Hello

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
sgtbigman
Oyster-Slurper

Hello

Unread post by sgtbigman » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:04 am

Greetings,

I recently stumbled upon LinuxBBQ and wanted to start being an active participant in the forums and IRC channel (I am usually a simple lurker of most forums, but really would like to change that, starting here at the grill).

I have not had a chance to install any of the BBQ distros just yet, but I have my eyes set on killX; I think it will go great on an old laptop I have sitting around here.

My introduction to Linux was roughly seven years ago with Ubuntu and Mint (although I remember reading a few things about Red Hat when I was younger). A couple years ago, I stumbled upon Crunchbang and used it until a fellow coworker pointed me to Arch Linux. Currently, I run Arch on my desktop, Crunchbang on an old laptop (possibly where killX will be installed), Debian on another old laptop running as a home server, and Fedora 22 on my work laptop. Who knows, maybe some of those will be replaced by BBQ variants in due time :)

I'm really looking forward to learning more from all of you, and maybe (hopefully) giving back whenever I can.

I'll consider posting in the scrots thread once I have something worth posting :P

Thanks

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Hello

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:31 am

Hello and welcome to the grill!

Honestly, killX is quite an old piece and I don't think anybody here still uses it :D I would rather go with a BBQ noX variant (in case of 64 bits, it would be "Lacipecsenye") and build it up or, if you anyway plan to replace #!, go with "BREAK!" (if you want sid 586) or "Space Oddity" (if you want jessie 586) which is Openbox, too. Or you take "Bowlful" which is based on Slackware 686.

But hey, do whatever you think is fun, we will definitely help you fix shit if shit happens :)

Most of us were active #! forum members, from around 2009 until 2012, and then we left the sinking ship :D

From which part of the world are you? Hobbies, family?
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:46 am

yeah tell us more! welcome to the grill :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:43 am

Welcome to the grill Sergeant Sonic :D

Cheerio
Private Simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:54 am

^^ collect rings, defeats Dr Robotnik...

Welcome sgt, 'ten hup!
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:05 am

^ Defeat Dr.Chroot :o :D

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:08 am

Welcome Sargeant- enjoy your experiments.:)
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:42 pm

welcome sarge. I saw you had joined the IRC when I shut things down for the night. Thanks for the intro and good to see the enthusiasm. Like the others said, we are not just about linux; hobbies? family? etc....

Work hard; Complain less

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:56 pm

Welcome Sarge, to the smartest, funniest, hungriest Forum on the planet. Pull up a stump, have a seat and grill up!!
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Welcome to the human grill
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Ollo and welcum to you Sega franchise! Be sure to try some obscure shit and post the scrot.
rice no more.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:49 pm

^^ Mmmm, sweet tender succulent bodybuilder loin :D

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Welcome, Sarge! Have fun! There are lots of great spins out there on the grill, so pig out! This is a great place to learn about anything Linux! And don't forget to check out their wiki. The wiki is very educational. It is also entertaining!And these guys are great! I was a forum lurker, also. I bet they wish I would be a little more of a lurker, sometimes, lols!
Dude, you just fell into the best bbq on the block!
Cream is a great way to get your feet wet if you've ever wondered about all those other window managers hanging about, plus there is also a framebuffer session and tmux.
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm

^
Just remember, Cream is not recommended for installation.
You can, but...... update at your own risk. It could break into more peices than a smashed car window ;)
It is a live iso buffet of WM extravaganza, and us WM fetichists love it :D

cheerio
simon

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:44 pm

simgin wrote:^^ Mmmm, sweet tender succulent bodybuilder :D
Beware of the tube steak :p
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Hah Chef :D

sgtbigman
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by sgtbigman » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Wow, such "warm" greetings :D

Born, raised, and currently residing in Midwest US (East part of it, at least). Living with my lovely wife, who puts up with having to use i3wm on my desktop when she wants to play a game (although I did install Cinnamon for her use) :) We also have a crazy, energetic dog (maybe she'll behave better once she's a year old)!

Along the line of hobbies, I enjoy running (have been slacking on this as of late), attempting to contribute to free software projects (games), cooking, and reading (mostly fiction/fantasy; currently on book 4 of a Song of Ice and Fire: a Feast for Crows). I also enjoy playing video games, although I sort of go through a feast or famine ordeal with them, it seems. Current game (addiction) of choice is Civ V, which has resulted in many later nights than necessary. The wife and I have dabbled in some wine-and-cider making, but haven't tried brewing beer yet (cider and wine are just too easy, plus they are what we prefer). This is a great thing to do together, but we don't do it too often since our supply lasts fairly long :) There are probably some other hobbies/interests I forgot to mention, but I'm sure I'll find some threads to join in on and reveal more of said hobbies as time allows.

Thanks for the suggested bbq releases. I am curious to try out Bowlful since I've never tried Slackware before (hmmm, maybe this won't be one of my better ideas...)

Again, thanks to all of you for the nice replies. I'll be sure to find some interesting threads to hop into, and I've already said hello to dkeg on the IRC channel :)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:03 pm

Welcometo the grill sgtbigman. Go and break your steak!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:10 am

^^ just do it, see what happens :)

we have a dog-thread somewhere too, check out the rest of /dev/null on the forums, if you feel like sharing :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:17 am

i3wm user eh? - show us yer scrot then :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"