franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Re: EDC, gadgets and gear stuff

Unread post by franksinistra » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:54 am

wuxmedia wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 am
Maybe - you have to pay it back though :D
Yeah that's the fun part.

The i7 on this one isn't as powerful as the i7 on the third gen. I think the ones in x230 / t430s are a bit faster cpu wise than this. Plus the Intel recent shenanigans, make me wish AMD roll up business grade laptops, heard they are doing great on desktop.
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:14 pm

not too much of a speed daemon these days, for the majority of work that I do, just needs to have a few tabs open and a few shells. maybe the occasional RDP session, stuff that takes ages takes place on another machine over ssh.
battery and light weight is key for me now, with a modern size screen and keyboard.
Not that I haven't thought at least once about blowing a credit card on a brand spanking new thinkpad.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:26 pm

wuxmedia wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:14 pm
...on a brand spanking new thinkpad.
I think the new ones are not anymore for me. Sure if somebody gives me one as a present I will gladly take it but I won't buy anything that has those stupid keyboards.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:55 am

^ sure, the ones which aren't the ones frank has are very nice, indeed not the thinkpad keyboards of the old days.

Thinkpad 25 for you then :D

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 am

^ what he said, plus the x1 i have is from the 2014. From 2015 onwards they normalize the keyboards and the touchpad too, but they still lost the ability to press_to_select (from the nub / clit) and the keyboard won't look like the one in classic Thinkpad. 2014 Thinkpads are the worst thinkpad ever, so unless you got it on the cheap, don't buy it

To be honest, Dell XPS (such as the one Manu has) is so much sweeter than current Thinkpads. It's still fairly expensive ( i don't think i can find any 2nd hand product for less than 500 euros here).
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:54 pm

yeah ex corp thinkpads are more likely. until this set of devs get new XPS machines. I would be ok moving back to my Acer (dual core), it wasn't that bad performance wise. It didn't hit swap. just the screen was too low res, the keyboard was missing keys (and the trackpad click) and it weighed a ton.
Maybe an older thinkpad, it's mostly possible to even do my things on a chromebook.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:24 pm

franksinistra wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:59 am
To be honest, Dell XPS (such as the one Manu has) is so much sweeter than current Thinkpads. It's still fairly expensive ( i don't think i can find any 2nd hand product for less than 500 euros here).
I think if I buy new the XPS would be the way to go but as you say they are still expensive.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Very expensive, but totally worth it. Been rocking mine for a year, at work and at home, with no problems whatsoever.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:52 am

I got a huawei band pro2 as it was cheap on ebay (30gbp) it's a pretty nice watch and the alarms and monitoring is pretty sweet too.
has gps so tracks my infrequent bike rides (with the kids) and tracks sleep data as well. Which is interesting.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:21 pm

I got a GPS watch as a present. Used it a short time and now it is somewhere in the basement after the move. I find it distracting when I go for a run.
No GPS tracker, no smartphone... I already know how long my runs are and my location, I am a fucking geographer. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:50 am

^ good point. :D

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Personally, I'd take a solar powered ABC* watch (on a NATO or Zulu strap obviously) over anything smart or mechanical if there was a zombie apocalypse tomorrow.

*Altimeter, Barometer, Compass

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:01 pm

^ my casio Gshock found on the beach 4 years ago is still going strong. needs a good bit of sunlight these days to keep ticking though.

looked up zulu/nato strap - I love fashion. Timepiece in the thousands, £10 nylon strap...

