Still around and around and around...

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Still around and around and around...

Unread post by Launfal » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:49 pm

Hey, all

Got settled into the new job (which is better than the old job) and have found some time to get back to this book that's in serious need of a final rewrite. Still on Debian, still on Jessie, still no major problems, fires, plagues or family deaths.

I guess systemd isn't a horseman of the apocalypse after all.

Threw up screenies of my latest desktop and xcolors theme, but other than that, still just doin' what I do. I'm mostly cli, but since at the moment Debian doesn't have a video player that will play in the framebuffer, I'm doin' my thing in X, but Iceweasel is still the only graphical app I'm using, but I did find a cool extension called Vimfx which is like vimperator/pentadactyl junior. Pretty sweet, but it does take some getting used to.

Ain't much else to report. Just trying to get this draft done to see if I can actually sell this beast. The wife says yes, I ain't so sure. We'll see what we see.

So until next time, keep the grill hot while you stay cool.

Launfal

simgin
Meme Fodder

Re: Still around and around and around...

Unread post by simgin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:10 am

^ Good to have you back Launfal, we missed your good spirit.
Now write a crime story about the BBQ, some kind of murder mystery ala Agatha Christy called "The Wicked S(p)ins" :D
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:18 am

I'm not very good at mysteries. Love to read 'em, don't have the patience to write 'em.

Maybe what we need is a good serial novel like Dickens used to write, maybe in the blogs section. Every so often a new chapter that ends on a cliffhanger or something. Nothing too heavy, but with lots of running around and doing stuff. Long on action, short on thinking. Easy to write, easy to follow.

Now that I think about it, that's not as silly an idea as I thought it was...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:52 am

Welcome back!

mplayer does play in framebuffer, dear Sir Launfal, guaranteed:

mplayer -vo fbdev2 /path/to/video

It even works with youtube-dl. You just have to add the output size, too -- this differs from machine to machine, depending on the supported resultion (-xy 1024) and if you like, with zooming in (-zoom). If not fbdev2, try fbdev as parameter. You can also put these options into your .mplayer config file. Aaaand IIRC mplayer2 does it, too.
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:30 am

Good to see you around again Launfal.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 am

^^ Mplayer certainly did back in the day.
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 56#p310956
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:16 am

^ it does so in Adipositas ;)
..gnutella..

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:12 pm

@MB Mplayer1 in Wheezy did, but I've never been able to get Mplayer2 in Jessie to do it. VLC will in ASCII (before it crashes) and MPV just won't. I see that Mplayer1 made it back in Sid, so I'll have to load Adipositas onto my laptop and play with it there. I've got a couple of recent spins I've been wanting to try but I just haven't had time lately.

I'll admit, I haven't spent much time trying to debug this stuff, so it could very well be something in my configs that I'm not doing right.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 pm

Even easier: run a file with aforementioned config in mplayer2 and post the debug output here.
..gnutella..

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:08 am

^ OK, just installed Mplayer2 in Jessie and tried to play a video. With no video output specified, it plays the video in ASCII. -vo help shows a directfb driver, but when I try to use that, I get unable to open tty0: permission denied and I have to log out of the tty to get access back to the screen.

/dev/fb and /dev/fb2 work the same as no video output specified. I get the video in ASCII.

There's got to be something basic I'm missing, but I'm hanged if I know what it is.

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:25 am

Quick update:

Mplayer in Slackware just works. I have a feeling that the original Mplayer was ok, and they did something funky in Mplayer2 and removed the framebuffer drivers in MPV.

Since Mplayer1 made a return in Sid, that could explain why the framebuffer drivers work there. Now I just need to boot up a spin and test my theory.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:10 am

If it plays in ASCII, it is going through libcaca. Have you clearly given "-vo fbdev2" to the player? Also make sure you have no .mplayer.conf or even ~/.mplayer/conf file that overrides these settings.
..gnutella..

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:56 am

^ yeah, I tried that first. If you do a -vo help, the fbdev drivers aren't even in the list, and if you try to use one, it tells you that it can't find it. I thought I read somewhere that mplayer2 and mpv stripped put those drivers because they couldn't find anybody to maintain them, but I can't find the reference now. Next up, I'm gonna try mplayer in sid and see what happens.