Anime / Japanese series

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Anime / Japanese series

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:45 pm

To avoid a mess in the movies and tv series topics, I decided to create a different topic for Japanese animation.

Usually animation is believed to be targeted at kids and young people in general. Japanese animation is a different beast altogether. For starters, no silly ponies here.

Enough said.

Let's start with my favorite anime films:

01 Dead Leaves
Nothing comes close to this one. My guilty pleasure, an anime usually hated for its sick pace and furious images. I love it beyond reasonable pleasure, especially because everyone I saw it with hated it and insulted me at the end of the screening. Imaishi Hiroyuki is a wild genius.

02 Paprika
This is something Western animation will never be able to grasp. Satoshi Kon never failed, just pick everything he did and be happy.

03 Redline
Crazy science-fiction, racing madness from another animator dear to me: Koike Takeshi.

As for the series:

01 Cowboy Bebop
I don't think there will ever be a Japanese series I can love more.

02 Neon Genesis Evangelion
So much in this one. I'm not into the movies that followed, but this series is powerful in so many levels.

03 Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Imaishi Hiroyuki, again.

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: Anime / Japanese series

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:49 pm

^ i just know that last one, but that is because i only watch anime for the plot ;)

did see Akira a long time ago, and remembered it as being awesome as fuck. mad mutating dude and shit, wonderful :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:09 pm

Akira is number 4 in the first list. ;)

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Hopefully Slartie-senpai will chime in too, he has quite a list :)

Cowboy Bebop is awesome, loved it, but especially the movie. Here are some screencaps from it: http://imgur.com/a/9fDii#0
Drool worthy.

The studio Ghibli movies are awesome in general. Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and My Neighbor Totoro are all on the must watch list IMO.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:49 pm

^ Oh yes, Studio Ghibli rarely failed. I especially love Porco Rosso.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Big Ghibli fan too, my favourite is a fucking sad one, but its fantastic, not many have seen it.
"Grave of the Fireflies" Info here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_of_the_Fireflies

Serious anti war film, and a must see.

cheers
simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:23 pm

Absolute Duo - アブソリュート・デュオ
Attack on Titan - 進撃の巨人
Bleach - ブリーチ
Code Geass - コードギアス
Cowboy Bebop - カウボーイビバップ
Deathnote - デスノート
Dragonball, Dragonball GT, Dragonball Z - ドラゴンボール
Fairy Tail - フェアリーテイル
Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 鋼の錬金術師
Hellsing - ヘルシング
Highschool DxD - ハイスクールD×D
Hunter x Hunter - ハンターハンタ
Naruto, Naruto Shipuden - ナルト
Neon Genesis Evangelion - 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン
One Piece - ワンピース
Sword Art Online - ソードアート・オンライン

That's just what comes to me right off the bat. There's a much bigger list of series and stand-alones I could add, but then I'd be making a ridiculously long post.

If you've seen any amount of anime, you will recognize at least 2 of the ones mentioned above. Dragonball and Naruto often get ridiculed as "kiddie shows", but if you take the time to actually watch them, you will notice they deal with some pretty heavy topics: growing up, growing apart, dealing with others expectations of you, facing your fears, dealing with grief, love, not feeling loved, and a whole bunch more. While I haven't watched any of the Pokemon series, I suspect they've dealt with some of the same topics.

That's what I like about anime. It's not a Disney picture. While Disney does deal with some of these things, it's usually tied up with a pretty bow. In anime you get the cold hard truth served on a platter. Sure some of the shows take the Disney feel-good approach, but that's far from the norm in my experience.

Some of the shows mentioned above straddle the Ecchi fence. Absolute Duo and Highschool DxD are examples of that. You have been warned :)

Edit: It should be noted, that almost all shows aimed towards teenagers will have the whole "do your best/be the best you can be" trope plastered all over the plotline. This can become a bit _much_ for some. It's a part of the japanese culture to always strive for excellence.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Great list, slartie.

I'll add another beaufiful series: Canaan.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Mushishi - imho, peerless.
Samurai Champloo - Probably not as fondly remembered as Cowboy Bebob, but it had a more diverse palette, soundtrack wise
Kemonozume - Just watch it.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Finally found the time to watch Kill La Kill (from Imaishi's Trigger studio). Love it.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:17 pm

One of my favorite genres at this time, yet I paradoxically have very little time to spare watching it :/ This thread has been incredibly helpful in honing my "next to watch" list!:D

Usagi Drop was one of my favorites and perhaps the most heart-warming I have watched yet. While at first I wasn't quite captivated, the plotline drew me in and I grew to enjoy it. The soundtrack also has to be one of my favorites so far, although it could perhaps be put in an entirely different genre than, say, Initial D :) YouTube playlist

Log Horizon has the characters that I most empathized with (especially Shiroe) and was perhaps the most "riveting". Due to a bug in a new expansion pack, a group of "Elder Tale" players are locked in the game, left to fend for themselves with their in-game avatars. A socially-awkward gamer (Shiroe) teams up with his friends Naotsugu and Akatsuki-chan to face the world that has become their reality. Also a fantastic soundtrack! (Who am I kidding, anime is like a audiophile paradise.) Main theme
Attachments
Akatsuki.(Log.Horizon).full.1631924.jpg
not-a-lolicon-i-promise.jpg
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:50 pm

GekkoP wrote:02 Paprika
This is something Western animation will never be able to grasp. Satoshi Kon never failed, just pick everything he did and be happy.
R.I.P Satoshi Kon. Personally I think Millennium Actress is still his best work.

GekkoP wrote:Finally found the time to watch Kill La Kill (from Imaishi's Trigger studio). Love it.
I dropped that after about 3 eps or so. Gurren Lagaan (mostly same staff, though different studio at the time) is way better.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:01 pm

^ Yep, watched Gurren Lagaan.
Liked it, but not as much as its fans do. ;)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Finally watched 009 Re: Cyborg.
I'm not an expert of the original manga, but this has some pretty interesting animation. Concept didn't get me that much. I mean, I couldn't find anything really different from, say, Ghost In The Shell in here. But I like it.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:29 pm

I have always had a interest but don't know where to start. I have seen some of the artwork and anime but would really like to follow the mythology.

Which series would you recommend as a introduction ?
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:51 pm

^ I'm not a real expert here.
Despite what I wrote in the opening post, I would NOT recommend Dead Leaves nor Panty & Stockings as a first approach to Japanese animation. Mainly because they are pretty unique, fast-paced and totally crazy.

I'd go with Neon Genesis Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop, both sci-fi, both awesome. Canaan is a good action-thriller.
If you want a movie, instead, go with some Studio Ghibli work: My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away... Plenty of good works to start with.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:13 pm

This is probably some sort of egregious sin, but I haven't watched My Neighbor Totoro before. Since I am stranded in Southern Georgia with vehicle problems, I might as well give it a watch :) On a side note, chef, I have found Crunchyroll to be a great place for free streaming. Naruto, Attack on Titan, and Log Horizon in particular are available.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:45 pm

@chef: I'd choose one from Slartie's list, or a Studio Ghibli movie. As a side note, if you decide to watch Dragon Ball, be sure to go with the original series before watching Dragon Ball Z. I'd also go with Japanese audio with subs over English dub, cause personally I think the dub for DB sucks ass.

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:20 pm

@chef - Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, I'd say. The English dub is great, but if you can deal with subtitling, you can check the series out right on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FMABrotherhood/videos

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks everybody
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]