain something floral. Reminds me of the Lakeland essences, so maybe they are in there. Does indeed taste like the "Kendal Cream Mixture". 2.5/5

Toque Spanish Gem
Very fine, medium brown snuff with a generous amount of chocolate, and something like mushrooms. Nice warming tobacco. Seems to be a copy of Spanish Jewel, that's what the reviewers say. 3/5, as it doesn't last long enough.

Ordered another half kilogram of Indian and Chinese snuffs, some Madras style, some Himalayan style, let's see how they work.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Impressive list. Thanks for sharing.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:30 am

STS are apparently trying to sell everything. This is their newest 'deal':
pipa.jpg
pipa.jpg (13.6 KiB) Viewed 20203 times
That's an aromatic plus FREE CORNCOB! ;)

They should actually have known that pidsley smokes natural flavors....
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Oh shit.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:01 pm

^ They also have a cherry version. Prostata.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm

Cherry, blasphemy.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:10 pm

I was very happy to find some Clipper lighters at Walmart yesterday -- I have wanted to try them since ivan mentioned them, and I did not know they were sold in the US. So far I like them just a little bit better than BICs, but I still prefer my brushed-brass armor Zippo for everyday use.

I have been smoking a bunch of these lately:

Image Image

They are ugly little machine-made dry-cured cigars, made by the Avanti cigar company in Pennsylvania from dark-fired Kentucky and Tennessee tobacco. They are like smoking Kendal Kentucky or MB Old Dark Fired in a cigar, and I really like them. I get a 30-minute smoke from the Populars, and 35 to 40 minutes from the Kings. I don't know if they are sold outside the US, but I highly recommend them.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:11 am

pidsley wrote:I was very happy to find some Clipper lighters at Walmart yesterday -- I have wanted to try them since ivan mentioned them, and I did not know they were sold in the US.
Cool Pidsley. My go-to lighters for an eternity. And it seems I am running out of.

Pid into cigars, really great man. That shit you are smoking sounds good, never heard about them.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:48 am

Smoking a few more machine-made cigars, I just tried this one:

Started off not great, but turned into 45 minutes of a very pleasant smoke. I still like the avanti cigars better, but this was not bad.