been lurking for a while

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
schmickel
Mr. Saggy Tits

been lurking for a while

Unread post by schmickel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:36 pm

I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd finally introduce myself. I'm completely addicted to distro-hopping and Linux in general. I've bought several books and tried so many distros I can't count them. I think the first bbq I tried was n00b ki11ah. Lately I've been tempted to completely switch to linux and possibly one of the BSDs, which I haven't tried. I still have windows on two of my computers just for games, but I find myself more interested in learning how to program, so I'm seriously pondering just reformatting the partitions and installing linux. I have been getting into minimalist WMs, and really want to learn the command line, but I don't know the best places to learn the different tui programs. I'd like to get to where I can only use tui programs and a WM like cwm or dwm. Also, I tend to rant and I'm slightly insane. By the way, smoothie is my new favorite.
This is my signature

dkeg
Configurator

Re: been lurking for a while

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:15 pm

Alright, schmickel, welcome.

You will learn by doing. Really. Will it happen instantly? No. But the ride is fun too. Hopefully you haven't fucked up smoothie yet. Start there. Rock out with your cock out.

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:21 pm

Welcome Schmickel!

You want to go all crazy minimal, you found the right place. Browse the forum and let it inspire you.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:40 pm

Welcome. Enjoy the minimalism ride and forget about games. From personal experience: leaving gaming behind (or at least as the last thing when I am really bored) just pushed me into learning more and more. ;)

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Welcome aboard
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Welcome to the grill!

If you want to live in a terminal and learn some basic scripting, I'd recommend you to force yourself for a week into TTY mode :)
Use tmux, screen or dvtm for window management. Get yourself three editors: emacs, vi/m and nano. Use each of them. Browse the web with elinks, links/2, lynx and w3m. Yes, get them all and try them. Watch movies in the framebuffer using mplayer's -vo fbdev2 switch. Music with mpg123 or cplay, images and PDFs can be viewed with fbi, and all documents can be written as LaTeX :)
There'll be a birthday spin up on the servers in a few hours, you might want to download it later ;)

As for TUI teaching, ask us and of course https://kmandla.wordpress.com/
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:58 pm

welcome to the bbq. for getting more used to TUI apps, just set yourself a challenge: install a no-X spin, and vow to spend two weeks doing all your work inside a terminal.
okay, i must say when i did that i did still keep a GUI-browser handy because no matter how much i try i just hate textbrowsing. but still, the challenge is valid for all the other parts of the OS-experience.

damn, bacon beat me to it. only a week? pffft! ;)

for tips and shit, browse the forums, read the Wiki (especially the shell tricks section), and uhm, continue as you were :)

oh yeah. here: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Terminal_Intro
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

schmickel
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by schmickel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks guys for all the advice and the links! I like it here already! I actually downloaded professional the other day to install on my 10 year old computer I decided to revive. The sound card went to shit, and the video card was already shit. I also decided to get some more RAM and a new CPU to boot. As soon as the parts get here, I'm diving in. :)
This is my signature

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Sounds like you are going to have a great time around here, schmickel ;) Welcome to the BBQ!
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:05 pm

schmickel wrote:I'd like to get to where I can only use tui programs and a WM like cwm or dwm. Also, I tend to rant and I'm slightly insane.
Sounds like you fit right in. Welcome.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:08 pm

Welcome to Grill schmickel ! Drop by the IRC sometimes: #linuxbbq at freenode. Don't get upset if no one replies due to timezone / work :)
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

maso
Cam Whore

Unread post by maso » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:36 pm

welcome. it's a great place to learn.

I second the force-yourself-to-use-only-the-terminal-for-a-while exercise. Taught me a great deal.

(Now I just wish there were a no-X pdf reader that was as flexible and feature-rich as, e.g., evince. Or at least could fit itself into a tmux panel. Then I could do nearly all my work X-less.)
just say "thanks, man"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:40 pm

^ maso, actually fbi can do that, at least remotely well, using ghostscript :) It would be a bliss if whizzytex/auctex would integrate with a framebuffer viewer (it doesn't yet), so that one can have a live preview.

Sad panda says: it won't fit in tmux -- the framebuffer overlays everything.
..gnutella..

maso
Cam Whore

Unread post by maso » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:57 pm

^^
mb: I've played with fbi and with green. Both do the full-screen thing. I've found that they work just fine for small, modern documents. That covers a lot of basic office work I have to do. Tried to install fbpdf a couple of times, but could never manage to do it.

I work a lot with pdfs of medieval manuscripts and early printed books of hundreds of pages, with the ms/book open on the right of the screen, and some editor on the left. That's what I would need to be able to do to go without X almost entirely.
just say "thanks, man"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:05 pm

^ Oh yes, this sounds like you need a real reader there. I'll check fbpdf with mupdf on Monday and let you know :)
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Welcome to the grill schmickel, sharpen your tools and have a great TUI ride :)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

schmickel
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by schmickel » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:45 am

I realized I never said much about myself other than the fact I use linux. I also enjoy playing the guitar, which I suck at. I've recently started modifying my guitars, which I also suck at. I like to read sci-fi and fantasy, I work at a shipping company, and am an all-around lazy asshole. I spend a lot of my free time lately looking for new things to suck at. A pleasure to make your acquaintance.
This is my signature

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:40 am

at least you don't suck at sucking! :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:38 am

Schmickel, which corner of the world are you writing us from?

And welcome again to GuitarBBQ, there are quite a lot of guitar players (who suck more or less) on board. What's your main axe, how did you mod it?
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:08 am

Hey Schmikel - yup, sounds like you'll definitely fit in around here.

Getting an older computer and getting a noX install on it is great fun, really get used to Tmux (or screen for GNU lovers) and, if everything on a 'normal' install borks out, one can dive into the shell without any fear.
you may find - with other grillers, the nox is a non distracting environment to do writing/programming.

I work with TUI only servers and the BBQ really gave me the confidence to use coreutils to file manage and all those other things (but I use it in X with term emulator and tmux otherwise)

Have fun!
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"