Whatt is up everyone! + A Question

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
jobss
Distrowatcher

Whatt is up everyone! + A Question

Unread post by jobss » Thu May 14, 2015 3:59 pm

Hello! This is my first post here, and I am getting used to how things are worded around here so I am confused on where to put my question.

I was wondering why LinuxBBQ is light on resources, because as I understand it, you guys use Debian packages, and back when I used Debian I used to idle low, about 120 meg on openbox but once I started an application like Chrome or Firefox RAM usage would go to around 280 ish and with other applications like libreoffice, VLC and leafpad I would get RAM usage of about 600 meg.

So I was wondering how is LinuxBBQ so light on its feet? I did see some screen shots of users installs and they would have a tiling window manager ( which I know does not take up a lot of RAM ) for their clean scrot and they would have a scrot with them having a whole bunch of windows open and RAM usage with about 4 - 6 apps open only increases about 200 meg.

Is the base distro compiled with a different complier then glibc like musl or uclibc? Or do you use a toolchain optimized for lightweight environments. Do you guys have your own repository where the applications are optimized for size? Or are some directories compressed in RAM?

I did see a post about someone using a modified busybox and got idle ram usage down to 40 meg of ram! I sure would like to get down to that usage of RAM.

Once I get the time I will install LinuxBBQ and try it on for size.

BTW I came here by accident I was originally trying to get to BBQLinux, but I typed it in backwards in the search engine and here I am!
Last edited by jobss on Thu May 14, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Re: Whatt is up everyone!

Unread post by simgin » Thu May 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Welcome to the grill jobss, and thanks for an intro :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Re: Whatt is up everyone!

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu May 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the intro, jobss! If it helps you with your question, I know that pidsley has been able to get Ubuntu running under 70mb here so I am pretty sure it can be achieved under any distro. It is just a matter of eliminating bloat :D
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: Whatt is up everyone! + A Question

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu May 14, 2015 5:14 pm

damn boy, that typo just saved your life! or it might cost it, who knows? let's see how you play your cards.

the reason all the bbq scrots you see are low on ram while using 4-6 apps is because they are not using the 4-6 apps you'd probably use. libreoffice and vlc have a reasonable amount of dependencies, lots of which are visual. in short, they are GUI apps. most grillers like to use TUI apps instead to stay low on resources and relatively bloatfree. in fact, some of us even use textbrowsers instead of GUI browsers (uncharted territory for me). so i suppose that should explain a lot.

some people with more technical knowledge might come along to explain more shit at some point.

in the end, it is the bbq that provides a base: the meat. you season to your liking. if you want libreoffice and vlc, you are free to install them. they will not be included on the meat, which has only had the most basic (yet thorough) preparation. this ensures that every griller has control over their own meat, and will get exactly the taste that they like. not sure how to make it taste good? ask Google everything about your ingredients and how to put them together. still no luck? ask your fellow grillers for some help. simple as that.

for more on these ideas, read the bbq philosophy: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/BBQ_Philosophy

welcome to the grill steve ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu May 14, 2015 5:20 pm

Yep, what rhow said.
For instance, I over-bloated LinuxBBQ Haggis to the point I sometimes dream of Bacon coming to my office and slap me badly in my GTK face.

Anyways, welcome.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 14, 2015 5:32 pm

Hello and welcome!

Usually, the 32 bit releases idle at around 35MB RAM, and the pstree shows around 5 processes running -- namely dhcpd (if needed), udevd (which is needed), login (which is where we come from) and a getty or two. Give it a try, for example Bork! (which is the heavy one, coming with GTK dependencies) or Chicken Wings (free of GTK), both idle at 35MB on my IBM Thinkpad T43 and also on my netbooks that all have less than 1GB RAM (partly even just 512).
We still go with sysvinit, so this plays into our cards. I eliminate all services and pack the ISO up, so that people can later add their printers, SSH server or Samba -- IMO, this is not the most important shit that should run when you install a system, but rather added later.

We use plain Debian vanilla, sysvinit, and some experimental packages.

We had different tries with different base systems and toolchains, so far we have Ubuntu, Fedora, Busybox plus Kernel, Slackware and Buildroot covered, but Debian has proven to be the easiest (as in 'most comfortable') distro to build with, while there are some limitations in creating the super-low resources systems like buildroot or busybox+kernel, mostly because either the graphics drivers don't compile or the package dependencies are not easy to satisfy. It's a grill, after all.
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu May 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Welcome to the grill jobss, season up!!! Then chill and enjoy :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu May 14, 2015 11:23 pm

Everything important was already covered. That is the thing, we do not add a different compiler or some hocus-pocus other people advertise their distros with to be lightweight and resource friendly. It is just plain and simple and comes with less, a lot less things by default. Then the user decides how to bloat up his/her system.

Welcome to the BBQ.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu May 14, 2015 11:42 pm

It was all said already.

The accidental tourist. Welcome.

Work hard; Complain less

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri May 15, 2015 5:07 am

GekkoP wrote:For instance, I over-bloated LinuxBBQ Haggis to the point I sometimes dream of Bacon coming to my office and slap me badly in my GTK face.
Annnnd there's my new sig for a while... :)

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Fri May 15, 2015 5:09 am

^ lol'd

Welcome to grill jobss.
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri May 15, 2015 5:11 am

Welcome to the grill, jobss. Everyone has it covered already. If you like openbox, BORK! is an excellent release. Take a walk on the TUI side.

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:29 am

Welcome to the grill and enjoy the BBQ there are some damn sexy releases like Bork to be played with.Enjoy:)
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.