2 Gentoo or not to Gentoo ... that is my question ? :)

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: 2 Gentoo or not to Gentoo ... that is my question ? :)

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:53 am

Biz, put these random item in ascending order:

Which woman is fat?
- the one who has a cake in her fridge
- the one who eats cake when she opens the fridge
- the one who owns a fridge and has recipes for cakes

Replace :cake: and :fridge: with OS-related terms ;D
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:21 am

Biz is now thoroughly confuzzled. *scratches head. However all this talk/type about cake is making me hungry. ;)

@Sir Ivan ... sub-100 eh. Yep definitely agree that's good. Also agree with you that everything is bloat. Back when started dorking with Nix ( 512mbs-ram), 60-80mbs would've drove me crazy. Not so much anymore 4gbs leaves enough to spare for the sake of convenience. Nixers here @ the grill know what you fella's like and can set it up however you please, bare bones extreme cli to any flashy gui'ey wanted, so it's all good.

Personally don't mind the marginal overhead lightdm adds and according to "systemd-analyze blame" the sucker adds just over a sec to boot-time on Arch and on Jessie ( about 1.2secs).

Vll! :)

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:32 pm

Final update on this nonsense:

Now that Arch is setup and running, finding myself fricken bored. LMAO ! Is a nice OS, runs very well, there went 12hrs of ma damn life I won't be getting back ! Next nixish adventure, am planning on giving Fedora a try out. So many commercial applications of gnu/Nix no doubt are RHEL ( Redhat), so may as well screw with it too. Blahblahblah, Fedora n CentOS, brace ya friggin selves, da bizcuit cometh. :D

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:03 am

Before you wipe Fedora off the partition after another 24 hours of bloated GNOME-ing: look into their "kickstart" project, that is Fedora-s own remastering suite. http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1080
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:05 pm

^Thanks much Machine, will do as advised and the time savings are really appreciated. Googled stuff along the lines of "install a minimal fedora" etc blahblah. No Gnome for me, tyvm. :)

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:13 am

Agree with a lot of stuff said already about Arch, Debian and Gentoo. I've run Gentoo for years ( I run Funtoo on one box but it hasn't been updated in a year and I'm about to see what breaks just for fun and then re-install because I have the time to muck about with a source based distro and because it's easy for me after all these years of using Gentoo. As mentioned in previous posts, if you have the TIME to compile and the desire to learn more about your system then go for it. It will be a valuable experience, more so than installing Arch. I will still run Funtoo just because I like Daniel Robbins way of thinking and want to see what he comes up with next (new OpenRC type init system for example). That said, I can remember starting to compile Firefox before going to sleep and waking up to it just finishing. Luckily now there is a Firefox binary you can install.

As a former Arch based project leader, I found Arch easy to install and before the switch to systemd and changes in the installation, I could do an install complete with X and a working LXDE desktop in about 45 minutes on a fairly slow connection. X took up around 20 minutes of the install time waiting for it all to download. ArchBang made that simpler and an installation took only around 7-8 minutes back in 2011-2012 and then you could start tweaking. Breakage was fairly common but not usually to the system but with user installed packages from the developers and from AUR, or because of hardware issues. There was one time I had to figure out and post a workaround that was maybe 10 steps long to fix the system and so we had to build a new .iso and release it quickly rather than subject some lesser experienced users to being stuck with a system they weren't capable of fixing. Perhaps, I shouldn't have listened to the whining and just let them go back to Ubuntu or Linux Mint. :) If you really want to have fun, run Arch testing with KDE. Shit used to break several times a day sometimes a few years back (Andrea Scarpino had his hands full).

I'm going to install Arch right now on a partition and see the difference between it and Sid atm. I'm guessing Arch will use more RAM than Sid (LinuxBBQ BORK!) because of creepage.

