another noob

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
tane
Distrowatcher

another noob

Unread post by tane » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:17 pm

howdy, i ran across linuxbbq on hn yesterday. i'm a history student in my mid-20s, and over the last year i've gotten increasingly interested in linux as a kind of side-hobby. i switched both my desktop and my laptop to lubuntu, configured openwrt on a crummy router, and i love the sense of control i have over my devices now. i'm still relatively inexperienced and dumb, but i'm not afraid of cli anymore, and i liked the philosophy of linuxbbq. i've been poking around in a live session on my netbook (i found that even lubuntu leaves something to be desired as far as performance on an atom n450 with a gig of ram). i got as far as connecting to the internet and launching an i3 session piddling around for a while. it's exhilarating to have a deeper level of understanding of how everything works together.

anyway, i'm trying to figure stuff out on my own for the most part, but i hope to use linuxbbq as a launching point for really diving into linux. y'all seem chill too, so that's a plus.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: another noob

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Excellent tane, welcome! Make yourself at home

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Welcome to the BBQ!

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:40 pm

Welcome enjoy fiddling around and learning more the BBQ is fun.
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:20 am

Even most Arch or Gentoo posers go "Look, I'm bleeding edge" while they have their default D-Link or Asus firmware running the routers with almost default security settings, no hosts file, remote management left on (in the case of ISP issued routers) no cron jobs of any kind, no IP address filtering.... all topped off with a SSID visible in plain sight. You've got OpenWRT on your router, so I'd say you're at least a step above the average Linux noob, and probably a good few steps above the average poser. Welcome.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:28 am

welcome to the grill!

The spins here are designed to run on low-spec hardware and they are heavily tested on really old and low-spec netbooks, so I expect them to work well on an intel Atom :) i3 is very popular with the people here, I bet you already found the corresponding threads on the forums. TBH I find it to be a bit "too much", so I use spectrwm for tiling (hint hint)

Have a good one!
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:19 am

Welcome to the BBQ.
Also, what gslob said.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:48 am

welcome! read the BBQ Wiki-article on noobs to give yourself some reassurance: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Noob

also, we just welcomed a History Teacher, and now we have a History Student? guess you guys should connect... ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:31 am

Thank you for the intro tane, appreciate it. Welcome to the BBQ, I do hope you will enjoy yourself here as much as the rest of us do. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:14 am

Hey Tane,

Welcome to the BBQ - grab some ribs, a jack and coke and get 'figging :)

Not much of a description for our link in HN eh?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:59 pm

welcome
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

maso
Cam Whore

Unread post by maso » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:05 pm

History prof here, tane. I'm officially just days old here, but I've run bbq distros for about a year now. I have a eeepc 701 and the distros run nicely on it. Like you, it seems, I'm here to learn stuff.

(I get by through frantically googling the text of error messages till I find instructions for how to make them go away. Much later I figure out what I was actually doing -- e.g., compiling a program in C, installing libraries for writing to the framebuffer -- when following those instructions. Just looking at how bbq distros are put together is a crash course in Linux by itself.)
just say "thanks, man"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:56 pm

maso, tane, if you hadn't seen it already, check out the LinuxBBQ Academy. perfect for profs and students i'd say ;)
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2074
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:02 pm

history... that is a lot

maso
Cam Whore

Unread post by maso » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:58 pm

^^

I'll be going through the Academy on weekends, when time permits. Just glancing at it, I see that I could have saved a lot of time if I'd known about it earlier. Looks like there's a lot of stuff I learned in various difficult ways, and piecemeal, that is just laid out simply and systematically. There's probably even more stuff I half know, but now it's fully explained and totally comprehensible. So off to noob skool I go.
just say "thanks, man"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:09 am

you need them both maso. you are a prof, you know this probably from a teacher's point of view. sometimes no matter how well a textbook or a teacher explains something, a student needs to go through the trial-and-error process by him/herself in order to really understand the subject matter. this is especially true for beginners, because they need to make the subject their own. everybody's minds work differently, so there is no one way of learning or comprehending.

good luck!

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:01 am

Enjoy the learning journey Maso. You'll find BBQ's documentation better than most Linux Distro documentation I have seen.:)
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

Nili
Haxxor

Unread post by Nili » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:31 pm

You don't look noob tane, more then noob you look a completed hobist.

Welcome and have fun, Enjoy the BBQ adventure and experiences.
Devuan/XFCE