Just joining the BBQ crew

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
nassausky
apt-getter

Just joining the BBQ crew

Unread post by nassausky » Wed May 06, 2015 11:43 pm

Hey All I brought some burgers and bullseye sauce, hope you don't mind a newcomer to the roast.

Just wanted to say hi and I am always involved with all sorts of fun projects and this seems like one of them. That's what I do, I just try to learn new tips or tricks and use the tricks to make friends, family and the occasional client learn a little and have an easier time working on their own PC projects. I love the idea of starting a linux from almost bare bones. Having a live distribution that I can add bits and pieces without having to create it from complete scratch is why I like a slimmed down version like chickenwings. It has a basic GUI and the network tools to get started adding components.

Let's see since I'm here hanging out with you guys/gals for a bit, I just wanted to thank everyone for their seeds they give me to grow and learn some more bbq specialties.

Now for some more fun. FIguring out how to make a modified snapshot of the new bbq specialty I put together now with chicken-a-licken-wings. I hope I can dig through a quick and easy way to do that cause it seems like time is a precious thing to find these days for me.

:)
Have a good day all

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Re: Just joining the BBQ crew

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu May 07, 2015 12:07 am

Welcome to the grill, nassausky! A snappy "sudo bbqsnapshot" should make the iso for you from what you already have.

And:
machinebacon wrote:Remember: When you produce a snapshot with bbqsnapshot, the /home/$USER/ folder is the one which will be the live session, and the /etc/skel folder is the installed session for new users.
Be sure to toss a screenshot in /usr/bin/scrot ;D
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu May 07, 2015 1:30 am

Welcome nassausky.

Work hard; Complain less

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu May 07, 2015 2:05 am

Welcome to the grill, nassausky!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 07, 2015 2:20 am

Welcome Mr Nassau, great that you wrapped up some burgers for us :D

Good luck with your first remaster, usually it's an easy thing. Do it like this:

- keep the username "user", this is the one for the live session and will be removed after the live ISO is installed
- copy your config files from /home/user/ to /etc/skel/
- if you want auto login for the live session, edit /etc/inittab and change

Code: Select all

1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
to

1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -a user tty1
the installer will recreate the 'original' inittab
- run "frenchmaid" before you make a snapshot
- when you come to the editing of the /etc/network/interfaces file, only keep

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
there, so the new user has a virgin network setup

Let us know how it goes and scrot it :)
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Thu May 07, 2015 3:38 am

Will do.. I just grabbed the chicken wings to grill and they're burning now. Had it on the grill too long.. I ran the cleanup before the snapshot and for the test leaving pretty much everything at it's default, I'm at the 5th text file which is showing the folders I want to keep in the image. Not sure what to keep. It's showing:

1.1GiB for /lib
389MiB for /usr

Do i just (d) delete the /lib from the choice? or do I have to traverse and pick and choose other specific items for a basic snapshot?

Sorry for the confusion..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 07, 2015 3:51 am

No no, keep these directories unchanged, if you remove lib you will end up with an unbootable system :D

The only thing you can remove is stuff in your /home/user and /etc/skel folder (not much though), and a bit in /var -- though, keep it as it is for now.

The dialog on your screenshot is for showing the files according to size, a bit graphically, just to see if there are cached files on the future ISO or not.

1.1G for /lib is a bit much (mine has around 300MB here), can you press 'Enter' on /lib and take another scrot? Or did you download some kernels and didn't remove them? ;)
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Thu May 07, 2015 3:59 am

Here is following the /live/mount structure:

and here is following down to /live/mount/rootfs/filesystem.squashfs

Edit:
No kernels
Just changed the background, terminal colors, and updated the packages.
I ran frenchmaid to clean everything before i ran bbqsnapshot
Can't think of anything else of significance that I did except I clicked OK when it said copying files but the dialog seemed stale like it was expecting me to click ok and that it was really done copying files.

