Please share what you use:

- EDC bags, laptop bags, rucksacks
- wallets
- pocket knives
- lighters, tobacco pouches, cigarette boxes
- anti-stealth DC/CC holders
- phone/tab related protective cases
- <insert useless/useful item here>

or anything else that falls into the category :) No matter if special or boring, I'd love to see what you use!

Thanks!
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: EDC, gadgets and gear stuff

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:22 am

Oh cool.

I got a trusty SwissGear backpack I use all the time. This one, to be more precise.

I carry my Inspiron 1525 in it, documents and a Victorinox pocket knife because, you know, these days it's all a matter of survival.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 am

Well, nothing too exciting:
old Dell laptop bag which doesn't quite fit the laptop inside it (not being a Dell)
HTC M8s with 2 quid black rubber case.
nice handmade leather wallet my wife made me when she wasn't my wife.
car keys - with bottle opener.

The only thing I'm missing is a tiny keyfob knife I used to have, just a super small fold out, about two inches long, double when extended. really thin, easy to sharpen.

Had a look on ebay and amazon, but they were all enormous, like a shrunken commando knife. I don't need to take the stones out of a horse hoof, gut a fish or trim tree branches - just a sharp thing to open boxes or to cut the rope of a dangling climber, dragging me into the abyss, the usual things in life.
It was kicking around somewhere, the metal loop broke off needed more than love and super glue.
picture:
GEAR.jpg
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:12 pm

Thanks for sharing :)

So when does the Leatherman appear? :D
..gnutella..

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:17 pm

This is my "go to work" stuff.
The hp 2530p
electric tape
pen
small wrench
12/24 volt usb charger, and cable
phone, in cheap cover. It is the wifes old samsung, and the wifes old cover
my wallet. Handmade thing I got for fixing a car some years ago.
Attachments
20150930_161148.jpg

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks Rusty for unpacking :) Bonus thumbs up for the wrench! How manly...
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:23 pm

Okay, that's what I carry around with me (plus/minus the netbook or tablet -- I only carry them with me if I go to work or do something related to work). Actually I often don't even take a phone with me.

There's always two snuffs, two lighters, a pack (actually two different brands, one is here on my desk) of cigarettes, a phone, headphones, felt tip pens (there's probably nothing that writes smoother than these), a small notebook (in my pocket, forgot to take it out, nvm!), a bigger notepad, the medical section: a scraping board (Guasha), herbal oil (for headaches or insect bites), eye drops (I tend to get red eyes without even smoking dope), Fishing Pills (for an upset stomach), and a wallet (no name).

Oh, of course - the keys.

And they are all in a Samsonite Red rucksack (fake).

Wine: Ostoros Egri Bikaver (okay, kidding)
Snuff: Wilson's Top Mill, Tianjin YDC
Cigs: Yuxi, Furongwang
Herbal oil: Fengyoujing
Fishing Pills: Lee Man Shan
Pens: Stabilo 88 - the one and only
Attachments
suckrack.JPG
20151001_000523.jpg
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Oh cool thread.

On my desk I have my trusty HP with my Sennheiser earbuds, old school, not the rubber shit. A leather wallet, a nice ash tray from American Spirit (you can close it, fantastic) and my keys
I am using a Cox Swain backpack for years, just great and has an inside bag for the laptop.
For my pipes I use a little bag where I can carry everything I need when I am on the way.
Attachments
littlebag.jpg
backpack.jpg
wallet.jpg
20150930_202526.jpg
phones.jpg

maso
Cam Whore

Unread post by maso » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Besides the standard phone-keys-wallet, I carry a black (always black) North Face backpack that always contains one paper notepad and a collection of random pens and pencils, mostly from hotels, and a ziploc baggie with allergy and pain pills.

Travel computer is an HP Chromebook 14 I spent US$50 on (I had a gift card) and run basic debian Sid by way of that amazing (to me anyway) hack called crouton. Travel mode will also include cheap but effective Sony noise cancelling headphones (because planes are noisy).

Wish I had sexier gear but that's pretty much it.
just say "thanks, man"

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:54 pm

This is a wonderful thread! I don't actually have a backpack that I lug around for the most part, unless we are hiking to or such. (If we are, I have an Osprey Farpoint 55L that can carry everything I need to survive!)

I usually drag my T410 around with me wherever I go in a cheap Victorinox laptop bag. I always have my Seiko SNA411 on my wrist from when I get up in the morning as well as my swiss army knife (doesn't have all the fancy fixings that Ivan has though, ;). I also have a compass and self-recharging flashlight that have been in the front pocket of the bag forever.