One last thing about DM's. I can't stand having one. I've used Slackware since March 1995 and I still prefer to log in and hit startx myself. I don't want no GUI doing it. Just my preference as a cranky middle-aged fart.
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:25 pm

I didn't know you were a fire apparatus repair technician.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:37 pm

Gentoo and Funtoo: installed them both for the experience and curiosity. Went back to Slackware/OpenBSD anyway. ;)

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:05 pm

^ Hey Bones, haven't seen you for a while, happy new year :)

cheerio
simon

PS: I have started exploring BSDs more and more btw, thank you for your inspiration, well and Chef's ofc :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:09 am

Interesting commentary Archvortex. Each their own, no shortage of gnu/nix in the world. Arch is humming along fine and still sticking to using it majority of the time. Thinking yeah, will keep it around, at least until it breaks from neglect. Pretty much comparable to a Debian netinstall for the most part. Though yeppers, Debian doesn't require folks to jump through so many hoops.

Atm, it's Jessie for me, specifically didn't want a constant influx of upgrades. Just simply a matter of being lazy and when it comes to stable, Debian stable has long since been considered a rock. Still like dorking, am not going to Gentoo, though don't doubt once someone is up to speed it works well enough. Jmo, gnu/nix has clearly moved beyond such times when things needed to be compiled from source. Unless someone chooses such a road, which no doubt there'll always remain the option to do so and people who want to employ the option.

For me, am spoiled by all the binary goodness so readily available now. Right/wrong ? There is no right/wrong it's open source, we all get to do with it, what we will. Not thrilled by the idea of devoting hours, punishing my hardware, all for a 1% gain. Mb's word is more than good enough for me. Arch is good gnu/nix, it has been every other time I've dorked with it, still apparently is now. Once again still not really seeing what all the hubbub is about though. Still prefer the Debian way over the Arch way. In other words blahblah, yada yada. :)

Nother happy new year Bones, hope you and yours are well fellow nixer.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:48 pm

Binary goodness and open source in one sentence is quiiiiite risky :D
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:37 am

Lmao ... hmmm, now thatcha mention it Machine. ;)

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:38 pm

Arch forum banned me dammit ! Lmao ... would say ma feelins are hurt but they aren't. Overall really amused by it and never really been a big fan of the vibe projected. Community has nothing I need, nor nothing I can't get anyway via search if ever did find meself in need of information contained within their forum. Really doesn't matter, had already switched back to Debian a few dys prior. Kept my word, used Arch majority of time for 2-3wks and liked it fine ... but still gravitated back to Debian nonetheless.

Do like Arch gnu/Linux, is good Nix imo but so are so many others. Been my findings that gnu/Nix is what you make of it ... plain and simple. Good Nix or not, overwriting the sucker due to simple laziness. It's a pita to keep up several Os's on a pc. One less OS to have to deal with, one less bootloader entry crowding up the boot menu.

So as with a couple previous experiences, Arch gnu/Linux ... can definitely be a kickbutt OS. Still not seeing what distinguishes it from a myriad of other gnu/Nix OS's, what all the hubbub is about or why I should be impressed.

Vll! :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:02 pm

They did not like your babble. :D :D

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:49 pm

^ Is definitely an acquired taste. Though you I always like Sir Ivan. :)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:13 pm

bizcuit wrote: Still not seeing what distinguishes it from a myriad of other gnu/Nix OS's, what all the hubbub is about or why I should be impressed.
Thanks! I am not alone. :D

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:35 pm

It's the community, good Sir :D And the Arch way of doing it. Whatever it is. Just do it with an angry facial expression and talk with a snooty undertone. Overtone. Ah fuck it ;D
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:22 pm

machinebacon wrote:And the Arch way of doing it. Whatever it is.
Good heavens dear Sir! I just want to express my sincere and most grateful thank yous to you dear Sir. Your statement is so simple and logic, filled with enlightenment! With so little you have once again restored the faith in my barbaque! Cheers!!! :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:57 am

The Arch Way is a certain way of fingering your own anus. That's what Rhosey said.
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:47 am

^ :)) You made my day with that one!