Getting ahold of the 64bit versions of Firefox

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
bizcuit
Gangbanger

Getting ahold of the 64bit versions of Firefox

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:42 pm

Got new lappy and it's been a massive PITA so far. Beginning to wonder if this sucker is an upgrade or a big step down, good ole trusty-crusty desktop never gives such butt pains ! Anyway ... went to download latest firefox from mozilla and run it from /home ... per usual. Go into firefox folder and attempt to launch it by clicking on the firefox or firefox-bin file as normal. Thing wouldn't launch for love, nor money, somewhere along the way figured out that when a person downloads firefox from mozilla's website, it gives them the 32bit version.

Bit of googling, found out where you can get the 64bit firefox builds, just follow the link on that pg and a person only needs to choose their language folder and download all the mozilla goodness for gnu/nix. W/o further babble ...

Dowload link for 64bit Linux firefox.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Getting ahold of the 64bit versions of Firefox

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:39 pm

thx biz for sharing. Been on iceape as been a little disappointed by the performance (CPU and RAM usage) of some of the more 'major' browsers lately. Opera is going to webkit. When that happens, will prob go with that too.

Work hard; Complain less

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Definitely welcome Dkeg ...

For awhile there, was a real head scratcher for me. Wth !!! Why isn't it working like normal !??!?! Errrr ... dork you have a 32bit version of firefox on a 64bit system ... arghhhh ! Mozilla seems to be dropping the ball on this one. If it can save other nixers time or butt pains, figure it's a duty to share info.

Stashed the sucker in a hidden .dot folder in /home, symlinked it, added keyboard shortcuts and it's running fine now. Was about to start pulling hair out for a bit. :P

VlLBBQ! :)

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Why won't iceweasel work? I haven't had any problems using it instead of firefox. (not saying there aren't any, just I haven't had any)
-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Fair question Hinto ...

Again ... don't have much of a fair answer. Iceweasel vs Firefox iz a long running nix drama, I prefer FF. Thought it annoying that mozilla feeds people a 32bit version, when they download from mozilla's website ... after a few butt pains it became clear that I was getting 32bit FF, while needing/wanting 64bit and w a bit of googling, found out where 64bit was available ...

Hinto for da luv of gawd, don't make an extremely buzzed person explain all of this nonsense ! If you download FF for gnu/nix from the mozilla website, they give you the 32bit version, if that's not what you want/need ... See the nonsense above.

Random notes: Do people have any idea how hard typing while wasted iz on this friggin laptop keyboard ??!?!?! Lemme friggin tell ya ... it's not a walk in da park !!! :p

IF you want the 64bit firefox builds for gnu/nix .... There's the link above, if ya don't ... no worries, you have no need of such. :P

Vll! :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:16 pm

If you remember my Firefox threads scattered all on the web and in one you even posted you would already know how to find the 64bit version. :)

I just say one thing, let us not talk Ice vs Fox please, though I am with Bizcuit here. ;)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 pm

http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Iceweasel
There are small differences between Firefox and Iceweasel though, and there are people that insist that one is better than the other. Our advice: let them talk and decide for yourself.
;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 am

The topic is about "why does fruggin webzite offer 32 if ya dawg needs 64" so it's okay. And yesh there are differences between the two, not just branding. And both try to suck equally, in recent years.
..gnutella..