If we are going camping/hiking I will usually switch the laptop out for a few books and then toss some printed topo maps from the USGS in with them just in case. I also carry around a notebook with me at all times, either in the bag or in my back pocket along with a Pilot Varsity pen for taking quick notes, math, addresses, etc.

Of course I have my money clip to depress myself with the amount that I have left in my spending budget for the month and a deck of cards if I can't have thinking putty with me. (At this time I actually don't - I left my tin at my grandmother's house down the road.)

Edit: I also have a Nokia C2-05 (I thought it was a 515 until I just looked it up!) that I carry around, but rarely answer unless it is a relative.
Attachments
PSX_20150930_132845.jpg
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:28 pm

awesome, thanks everyone for your reports! :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:19 pm

Nice to see people still appreciating real watches. I have one, always with me, also in bed. It glows in the night and I have it always on when I am running or cycling instead of the shiny things people use nowadays. Yep, it was a pretty expensive one from Tissot. I do not like metal bracelets, it is of leather. The downside, it is often full of sweat.
Attachments
20151001_001414.jpg

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:30 am

i don't do watches, cause no matter how beautiful they can be, they make me stare at my wrist every 3 seconds.

left trouser pocket: leather wallet with a tiny embossed deer on it (no idea what brand but the deer looks cool) and my HTC One.

right trouser pocket: keys, bic ballpoint pen, Malboro lights (switched to these as my regular tobacco is hard to find here plus damn expensive), lighter.

backpack: a grey Dakine backpack that can hold iirc 8 liters, includes a section for a laptop. since my laptop's battery is fucked i never take it anywhere, so my backpack's laptop-section holds some pieces of thin A4-sized cardboard (to provide a little backing, mostly), and a whole bunch of papers - scripts, lesson plans, general information, etc etc. also have a little notebook for writing/drawing, and a bigger notebook for teaching related-stuff. then there's my ipod, 2nd gen nano (the only fucking good one) 1GB with Rockbox firmare on it, and Sennheiser headphones (not earbuds, i hate those, despite the fact that the headphones make my head sweat in this Asia heat). other pockets hold an array of felt-tipped pens in different sizes (0.3mm - 0.7mm), backup lighter, some usb sticks, some more black bic ballpoint pens (because these are my favourite) and uhhh a necklace i once made myself but rarely wear. i believe my wedding ring is in there somewhere, too, because it annoys my fingers too much to wear it. front pocket holds a can of Axe deodorant, for when i want girls to come running to me and/or get sweaty and smelly.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:55 am

^ If you want to smoke a good and strong Mainland cigarette, try: Chungwha (I love the name, sounds like a Jimi Hendrix/Lenny Kravitz signature wah-wah pedal) or Hong Shuangxi (Red Double Happiness). They are strong. They taste super clean, the apartment doesn't stink after smoking them. And they look cool. Available in HK for 40-50 HKD a pack (don't quite remember) in every 7/11.

Oh yeah, I sometimes have a cheapo deodorant with me, too. Depends on how long the day will be. :D
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:43 pm

^ thanks for the tip, will have a look! :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Depends on what I need to do and what my mode of transport is. Only constants are wallet, keys and iphone, I guess. Not worth taking pictures of those. Oh, I'm the type that carries a small bottle of anti-bacterial liquid everywhere, because the world is a filthy place.

However, I will share a picture of these. Possibly the best audio related purchase I've made in my life - and I've previously owned ATC studio monitors and Stax electrostatic headphones, so that's really saying something if you know your audio. If my motorcycle is my wife, then these are my babies. Heck, just like how some nutter parents keep framed images of baby ultrasound scans, I'm still keeping the plastic molds of my ear canal which these were made from.
Attachments
custom iem 01.png

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Never really seen phones like this, maybe in the old days. :) Can you elaborate? You know, I am interested in this stuff.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:21 pm

^ And I was really waiting for slobby to pop in and share some really cool gadgets :) Headphones, OK :D
..gnutella..

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:10 pm

@ivan
Just google "custom in ear monitors" and you should get an idea, or at least scratch the surface. Basically, they're molded to the shape of your ears to give maximum isolation, and have a tube going into your ear canals. You go to an audiologist to take impressions of your ears and mail them in to the manufacturer to make them. That's the short answer without the technical blah-blah.

@bacon
Sorry man. Most of my "cool" gadgets don't fit into the EDC category. If you want I could show you my hipster fanny-pack? =P

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:14 am

gutterslob wrote: @bacon
Sorry man. Most of my "cool" gadgets don't fit into the EDC category. If you want I could show you my hipster fanny-pack? =P
I think that's what we are after ;)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"