EDC, gadgets and gear stuff

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Re: EDC, gadgets and gear stuff

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:53 am

^ then LG 55EG910T is what you probably looking for. It's around 900-1050€ here max.
rice no more.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:57 am

I'll check it out, thank you.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:28 am

We just use a dumb TV but it has HDMI. Of course it is flat and real HD but nothing more. It was very cheap and it is not connected to the cable provider because no TV here since 2003. But we use it for Netflix, with a Chrome Cast and have a Blu-ray player. The only thing I dislike about it, is the poor sound and nowadays it seems too small.

Edit: I forgot to add I do not even know what OLED is. Our TV I think is just LED.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:52 am

^ Like mine, then, a regular LED TV. Which isn't bad, of course, but I had the chance to see an LG OLED in action recently and I was overwhelmed. I'm not sure how LG compares to other OLEDs, or whether Samsung QLED is better or not, but those LGs last week just blew my eyes off.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:43 am

^ they are damn slick
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:23 am

That's erlite3 & unifi ap ac. Also bought some switch (not pictured). Will use the erlite as a load balancer (2 WAN). Will probably buy more of the latter.
Attachments
IMG_20180817_204626.jpg
rice no more.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:52 pm

^ I envy your decisiveness.

I still have no idea how I want to upgrade my network stack. The further down the rabbit hole I go, the more questions I end up asking myself.

It started out simple - Upgrade router to something open source or with a guarantee of security/firmware updates, switch VPN provider, maybe get a separate hardware firewall. Done.

But then I started "inadvertently stumbling onto" shit like Asus Merlin firmware, building dedicated Intel NUC based router to handle routing, firewall and VPN envryption/decryption, learning Ansible, and renting a (supposedly) no-logs VPS from motherfuckin Bulgaria to roll my own VPN so that I can get the right combination of protocols that I want for home (Wireguard) and mobile use (IKEv2/IPsec).

I haven't even started buying any actual hardware and I'm already terrified. >_<

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:49 pm

^ I can sort you out with a VPN. french, dutch or UK?
you may have to bear with me while I fgoogle those terms.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:52 am

The new kid in the block: https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-UP9 ... ray-player

Now only the huge TV is missing, but I am happy already.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 am

ahh to not have kids. I just dropped a ton on their scouts uniforms :/ that could have gone to a nice surround system or a pi3 to play stuff from...

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:54 am

^ To be fair, that LG is a birthday present, which will go pretty well with another present I got: The Charlie Chaplin Complete Collection (Artificial Eye's boxset).

Oh, I love the family.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:05 pm

I went and bought the pi3 anyway. :D

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:13 am

Recently acquired: Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2nd gen (2014). The previous owner didn't like it one bit, left the thing gathering dust at his house. So i bought it, for $110 it's not a bad deal i guess.

The touchbar doesn't look perfect, but it works in linux (with a bit of hair pulling). Keyboard is weird, i remapped everything to a saner keymap ( Home and End as Ctrl, Ctrl as Escape, Escape as backtick / tilde). Touchpad taps and gestures are turned off because it's annoying. Traded the wqhd touchscreen panel for a standard panel, got an extra $30 as the result.

Good enough as a daily driver.
Attachments
IMG_20180915_151320.jpg
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:48 pm

wow, holy shit my daily driver is a 2012 :D (model #3448) actually :(
what a stupid keyboard. I guess that is why it's so cheap

wait a minute! your forum draft on the image says $120 did the $currency fluctuate that much that day:D

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:31 pm

^ well it's because my currency (IDR) fluctuated a lot against USD lately. To give you some idea: 1,650,000 IDR equals $110 today, and almost $118 just a few days ago. Not my fault the economy collapsing

I agree that's a stupid keyboard.
rice no more.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Stupid keyboard or not, actually it is stupid, it is a Thinkpad! Well done.

Let me see again, my daily driver is from 2009. :D

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Yeah, in a usual thinkpad keyboard (I think they stopped messing with it after this one) I mean it it's a bit annoying to have Fn in place of what is generally Ctrl, but I haven't noticed a lot of difference. (I cheaped out and never bought the lenovo bluetooth keyboard for my desktop)

and those X1's with the funny 'adaptive' function row still go for 300 GBP as far as i can see.
What's it's specs?

^^ currency collapse - All that US money injected in the 90's/ 00's wasn't it? -- I could complain about the euro but it's not that bad on a shopping trip - buying a house yeah - but we already got lucky in 2005 to buy our place (two 'yes it's for a car' loans please Mr bank) before the credit bubble burst in the UK and Europe. Fun fact, 6 years passes and you live in a country which doesn't have a reciprocating term for credit defaulters, no-one gives a fuck about your debt... 10 years after defaulting a fair amount (not bankruptcy) I happily have great credit now! (three fucking cards of 2G+ each) go figure...I'm half tempted to rack up a stupid bill and fuck off back to France for another 10 years just before the brexit shit kicks in.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:07 pm

oh yeah. On amazon day I got the wife an Asus chromebook, as she is more than content to have one - It was 100GBP which is mental for a brand new machine not very exciting specs.
As the other one (lenovo n22) had it's hinges fucked (don't close it with pens in darling) and the kids have it now.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:39 am

^^ Currency stuff -- I don't really follow what's what and who's who on my country recent inflation rate and currency collapse, so i don't really know what's causing it other than the obvious gross overspending by the gov't, racking up debts in RMB, USD, GBP, JPY, and prolly Arab money as well. With that being said, i do have a pretty good credit rep. :)

Damn wux, that's some great friggin credit you got there, i would be tempted to splurge on something ridiculous if i were in that position.

The one i bought is an i7-4600u, WQHD screen / panel (replaced), 8Gigs Ram, 240Gigs SSD, long lasting battery (lasts about 3 minutes easy), and a weird non-standard ethernet port. I ordered a chinese-made replacement unit for that X1 touchpad or clickpad, or whatever it is really called, replacing it with the 2015 X1 one.

^^^ Your T400 is still something i would gladly buy if i can find one that's relatively intact near my neck of the woods. It still has everything that makes a thinkpad a thinkpad, and that's all that matters. Plus libreboot capable.
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 am

franksinistra wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:39 am
Damn wux, that's some great friggin credit you got there, i would be tempted to splurge on something ridiculous if i were in that position.
Maybe - you have to pay it back though :D
frank wrote: The one i bought is an i7-4600u, WQHD screen / panel (replaced), 8Gigs Ram, 240Gigs SSD, long lasting battery (lasts about 3 minutes easy), and a weird non-standard ethernet port. I ordered a chinese-made replacement unit for that X1 touchpad or clickpad, or whatever it is really called, replacing it with the 2015 X1 one.
Ahh OK my one is an i5 something with 8g and 240G SSD. the battery does do around 3 hours if the panel is on low and powertopped down, cpu not doing much (thanks to i3). So I feel a bit better :D more than enough time to do some work in bed before getting up :) I have to use a USB To ethernet jack.
update: I have one card with 3 grand GBP limit now, didn't ask for it. I've been riding 0% cards (not now though) so had to keep an eye on shit, internet access makes it very easy.