EDC, gadgets and gear stuff

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Re: EDC, gadgets and gear stuff

Unread post by franksinistra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:38 am

Just added a Koss Porta Pro headphone to my EDC replacing my sennheiser rs170, after 5 years of watching my coworker carry the former and that shit never breaks.
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 am

Hmm, bit of a big price drop after the wireless Senny's - you cheaping out on us Frank?
I had a pair of 70's/80's maybe koss ear defender style headphones for DJaying. fucking awesome for 'in the mix' , not sure what happened to them in the end
Yeah these fuckers:
koss.jpg
Also, haven't changed my stuff since thread opened. :) I now have a neat wind up roller extendable USB cable for the phone (not sure what it's really called), which - yes surprise surprise I found :)
Also miniDP to HDMI cable and USB3 to RJ45 for gig speeds at work. and an optical drive to burn CD's for the car (otherwise my phone and bluetooth provides the tunes)

I was looking at getting a fitbit or something but fuck that. to much money for a pedcounter and calorie counter. Half thinking of getting a 'smart' watch, which might combine them but fuck that also, hate the phone beeping enough.
someone gave me their nice Shure earphones, which are a bit over engineered for me and an absolute fucking faff to put on (have to go over the ear and then stuffed in the ear hole, or vice versa works) But they are great for a long train journey.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:10 pm

wuxmedia wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 am
someone gave me their nice Shure earphones, which are a bit over engineered for me and an absolute fucking faff to put on (have to go over the ear and then stuffed in the ear hole, or vice versa works) But they are great for a long train journey.
Yeah, "over engineered" is definitely a good descriptor for Shure in-ears. They're built well, though you need to be careful with the cable connectors (MMCX type connectors have a rather checkered history). My problem with them is the same I have with many universal in-ear monitors; their nozzle is angled forward, while my mutant ears have the canals angled back. :(

Btw, you can take them a notch higher with some proper tip rolling. Comply is a popular recommendation for Shure SE series in-ears. They won't magically make them less faffy to put on, but the isolation and fit once properly fitted will be a noticeable step-up from stock tips;
http://www.complyfoam.com/categories/Br ... AE/SE-215/

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:53 pm

^ yeah thanks, you da man.
the cable is a little broken on it, seems fairly stable. I tried them out over the afternoon and were quite uncomfortable, not sure about my canal orientation though...
Although 15 quid or so for some tips! maybe if it lasts long enough (I have a couple original ones left) yeah imma cheapskate.
otherwise for the house work it's the HD201 sennies cheap and cheerful and I can hear the door bell and crying babies and shit

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:51 am

^^^ I am Wux, that Senny was a birthday present from wife, and i would rather spend the money for something more useful like mono solar panel. :)
rice no more.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:18 pm

franksinistra wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:51 am
^^^ would rather spend the money for something more useful like mono solar panel.
Been a while since I last did any reading on panels. What are the efficiency rates for monocrystalline panels nowadays? Has anyone reached the magical 25-30% mark yet? Last I checked (albeit a long while ago), the best models were rated at around 15% max efficiency.

wuxmedia wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:53 pm
not sure about my canal orientation though...
Just insert your pinky in as deep as you can. You'll be able to tell if it's angled slightly forward, slightly back, or almost dead-straight. The majority of people have em angled slightly forward, hence why the nozzle angle most brands are angled similarly.

wuxmedia wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:53 pm
Although 15 quid or so for some tips! maybe if it lasts long enough
In that case you probably don't want em. Foam tips wear out faster. Best stick to silicone or other rubber-like materials. Maybe Spinfit or JVC Spiral Dot tips, though you'll need to do some reading in order to determine the correct type to fit bore size on your Shures.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:32 am

^ right around 15 for the cheapest one here, also there are couple of common models around here promising up to 20-22% max, which i intend to buy.
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 am

So these Shure things, really getting a lot of play as kids are noisy AF on a snow day (who'd have thought right?) I noticed that one side wouldn't go in my ear quite right. sounded a bit weird on one side. I pulled the out thinking there might be some ear wax in it, but no - it was a different foam 'plug' (rubber actually) So the guy who gave it had a bunch of new foam pieces so I thought i'd swap them over and wow, talk about isolation. very useful!
not sure what make they are, no marks anywhere on the bag. dense foam, not comply ones. anyway. annoying how much a small thing can make so much difference.

I still don't know if my ear is weird or not. instructions unclear !

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:57 am

So after a lot of umming and ahhing (deliberating/mass debating) I splashed out on some bluetooth headphones, primarily as they were the same price as the replacement cable (third party) for the shures, then I googled a bit further and figured I could have bluetooth enabled cables, then I thought, well might as well get something which is all-in-one, as the inconvenient fitting of the shures will never go away.

