NaNoWriMo strikes again

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
Launfal
Dirty Laundry

NaNoWriMo strikes again

Unread post by Launfal » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Hey, look at this! Almost twice in a month. I'm slowly getting back into the flow.

Trying to transfer to a job closer to home, might pull that off in a couple more weeks. Gonna do another NaNo because I haven't written squat in longer than I care to remember and I need to get back into the habit of writing everyday. I'm gonna use the opportunity to give Wordgrinder a real workout and see if I can use it as my daily driver.

I tried to play around with NetBSD since 7.0 came out, but it wouldn't boot after install and I didn't have time to try and figure out why. I'm pretty sure I screwed something up in the partitioning part of the installer. After NaNo, I may try again.

I tried to do my browsing in all text-mode, but there are sites that I need that simply won't work right, namely Duotrope. Being a writer without access to an up-to-date list of writers' markets is less than helpful in selling work. Iceweasel will do til something better comes along.

That about covers my last few weeks. Been reading Douglas Adams lately since I needed a reminder that not everything in life has to make sense. So I'm gonna bang out these 50K words (my record in NaNo is 3-1) and then I'll kick back after a celebratory cigarette and see if my latest novel can make it onto somebody's bookshelf before the end of the century.

(damn, I do tend to run on some. I need to hire some dancing bears to create a diversion.)

So stay cool and keep the grill hot,
Launfal

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: NaNoWriMo strikes again

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:29 pm

good luck on NaNo Laundry! i tried it once, got only halfway through, and didn't have much that i felt i could really make into a single novel. decided to stick with short stories instead :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Yeah, this will be tricky because I am sooooo not into the writing workflow lately. That and I have nooooo idea what I'm going to write about.

Nothing like camping out behind the eight-ball from the start. [sigh] Something will occur to me. I think... I hope...

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:16 pm

I am not so sure about the dancing bears, feels like it has been done before. Cheers and good luck with your writing anyway. :)

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:50 pm

You need a story about a family of tiny tiny ponys. they have claws, and can climb trees.
They spend most of the day up in the trees, waiting for small birds to fly by.
Then they jump, and splat them.

Their biggest enemy are people walking in the forest, as they are so small, and they often get stepped on.

One of the young ponys name is Frank...

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:08 am

^ Don't forget those are unicorn ponies, and the claws modeled after Koala.
rice no more.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:49 am

arrr, we discussed this already, they often wear strapons on their head. They are NOT unicorns...

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:55 pm

^I'm glad you didn't fit the ice cream man in that somehow.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:07 pm

I was hoping that Laundry would write the story. He can add what he wants..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=SRva ... 2RKWJD5ops

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:23 pm

^^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHGG3vj5kcQ

@rusty: i once wrote a story that wasn't completely different from your idea (just a bit ;). it was about a man whose hobby it is to wack birds out of the sky with an adapted tennis racket. he uses one of those lift-on-wheels machines to get up high, and would be very knowledgeable as to which birds were stupid and which were smart, depending on his success in wacking them. probably one of my favourite stories, thanks for reminding me of it :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:17 pm

Rho... we need that made into a movie.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:41 pm

i know a movie-guy. i'll pitch it to him. don't think it will work though. at least we'll have to get funding. perhaps a "donate" button on the BBQ site? (hahahahahahaha, i'm so funny)

slacky
Virgin

Unread post by slacky » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Last year I did it, last year I had a lot more free time though...
AP classes and work 6 days a week have made doing nano this year a laughable suggestion.
Good luck though to everyone who will be braving it this year

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:10 am

Somewhat related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtieBc3KptU

Jay Dixit is a science writer whose work has appeared in The New York Times, Rolling Stone, and Psychology Today. Jay will discuss how he uses Emacs as a non-programmer, and how Emacs has made him a more productive writer, editor, and researcher.
..gnutella..