Hi! I'm new to BBQ.

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
ing
Virgin

Hi! I'm new to BBQ.

Unread post by ing » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi! I'm a grad student. I was a casual Linux user throughout my undergrad, which was in mathematics. I've had no formal CS training, and I've only gotten so far with coding on my own time over the years. I've been glancing at BBQ every now and then since the past spring, and I've finally gotten around to trying to make it work. This is due largely to wasting lots of time (video games, the "pretty" web, etc.) and wanting more motivation to tackle coding problems.

Anyway, I've lurked enough to know a bit about y'all, so here's a bit about me:

Previous experience/distros: Ubuntu 12-14. #! Waldorf.

Programming languages: Mostly Python. Varying levels of literacy in C/C++, CL/Scheme, and Javascript, but I haven't worked on anything significant with any of them.

Editor: Honestly? I just use nano for small scripts. I've worked with emacs and vim a bit. I think I like emacs a bit more, but time will tell. The bulk of my work is in Python, and IPython/Jupyter for visualization and writing math inline is the main thing that keeps me from going full CLI.

Terminal & Emulator: Historically, I used Guake and Terminator (so GNOME.) I don't have any educated opinions here; I just liked being able to slap a button and have a translucent window appear. Getting to know #!/Openbox made it clear that I could make that happen with whatever terminal I want without much fuss, so I'd like to explore other options.

Kernel: I don't know much about kernels and such (EDIT: similar for init system.) I'm hoping to pick up enough to make decent decisions as a user, but I don't think I can afford to spend the time to become a connoisseur. Feel free to try indoctrinating me with your totally-not-arbitrary preference. Maybe I'll internalize it.

I'm interested in learning more about the low-level basics of my computer. Current to-do's: Sensible partitioning and basic networking. These seem to be two of the biggest hurdles I've had with tinkering with new systems, and I think a lot of my difficulty stems from a lack of background and a lack of relevant literacy.

I like writing guides on things since I'm great at forgetting them. I guarantee that any time spent explaining something to me will result in me taking personal notes. Eventually, these notes get cleaned up enough that others might want to read them. I'll throw together a few examples later/elsewhere, or update my blog or something.

Irrelevant: I own a great number of excellent (so I'm told) textbooks on math and computer science that I haven't had time to read. I enjoy climbing things, namely rocks and trees. I like ropes. I probably use parentheses for clarification more often than I should (like this,) so I apologize in advance if it makes for poor reading.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone. I'm having some trouble with installation (bbqinstaller,) but I'll post that in a more appropriate place. (I think it's mostly an issue of my own inexperience with partitioning.) Scrots when I actually have Academy up, running, and tweaked. :D

pidsley
Hermit

Re: Hi! I'm new to BBQ.

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm

Welcome to the grill.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:25 pm

welcome, thanks for the write up! We have quiet IRC channel on freenode. #linuxbbq

Work hard; Complain less

maso
Cam Whore

Unread post by maso » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:58 pm

History prof here. I remember grad school. Hope you have a decent or at least quasi-humanoid advisor. The grill has led me to work (and play) almost exclusively in terminal.

Nice to meet you.
just say "thanks, man"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Welcome to the BBQ.

ing
Virgin

Unread post by ing » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll hop over to the IRC. Presently, I'll be using my browser, but CLI would be nice. XChat and Irrsi don't seem to be available in Academy. Is there a particular IRC directly available in Sid, or should I start trying other PPAs?

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:12 pm

as we're discussing on IRC, No PPA's!

but it looks like we solved your issue ...

Work hard; Complain less

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:21 pm

Welcome to the Grill Ing. You'll learn a lot here.:)
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:32 pm

just have fun

ing
Virgin

Unread post by ing » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:59 pm

Dkeg: Yeah, I posted here prior to joining. :)

I got a lot of good help with some weird dependency issues from dkeg and rust collector. Many thanks.

Darry: The enlearnening has begun.

EDIT:
After lots of fussing about with xserver, I installed Smoothie instead. Success!

slacky
Virgin

Unread post by slacky » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:24 am

Nice to meet you!

