Meet the meat!

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Meet the meat!

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:57 pm

If stuff is already cut and prepared like on TV, cooking is really just a matter of minutes. Love to stand by the street vendors here in Asia, when they quickly whip up something to eat (and it's absolutely delicious!)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:16 pm

thread revival!
So what's DJ doing here? cooking up WMs and so-on, got his own youtube burger vid...
good BBQ tips.... hungry.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/videos/index ... ger-dj-bbq
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

rstrcogburn wrote:mayonaise, pear, relish, celery, etc. .
That's basically the standard base for any type of garden salad, and what I believe most people should really go for when preparing salads in general. It's all about balance, as they say; sweet + tangy, acidic + rich, fruit + vege.

I usually grab a couple of apples; one red, one green - reds are sweet and greens are more sour/tangy - and dice them up. Then I add an equal amount of celery, also thinly diced. Break up a few walnuts. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice. To that, I usually mix and match, depending on what I have in stock. Sometimes it's red fish meat (smoked and slightly salty is best), or a few different types of ham/coldcuts, or steamed bits of chicken. Top off with some mayonnaise* (slightly sweetened to balance out the saltiness from the ham or smoked fish) and some herbs (I just use dried mixed herbs that come in small bottles, since I live in a humid part of the world and fresh ones don't keep long). If you're not keen on mayo, you can use yoghurt, or even use a combo of feta or chevre with some balsamic reduction. Basically an entire balanced meal, perfect for people who don't like to spend time cooking. Change things up often enough and it almost never gets old.

* anyone who likes salad should learn to make their own mayonaise. It's not that hard, and way safer then the types you buy at supermarkets.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 pm

I had a salad last night. It had bacon-wrapped chicken breast chunks with dried cranberries, almonds, and a balsamic vinaigrette and wine dressing.

Not bad.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:41 pm

WTF can I do with this?
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-com ... _200g.html
I mean what would a Hungarian do with it?
i was thinking of frying a few morsels with some bacon, then putting it on a salad...
I was gonna buy some chorizo, then i saw this on offer.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:26 pm

That's excellent! Mangalica kolbasz is excellent. You would use it for something like Paprikas Krumpli, an easy-peasy Hungarian (student) dish. http://www.examiner.com/article/paprika ... arian-stew

Just my opinion :)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:52 pm

thanks!
mmh I couldn't wait, i fried a 1/4 with some bacon + mushrooms - paints the mushrooms a lovely paprika colour.
Dumped it over some salad, bread... yummy.

gonna try that stew over the weekend, letting it mature a bit 8)
bit more gentle than chorizo, just my opinion too...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Mangalica is quite a 'famous' pig in Hungary and apparently only 'grows' there :D I have read/heard that it is extremely low on cholesterine (sp?), at least compared to other swines ;)

The PK recipe I usually do like this:
Get a pot, put in some lard, add a handful of bacon cubes, and an onion in cubes, let it heat up and turn golden, add two-three spoonful of paprika powder, stir wildly, add the wedges of potato, the sausage in rings, and just as much water that the potatoes are *not* covered. Salt/pepper/garlic as you please. Put the heat down, close the lid, let the thing simmer, watch kitteh videos on youtube, go back to the pot, stir, read 9gag, go back and stir again, the potatoes are OK if they start to fall apart and the fluid around it is thick. Get some pickled cucumbers aside, a slice of bread that is cut like a wedge, eat standing or between keyboard and screen.
..gnutella..

johnraff
Sperminator

Unread post by johnraff » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:24 pm

edit: Uh-oh I missed a whole page of posts again...

Anyway that salad sounds pretty good.
Or maybe just boil then and eat with a dab of mustard and some brown bread - salad on the side. (Maybe don't need the mustard if they're spicy.)
Or put those fried morsels in fried rice.
Or cook them in a tomato sauce.
Goa has a sausage curry.
But Bacon's clued you in on the real Hungarian approach.
Last edited by johnraff on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All code is one.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Now that ^^ Is a real mans recipe! none of this 12.6g of this 3/10ths of a spoon of sugar. It will be followed this w/e!
Reminds me of a ghoulasch (sp?) recipe.
yeah funny hairy/furry pig - low in cholesterol? great. 8)

pickled cucumumbers might be hard to find... Oh - Dill pickles seem the same. -ugh;
Kool-Aid pickles
Kool-Aid pickles or "koolickles", enjoyed by children in parts of the Southern United States,[10] are created by soaking dill pickles in a mixture of Kool-Aid and pickle brine.
@johnraff 'Or put those fried morsels in fried rice' <- yes, good idea - fusion at its best.
mustard would be overkill, i think.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:35 am

Mmmmm, paprikaš, one of the things we learned from the Hungarians.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:06 am

found these on my phone, last month's trip to Hainan:
Attachments
C360_2013-09-27-13-26-05-674.jpg
C360_2013-09-27-13-27-44-492.jpg
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:52 am

yummy.
very short grain rice there. like japanese rice.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:20 am

yes, this must be a local variant of the island or an imported Vietnamese version, because it was - to be honest - not of good quality. :)
..gnutella..

johnraff
Sperminator

Unread post by johnraff » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:21 pm

What's that on the rice - abalone?
All code is one.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 pm

^ its surely BACON!! what else?
or belly pork thinly sliced.

yeah the rice looks mealy.

johnraff
Sperminator

Unread post by johnraff » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm

^yeh now I remember to click it to full size, it looks like sliced pork belly. Probably good.

btw Bacon how was Hainan?
All code is one.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Abalone :D

Yeah, that's Samgyeopsal ;) or also known as Wuhuarou (five layered meat). Pic #2 is a Sichuanese variant of Jiaozi (dumplings), swimming in a chili broth. Moderately spicy.
Hainan was great, finally something that resembles vacation; the regional trademark fruit is the coconut, so you can imagine it's a great place. Food was nice, local food is a bit on the light side, but there are literally kilometers of food stalls from all over Asia, of course with focus on domestic cuisine. Will definitely go there again, it was many times better than Hong Kong in every aspect. Plus, flying from here takes 45 minutes and costs like 60USD/400CNY, decent hotels go for 20USD/140CNY a night, and the island can be explored by train and bus, it takes ~3 hours from north to south. This time I was in the north, the capitol Haikou. Next time I'll go to the south, to Sanya, which is unfortunately the center of tourism -- so I should go between public/bank holidays.
..gnutella..

johnraff
Sperminator

Unread post by johnraff » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:33 pm

^Hainan's a heavy-duty domestic Chinese tourist destination these days? Many foreign visitors?
A (Japanese) friend went there many years ago and I got the impression that then it was a pretty isolated, nothing-happening type place.
All code is one.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Absolutely. The recent 'new rich' from the Mainland have bought real estate there (in the last 10-15 years), and it's a domestic tourist destination. Before I went there I already checked online sources, and all agree in that point. It was an isolated and poor-ish province in the past, but actually it is a clean, wealthy, well-organized place, you can literally feel that they very much care about leaving a good impression on their guests. Definitely one of the more pleasant places over here (Okay, I generally like the South more than the Central or Northern part)

And I have seen more foreigners in one week in Hainan than in a year in my hometown here. Still, no way as many as in Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou or Hong Kong.
..gnutella..