Hi!

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Hi!

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:42 pm

I am new to the forum.
I am actually new to any forum. I have lurked on forums, before. I have even registered and posted an emergency "HAAAALLLLLP!" here and there.
As far as trying to be an active participant in one, though....
I think all those little buttons above this text box intimidate me. I see people using them and looking so GOOD at using all the bells and sparklies up there and I don't want to seem so....NOOB!
Enough of that! Here I am! I am a lazy-brained 49 year old trucker from the USofA (Merica). I have been stumbling around the Linux world since 2002 or so.
I am not a coder. No IT in this resume. No computer-related experience anywhere. you won't see this name involved in the development of the next super kernel.
Computers have always been scary to me. They also fascinate me. I can't stay away, and I love to see what can be done with them.
I will push them until they break- just because!
That is why I love Linux. So much can be done by the user in terms of configuration and options!
This is my playground. This is what I like to do with my spare time. When I am on my breaks out here on the road, this is my activity.
I have no idea how I can be of any help to anyone on this forum. I can show you how to break systems- what not to do, lols!
That is why my name....I am an noob eternal, lols! That being said, I absolutely love learning new things, and exploring new avenues.
So now I have decided to try to be an active member of a forum in order to learn how to do a few things right for once! I am going to try to use the bells and sparkly stuff above, and I am going to try to be a better Linux persom.
Why this forum? Why BBQ? Because from the first time I came across your site I fell in love! The words, the philosophy, just clicked with me.
My condolences, lol! You have a fan in me! You have failed to disappoint me!
If you need me (although I don't know why) I am [email protected]
I am married to a very suspicious (but loving!) wife, so I don't do social media.
Here is a scrot that I made just for fun. Icewm:
2016-01-11-073132_1920x1200_scrot.png
So I am going to try to be active, and I promise to actually try to learn some things so that maybe in the future I can be of service to some noob noobier than meself,lols!
Thanks for your time!
Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Hi!

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Welcome, thanks for the intro thread.
"I am married to a very suspicious (but loving!) wife, so I don't do social media."
Hah, "Why are you being followed by Dirty_chink-slut231341" ?

Not another Trucker! You and rusty can talk about the best lorries, fuckin' tiny roads and 12 hours straight on the road, back in the old days or something.
This is the best place for learning, IMHO.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:04 pm

Welcome you mothertrucker :D

yeah right, rust_collector is our King of the Road (Europe Edition)
..gnutella..

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Welcome to the 'BBQ! Glad to have you around :D This here has to be one of the best places for us noobs... /usr/share/man has a wealth of information for users in all stages of their Linux journey :)

... Out of curiosity, where did you prefer to get your coffee on the road? When we are pulling a 20' cargo trailer, pulling into Starbucks for a dark roast run seems a lot harder. Loves and Pilot seem to have had some of the best, so far.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:01 pm

^ don't they have a kitchenette in the back?
truckers drink it by the IV drip?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:28 pm

Welcome to the grill.:)
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Welcome to the BBQ noo_b_nomnoms. Thanks for the intro, appreciate it. Have fun, roast your favorite toast etc. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:36 pm

Welcome!

First of all, you passed the welcome test like no other in a long time.
noo_b_nomnoms wrote:I can show you how to break systems- what not to do, lols!
That is actually great. Not so many people claim to be breakers, rather experts and then they fuck things up and cry for help. :D
noo_b_nomnoms wrote: So now I have decided to try to be an active member of a forum in order to learn how to do a few things right for once!
Nice that your first forum is to be the BBQ.
noo_b_nomnoms wrote: Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Not many of us our programmers, at least not real coders. I myself have nothing to do with coding, not even admin stuff. I am just an academic dude.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:00 pm

Welcome to the wasteland. We'll have you up to speed in no time, pimping out your truck with tinted black window managers and flaming guitar guys.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:02 pm

Dr_Chroot wrote:Welcome to the 'BBQ! Glad to have you around :D This here has to be one of the best places for us noobs... /usr/share/man has a wealth of information for users in all stages of their Linux journey :)

... Out of curiosity, where did you prefer to get your coffee on the road? When we are pulling a 20' cargo trailer, pulling into Starbucks for a dark roast run seems a lot harder. Loves and Pilot seem to have had some of the best, so far.
I am a Community Dark Roast fan. A born in Louisiana Cajun:)
Unfortunately, that is hard to find on the road, so it's the dark roast at the Pilot and the Loves that I gravitate towards :)

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Welcome to the grill, noo_b_nomnoms.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:10 pm

wuxmedia wrote:Welcome, thanks for the intro thread.
"I am married to a very suspicious (but loving!) wife, so I don't do social media."
Hah, "Why are you being followed by Dirty_chink-slut231341" ?

Not another Trucker! You and rusty can talk about the best lorries, fuckin' tiny roads and 12 hours straight on the road, back in the old days or something.
This is the best place for learning, IMHO.
Oh! Noes! How did you know my weakness?? I do not know of this person, but I will tell you that my wife will never let me take a trip to China or Japan, lols!
And, boy! this last trip! crawling up and flying down the tallest peaks in Merica! The snow, the rain, the traffic,blah,blah,blah (insert Charlie Brown's teacher explaining something on the blackboard), just kidding!
It's great to be here!

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:21 pm

"First of all, you passed the welcome test like no other in a long time."

ivanovnegro: Thank you! I won't let you down on the breakage! I love nothing more than pushing just to see how much I can get out of programs,OS's, trucks (I am my company's stress test when they try out a new truck,lols). Honestly, I need to learn a lot!
I have spent 12 years really just wingin' it, and I could use a little more discipline.
Thanks for welcoming me to the grill!

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm

gutterslob wrote:Welcome to the wasteland. We'll have you up to speed in no time, pimping out your truck with tinted black window managers and flaming guitar guys.
Now! That's what I'm talking about!
Thanks, gutterslob!

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:31 pm

Darry1966, vic, and bones: Thanks for the welcome!

machinebacon: Thanks! You have already pointed me in a few great directions! In fact, I was going to get started on my Adipositas project today- if the boss man lets me sit long enough!

Thank you, everyone!

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:35 pm

hello, and do your truck have a 'jacket hanger peg thing' on the b pillar?
That is where my coffe iv bag hangs.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:45 pm

wuxmedia wrote:^ don't they have a kitchenette in the back?
truckers drink it by the IV drip?
I don't have a kitchenette, but that would be great! I do have a microwave, an electric skillet, and a George Foreman grill!
I love to cook! I have actually been thinking about putting one of those fancy Keurig coffee makers in the truck, but I am a little worried about water in that holding tank sloshing around while I am driving....

The IV trick doesn't work. One good bump and the needle gets ripped out of your arm! OUCH! Besides, I am terrified of needles!
My wife laughs at me when I have to go to the hospital to get a shot or blood taken. She says I sound like a scared little girl- no, really! My voice gets that high pitched, lols! Now just try to imagine a scared 6 year old girl packaged in a big, 49 year old truck driver's body....I lol myself!

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:50 pm

rust collector wrote:hello, and do your truck have a 'jacket hanger peg thing' on the b pillar?
That is where my coffe iv bag hangs.
Hello, fellow trucker! No peg. If I could use an IV I would have to hang it from the overhead console. I think that put the line in the way of my reach to the steering wheel or the shifter, lols!

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:31 pm

Greetings and welcome noo_b_nomnoms! I used to be a Jacksonviller, travelling I-10 and I-95 daily... now I'm a Linuxgriller, travelling the I/O information super highway!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 am

..gnutella..