Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:09 am

^^ location field says: tennessee
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: been lurking for a while

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:12 am

@Baconface: his location says "Tennessee", so i assumed that as truth ;)

damn Wux beat me to it :/
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

schmickel
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by schmickel » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:15 am

Well, Machinebacon, I live in Millington, Tennessee, USA. I actually have two main axes. I have a Squier Vintage Modified 70's strat that I haven't done much with yet. I have a new pickguard with a Brian May style switching system that I'm planning on putting in it when I have the time, as it will take several hours straight. My other, and favorite, is a Squier '51, that I've modified with a few pickups from guitarfetish.com. Anyway, I'm really glad I introduced myself. This is a really great community. @wuxmedia, I actually have an old Dell Dimension that I just ordered new parts for, and a Dell Inspiron 1501 that my fiance's had lying around for several years. I ordered a new charger for it and don't even know if it works or not. If I can get it working, I'm planning on installing adipositas and maybe slackware or gentoo or funtoo. Never installed gentoo/funtoo before, so it should be fun. I was thinking of doing linux from scratch on the Dimension, and putting smoothie on it, too. I've been using linux off and on since 2009, and I think it's high time I actually learned this shit.
This is my signature

schmickel
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by schmickel » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:37 am

rhowaldt wrote:at least you don't suck at sucking! :D
Indubitably!
This is my signature

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:39 am

^^^ all that speedy bandwidth sitting on the Network hub of South Asia, still not quick enough :p

^^ "Brian May"? oh if you like Queen you will be happy here :)
Yeah LFS and gentoo are on my list too... be happy to hear how it goes... primarily so i don't have to do it :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:52 pm

fwiw: i simply read through the LFS documentation and that already taught me a bunch. never actually got round to trying it, and now that i have a system up and running i can't be bothered anymore :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:01 pm

LFS is a good platform for learning inner things and say to yourself: "Damn, I made it"

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:33 pm

^ Really? All I ended up saying was, "Damn, I need a life"

Welcome,lurking person. Wow. You play guitar AND look like that villian from the ninja turtles. A true shredder.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:12 pm

schmickel, the Brian May switching must be the single coils out of phase, right? Coil 1 and 3, phase-off, and you have the Brian-May-BoRhap-screaming solo sound. What amp do you use?
Love your choice of guitars, the 51 Strat/tele hybrid is lovely too.

Have fun with funtoo (and give yourself enough time and CPU power), I wouldn't bother LFS (again), because you won't really learn much by copy-pasting the shit from the manual without really digging into the make process. Takes hours and brings little :)
..gnutella..

schmickel
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by schmickel » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Yeah, rhowaldt pretty much said the same about LFS. I'll just read the book and see if I can learn something. That's pretty much the same reason I wanted to install funtoo/gentoo/whateverthefucktoo. I want to learn how everything works under the hood instead of "click this shiny button and we'll install everything for you!" I'm also reading How Linux Works: What Every Superuser Should Know by Brian Ward, for the same reason. As to my amp, I'm poor, so I just use an Acoustic b15 practice bass amp. I watched a video a while back that showed bass amps are actually pretty damn good for guitars. Better frequency response, supposedly. I'm no expert, but it's a really good, cheap amp. The switching system is this one http://www.guitarfetish.com/BHM-Style-S ... _1182.html. They have some cool stuff, but the descriptions for their items are about 70% bullshit sometimes.
This is my signature

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:00 pm

In my opinion, running CRUX (and hanging out on their IRC channel) will teach you more than Gentoo or LFS. I have used all three at one point or another, and CRUX is the only system I still maintain.

As for learning more TUI, every time you are tempted to start a GUI app to do something (editor, file manager, music player, etc) ask yourself if there is a way to do the same thing in a terminal. Then go learn how to do it. If you find yourself doing the same thing many times (even something simple like mounting drives from the command line) write an alias or learn how to write a script to do the same thing. Look at other people's simple scripts and aliases (we have threads for these -- especially the "command-line tricks" thread).

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=695

scripts are here : viewforum.php?f=15

schmickel
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by schmickel » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:53 pm

I've actually attempted to install Kwort, a derivative of CRUX, in the past. I never got very far. I read a little of the CRUX handbook a while back and really liked some of the concepts but thought it would take too much time. I work nights now, so I have plenty of time. I think I'll take your advice and try CRUX whenever I get enough free time to play with it. I just bought on an IBM Thinkpad T41. Assuming it works when it gets here, it seems like the perfect candidate to learn some CRUX/tui skills on. Thanks everyone for all your advice. It really means a lot to be welcomed like this in a community of people who I've never even met.

Edit: I just remembered that CRUX is 64-bit only, so I can't use it on my Thinkpad when it gets here, but I can always put it on my HP.
Last edited by schmickel on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my signature

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:12 pm

There are a couple of people here who have installed CRUX, and the people on their IRC channel are very helpful, so you should be able to get help either here or there if you need it.

Probably the biggest hurdle is learning how to build a kernel for your hardware, but it's really not that difficult.

schmickel
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by schmickel » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:30 pm

I've also thought of trying Source Mage. I like obscure things, I guess. I'm not afraid of building my own kernel, and I'm fairly technically inclined, so the manual should be enough when I get a chance to install CRUX. I might check out the IRC anyway, and the bbq's while I'm at it. Thanks again.
This is my signature

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:04 am

^ another Thinkpad owner :p think it's just me and rhow without one.
There's a thread on here somewhere about them.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:48 am

I have a junk yard of 'em, but none working. My work machine is a Thinkpad, but that's work, and W7

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:00 pm

wuxmedia wrote:^ another Thinkpad owner :p think it's just me and rhow without one.
There's a thread on here somewhere about them.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=922

Here it is :)
..gnutella..