I'm a new guy too, and I hope to see you around

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:25 am

ing wrote: Editor: Honestly? I just use nano for small scripts. I've worked with emacs and vim a bit. I think I like emacs a bit more, but time will tell. The bulk of my work is in Python, and IPython/Jupyter for visualization and writing math inline is the main thing that keeps me from going full CLI.
That's cool, being flexible is good. I've been vimmed, so are about some here, a LOT of Emacs heads here, so you are in good company, start here: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=832
Terminal & Emulator: Historically, I used Guake and Terminator (so GNOME.) I don't have any educated opinions here; I just liked being able to slap a button and have a translucent window appear. Getting to know #!/Openbox made it clear that I could make that happen with whatever terminal I want without much fuss, so I'd like to explore other options.
I think we all dislike terminator, as it's a slow old beast on my old box, but again, if it runs OK - why change?Apart from the way you config them, I don't see much difference in various ones.
Kernel: I don't know much about kernels and such (EDIT: similar for init system.)
Me neither, again, if your machine runs with it - there really isn't much to change, it seems largely trial and error, the BBQ has great tools for fiddling around with removing them, so that helps.
Inits are similar, you can learn a lot about the linux startup though, as long as they start things I'm not sure you'd notice. I can't actually tell you which one i'm running now :)
I'm interested in learning more about the low-level basics of my computer. Current to-do's: Sensible partitioning and basic networking.
Installing the BBQ (especially following Academy) helps with this, nice if you have a test machine for mucking around with, get used to making partitions up in the CLI.
Irrelevant: I own a great number of excellent (so I'm told) textbooks on math and computer science that I haven't had time to read. I enjoy climbing things, namely rocks and trees. I like ropes. I probably use parentheses for clarification more often than I should (like this,) so I apologize in advance if it makes for poor reading.
You'll love programming in scheme or lisp or whatever it is in Emacs :)
Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone. I'm having some trouble with installation (bbqinstaller,) but I'll post that in a more appropriate place. (I think it's mostly an issue of my own inexperience with partitioning.) Scrots when I actually have Academy up, running, and tweaked. :D
Cool - considered yourself welcome !
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 am

Thanks for cool intro ing. Welcome to the BBQ, and just use whatever shit you are comfortable with. Remember to have fun whilst at it!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Hello ing, officially welcome to the sauna!

I'd be glad to read your guides/howtos, so pretty please, put them into our HOWTO section!
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:28 pm

sounds good ing. welcome to the party :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:40 pm

Welcome to the grill Ing.
ing wrote:Feel free to try indoctrinating me with your totally-not-arbitrary preference. Maybe I'll internalize it.
No indoctrinating here. We all use what is best for ourselves.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:21 pm

Nice to have you @ the BBQ, Ing :D
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

ing
Virgin

Unread post by ing » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:05 pm

Thanks everyone! :D

Wuxmedia: Thanks for the detailed reply!

Ivanovnegro: I actually did mean that somewhat literally.

mb: As I get around to them, I certainly will! I suspect most of my findings will be trivial to experienced grillers, but perhaps other new folks will enjoy them! Even highly-visible link dumps could be handy to someone in my position. I didn't find your [The 1st Time] How-To's on partitioning until after I had wrapped mine up yesterday. I guess that's what I get for delving into Support before the How-To forum.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:53 am

Sounds like we are both quite similar! For me, though, 90% of the stuff I read and even play with is way over my head. I should learn a programming language or two - I feel like knowing Perl and C or Lisp would greatly improve my maneuverability in unix :)
ing wrote:I'm interested in learning more about the low-level basics of my computer. Current to-do's: Sensible partitioning and basic networking. These seem to be two of the biggest hurdles I've had with tinkering with new systems, and I think a lot of my difficulty stems from a lack of background and a lack of relevant literacy.
Since wux brought that up I would point you towards cfdisk for partitioning. I learned the hard way how to divvy up my HDD - I was constantly goofing up and writing over/deleting my previous/wanted installs. Also, check out your current partition order with

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
or alternatively

lsblk -l
before you play with any of it - and double check before you do an install ;) UUID shouldn't ever change for your parition, but you should keep an eye on the partition number order as sometimes they will move around depending on what you do. Whichever method you choose - BACKUP everything you hold precious :D

man cfdisk
As for the basic networking... I'm in the same boat. I am lazy and always make sure either ceni or wicd-curses is on an install before I play with it ;) (FreeBSD was a piece of cake, even w/o those tools.)
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:38 am

@ing: be sure to read through the pages here: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
sadly, not a huge lot specifically on partitioning, but plenty of other shit :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.