introduction

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
a-109-107
Riesenpenis

introduction

Unread post by a-109-107 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:58 pm

I've been using Linux for 3 years now. Main reason I switched from Windows is because I found window management very unsatisfactory. I started with XMonad on Debian SID but I hit a limit with Haskell. Since then I moved to Arch and to i3wm a few months ago.

I posted here just a few days ago advertising a script I forked dynamic-xcolors, which let's me complete my latest color-related flow. The flow I wanted to achieve is:
+---------------------+ +--------------------------+ | | | | | g/vim color theme +---------------+ window manager theme | | | | | | | | | +----------------+----+ +--------------------------+ | | +--------------------------+ | | | | | Matching terminal schemes| | | Dynamically switchable | +------------------->+ | | | | | | | +--------------------------+
The loop is now complete, thanks to the themer script, and the above-mentioned.

I find ricing a enjoyable past-time and a nice thing to do inbetween more daunting tasks at work - that's why I'm here. Attached is a picture of what I'm sporting now - I turn gaps off most of the time.

I use urxvt, i3bar, dunst for notifications and use Luculent for the font everywhere.

On my 'rice-todo' list I have the following items pending

- prepare offlineimap/isync for use with mutt (tried 3 times now)
- finish my a dropdown term that would emulate quaketerm but respect different monitor sizes.

It's been ages since I've been active on a forum for purposes other than fixing something.

Do you guys hang out in irc somewhere?

ps. I only respect tiled wallpapers and have a sizeable stash of them if anyone wants anything from older windows versions
Attachments
2015-05-24--1432496310_1366x768_scrot.png

dkeg
Configurator

Re: introduction

Unread post by dkeg » Sun May 24, 2015 9:20 pm

nice intro a##.
Do you guys hang out in irc somewhere?
Yep

Code: Select all

#linuxbbq
on freenode

Nice scrot. Question: do you think you have enough of a use-case for a drop-down term? I ask b/c either way you would assign it a hotkey combo I'm assuming. So its either that or spawn a term. Don't mean to haggle on your project, just curious is all.
How about leveraging 'scratchpad'? FWIW, I thought I saw something around recently regarding a drop-down term, but don't remember where.

Welcome.

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun May 24, 2015 9:24 pm

welcome to the grill a-109-107.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

a-109-107
Riesenpenis

Unread post by a-109-107 » Sun May 24, 2015 10:03 pm

dkeg wrote:nough of a use-case for a drop-down term?
I added it to my xmonad halfway in my xmonad days and it really changed my flow a lot.
The use case I had was that I considered one tmux session a 'desktop' session, where I have my file navigator and a scratch-pad for launching/moving/installing stuff. This way the other tmuxes are 'clean' and hold only command related to that project.

I know of the scratch-pad feature in i3 and that's halfway to what I need. Because i3 is a bit limited when it comes to sizing windows - I can't just have a quake-like term across differently sized screens - or at least it's a few wizardry levels above me.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon May 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Nice intro. Thanks. Feel welcomed.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue May 26, 2015 2:21 am

Looks like you will be a fantastic asset to the community, a-109-107 :D Welcome to the 'bbq!
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue May 26, 2015 5:13 am

Welcome to the Linux beer festival ;)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue May 26, 2015 6:59 am

Welcome, good intro.
nice scrot, love the bar :)
I like the superscript workspaces idea.

a few guys at work use dropdown terms , because they have itty bitty laptops (compared to my old schleptop) and don't seem to like use the workspaces much.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Wed May 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Welcome to the bbq.