Not having ever had any they are so cool, no more tangles, or at least no machines getting dragged out of pockets.
deffo not as fancy (or pricey) as apple airpods (although case charging sounds actually useful)
I got these Anker soundtags, yes they are chunky but suits me :) Also they are nowhere near the faff of putting the shures in :D
pair of ankers
pair of ankers
Shout out to the Gslob man for pointing to comfy ear things, (not a brand, but the cheapest ones on ebay that i could find which were the right size) replaced them after a while and immediate bass increase and comfort. Also in the box the Ankers comes with a bunch of different sized ear ''wings' - it turns out I have small ears :)
I used them while working on the house and while not jogging I was pretty sweaty and was pretty physical (putting up plasterboards on the wall)
I love the way the lock together and make a stupid looking necklace, and once un-snapped they are live and start streaming, they seem to work well with the car bluetooth (the car takes over basically)
Battery seems fine, used it most of the day, I get bored of listening to stuff after a while anyway. has a mike in too and useful controls, quite nice taking calls in them - still a bit weird as not really a normal thing to happen.
got them boxed and new for 15GBP which seems to be awesome, like 1GBP for the earbuds.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Recently my Samsung phone broke, again, it was already the third. I am now back on a dumb phone, a Nokia 130. One month battery on standby, dual sim and you can put videos and music on an external micro SD card up to 32 GB. It has a crappy camera and even Bluetooth.
But it does its damn job!

Of course I cannot post a photo anymore from my Android so here is a link:

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-130

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Nice one, good choice. getting a bit bored of smart phones... damn charging is the thing.
Yeah back in the day my nokia lasted a month (mostly off) travelling spain and france on one charge in a hostel, my sammy is fucked after half a day.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:20 pm

2 days, 2 and 1/2 tops for my Fairphone. But I am not a super-busy phone user so probably it'd last less in the hands of someone more accustomed to smartphones.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm not a phone enthusiast or anything, i got way better battery on my smartphones when i remove all the google apps and install microg https://microg.org. From around 10 hours to about a day and a half when i'm fairly busy. I'm also considering replacing the old samsung s4 android os with a real linux distro https://postmarketos.org but it's not yet functional as of today.

Dumb phones are the best phones. I still got that old nokia 3210 from early 2000 somewhere in my parents' house.
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 am

Was cleaning / replacing cables with my on-call bag and thought you might have a laugh at the contents:
20180611_083011.jpg
So you can see my on-call emergencies are more of a basic sort that people who travel with a network kit and multimeter :D
everything is pretty obvious: big white cable is mini-DP to HDMI for watching vids on their Telly. Ethernet adapter and cable for fast internet. Little red and black case is for my BT headphones. Shiny black thing on the other side is a optical disc writer. Those pills are for indigestion - I eat even less healthy when on-call.
All wrapped up in my original N64 padded bag (also perfect for a slab of 12" vinyls)
It's front pocket has keys and papers - main pouch has lappy, charger and a change of clothes.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:15 pm

That is an all-in-one bag. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:31 pm

Is there a way for a cinema lover to not sell his soul to the devil to get an OLED TV? Does a cheaper, but almost-as-good television exist?

Speaking as a no-TV man since 2007. But now my blurays just deserve something better than the 7 years old, 22-inch display I am using.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:11 pm

How do you feel about projectors? We now have a space for projected screen (converted a shed) but it's winter only really as it's obv too nice/hot/bright untill midnight. I doubt they come close to one of those oleds though. oled projector now....
We stopped at a French supermarket in a big town, which had its own electrical good shop and the TV there was showing Moana and WOW i mean WOW blew me away. don't recall the price of it.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:15 pm

bought a chromecast audio, good for the big sound system, which is fine apart from being homeless. so it's the garden speakers in this hot weather.
oh yeah I figured I wouldn't be able to get away with a car for a midlife crisis (although I seemed to have acquired one anyway) I got a remote controlled car, which is really awesome. 12 quid gets a perfectly fine RC monster-truck type thing. the twins chase it around and I drive over stuff for a bit, reliving the few times friends had one. 12 quid. can barely get a crate of booze for that.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 am

OLED TV? LG has one "cheaper" 55" model that is about USD 1500, for cheaper ones i think taobao has many variants of Skyworth which is about USD 1000 - 1200. Well if you can call that cheap anyway. :)
rice no more.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:25 am

^ 55" is the maximum size I could use. There is one here at about 1500€, but I was hoping for 1000€ tops.

^^ Projectors: I don't know, quality-wise they're not exactly what I am looking for, and the best projectors are still around 1200€. At that price, OLED still feel like a better choice if I could afford it.