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:18 pm

^ Well, if it makes you feel any better, you could buy the same nylon strap from your preferred thousand quid timepiece company and pay a £150 markup for the "heritage" or some other marketing drivel. :P

Back when I did a lot of enduro riding, I learned that any mechanical (or even a mecha-quartz, for that matter - basically any timepiece with moving parts) would gain or lose time due to the vibrations transmitted from the bike's handlebars. Even the fancy-ass Rolex mountaineering watches. Since then I've become a big fan of the Casio Pro Trek (previously called Pathfinder) line. G-Shocks are awesome, but I don't really gel with the G-Shock aesthetic, except for the original/retro square cased models, which I consider as timeless as any classic design from the Swiss. Interesting point: some of the mecha-quartz G-Shock and Pro Trek models actually have a function where the hands will auto-correct themselves every hour in case they get knocked off-sync due to impacts or vibrations. Combine that with the daily syncing they do to atomic towers (if you're within range) and solar power and you basically have maintenance-free perfect time for the life of the watch. Dunno about you, but I rate that higher than any of heritage-craftsmanship marketing alphabet soup bullshit the luxury brands offer.

As for the whole strap thing; the reason why I like the one-piece nato/zulu strap design is that it reduces possibility of the watch coming off when the springbars holding the strap fail. If it's a regular strap/bracelet, one springbar failing will result in watch falling off. If the same happened with a one-piece strap, it'll at least still be dangling about on your wrist. Mine cost like $25 for strap, adapters and tools back when I got it a couple of years ago.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed May 01, 2019 10:09 am

^ And to think I was aiming high with £10 :D
Yeah I feel you on the timepiece problems, oh yeah I like those square ones. I just have a basic round one. My FiL found it on the beach. dead mans watch O-o

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed May 01, 2019 9:35 pm

I like my 'heritage-craftsmanship' watch. :P But I know what you mean and there are surely absolutely expensive specimens. But I have a soft spot for mechanical watches and it is not about the accuracy.

On another note, I also inherited a nice silver pocket watch from my father. I have no picture of it unfortunately. It looks darned good.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu May 02, 2019 3:14 am

I get the love for mechanicals. I could stare at an A.Lange & Sohne movement for hours. Accuracy (or lack thereof) aside, I just disagree whenever some mechanical watch makers mentions toughness or durability and market their timepieces as "tool watches".

I have no issue with mechanical dress watches, aside from the obnoxious pricing.

True story:
Me and Friend A were chatting over some drinks at some gathering (forgot the occassion) some years ago, simply talking about football and whatnot. Then Friend B came by to showoff his new "rugged" Omega automatic diver, accompanied by stuff like "in-house movement" and "chronometer certified" and whatnot. He looked at Friend A's G-shock Mudmaster and said he reckoned his fancy mechanical diver could handle anything a G-Shock could. Friend A responded by taking off the G-Shock and throwing it across the yard onto the concrete driveway. He then walked over put it back on his wrist, walked back to us, and told Friend B, "Ok, your turn." You can guess the response. :P

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu May 02, 2019 10:27 am

Ok. I sort of forgot, my dad left me this. Currently looking for a winder crown for it.
15567886835336890517921055857170.jpg

I got a cheap strap for it and it looks funny as the cleaning is my fault. It was really gross.
I got it at the wake and left it in my trousers which got washed... Then I found it many washes later in the rubber fold Gromit of the washing machine...
It amazingly still worked :D

I'm seeing a listing on eBay for a similar one for 500usd...
Lol at the omega story, I would have done the same thing, probably tossed in a stomp for good measure :D

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 pm

gutterslob wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:14 am
True story:
Me and Friend A were chatting over some drinks at some gathering (forgot the occassion) some years ago, simply talking about football and whatnot. Then Friend B came by to showoff his new "rugged" Omega automatic diver, accompanied by stuff like "in-house movement" and "chronometer certified" and whatnot. He looked at Friend A's G-shock Mudmaster and said he reckoned his fancy mechanical diver could handle anything a G-Shock could. Friend A responded by taking off the G-Shock and throwing it across the yard onto the concrete driveway. He then walked over put it back on his wrist, walked back to us, and told Friend B, "Ok, your turn." You can guess the response. :P
Great story. Fuck, Reddit has something for every shit on earth and now I am staring at watches...

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 pm

turns out that pretty watch of mine is super fast. gains about 2/3 mins every 10 mins :D