Edit2:
I should mention too I'm running this in virtualbox. Tried it again and /var/log/bbqsnapshot.log says there is no space on drive. Hmm somehow I have to allocate space for it. I thought by giving the virtualbox 6 gig of ram it would be enough to boot and create a snapshot remaster. I increased the virtualbox to 8gig of RAM and it didn't make a different it stops the ISO at like 32Meg. Is there any preparation I need to do for a virtualbox session?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 07, 2015 5:00 am

Okay, so there are two problems:

1) you need a fixed drive size in VirtualBox (not dynamic) - RAM does not play a significant role, anything above 1GB is enough
Create a new machine in Virtualbox, give it 5GB of hard disk space and 2048MB of RAM, then mount the ISO to boot from it (like you did until now), then boot the virtualbox

2) you have to install chickenwings, else you have to modify the script. So, do these:
- copy your configuration files to /etc/skel
- run "sudo bbqinstall /dev/sda /dev/sda1" - usually, the device in virtualbox is /dev/sda, the partition is /dev/sda1, you can check this before you run the installer, with "sudo fdisk -l"
- the installer usually excludes the /lib/live/mount folder, which is nothing else than the image of the live session, just for your information :) so, if the /lib folder is around 150-300MB in size, you are safe.
- reboot the VM, log in as 'root' password 'root', create a new user "adduser user", exit root, then log in as "user"
- run "sudo bbqsnapshot"
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Thu May 07, 2015 5:13 am

Thanks @machinebacon. I think that might solve all the problems. It's getting late and will play tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. Will keep posted.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 07, 2015 6:00 am

Cool, have a good night :)
..gnutella..

vim
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by vim » Thu May 07, 2015 6:51 am

I think it is not really nessesary to use "bbqinstall". I roast and reroast live-versions direct from live-cd. I do not edit /etc/skel. I use /etc/xdg and /home/user for individual stuff.I modified the (perhaps incorrect) scripts. Details see my Hallo-Thread http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=2078

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu May 07, 2015 8:47 am

Hello nasausky, welcome to the grill. I see that you have it all fired up, have fun!

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu May 07, 2015 9:51 am

welcome funky Nassau.
do remember to change your avatar to something nicer ;)

<<- Like mine :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:06 am

Welcome Nassausky from a fellow Chicken Wings User.
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Thu May 07, 2015 7:24 pm

So sweet it is to be BBQing!

Here we go. I first remastered it after installing it to a virtualbox SDA and now have been reading and saw someone actually was able to remaster it live by just changing /usr/local/bin/bbqsnapshot script and adding a parameter to exclude as so:

--exclude = "/ lib / live / mount" 
after

rsync -av --progress / myfs / --delete 
Here's my first shot

So Nice!! Thanks..
Maybe a quick question. How do I add am/pm to the clock on the top right . I know it's using Joe's Window Manager from the linuxbbq-chickenwings but not sure where or what the code is to modify the time format on the desktop.
Last edited by pidsley on Thu May 07, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: please don't post huge images

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu May 07, 2015 7:29 pm

I edited your post to use postimage.org -- see this topic for more information.

(edit) bacon and dr are right about tint2 -- I did not look closely at the scrot, just assumed since it was chickenwings that you were using the jwm panel.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu May 07, 2015 7:30 pm

nassausky wrote: Maybe a quick question. How do I add am/pm to the clock on the top right . I know it's using Joe's Window Manager from the linuxbbq-chickenwings but not sure where or what the code is to modify the time format on the desktop.
This should answer that question, presuming we are talking about tint2: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1557

Edit: 99.999% chance that pidsley's correct. Follow him :D
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 07, 2015 7:34 pm

That looks like tint2, so the best would be to edit ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1557

Time formats are explained in the manpage of 'date'.

/edit wow, we got it all right :D

Remember to restart tint2 after changing the config.
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Fri May 08, 2015 1:35 am

pidsley wrote:I edited your post to use postimage.org -- see this topic
That's great. I will use that next time.

I knew the time function just wasn't sure what the time was running as which was tint2 and it was easy reconfiguring the time display.
Thanks all.