Don't do this at home

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
archvortex
Uninstaller

Don't do this at home

Unread post by archvortex » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:01 am

Warning on Phoronix (I don't think anyone here would do this anyways).

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... -directory

Love the photo attached from the article with REAL Guinness, not the halal crap in Malaysia and Indonesia
Attachments
image.jpg
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Re: Don't do this at home

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:07 am

^ I know mate, they don't even sell proper beer anymore here. Have to drive some 15 miles just to get some paulaner. :)
rice no more.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:41 am

I don't drink anymore but use beer and stout for cooking and Mansion House Brandy (LOL) for baking. At least you're close enough to Surabaya to get stuff. When I was in Malang, all my teachers would complain that all they had to drink was Bintang and Anker and would sometimes phone in sick with Bintang belly.
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:53 am

How can beer be halal? I mean, IIRC Muslim dietary laws forbid alcohol altogether. Is this a non-alcoholic Guinness then?
..gnutella..

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:48 am

^^ ikr, especially anker... that tastes like rat's piss, a sure way to get you leptospirosis. LOL

^ By halal he meant severely reduced alcohol percentage, and though most moslem majority countries effectively ban any alcoholic beverages, some like Indonesia and Malaysia still allow it (in limited places, mostly at major cities or some region where its inhabitant are predominantly non-moslem )
rice no more.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:44 pm

No, by halal I mean the Guinness Foreign Stout formula was changed slightly and the filtration is different to meet standards set by the Indonesian government, and not regarding the recent change in the laws in Indonesia for beer sales and the creation of crappy Guinness Zero. I used to consume a fair bit of Guinness in my younger days and the taste of Guinness here is definitely different and it makes my lamb and beef stews taste slightly different. In Bali, we can still get Guinness Foreign Stout from Australia or Singapore which tastes normal.

As far as Muslim dietary laws go here, there are many Muslims who drink alcohol regularly and eat haram food occasionally except during Ramadhan. There is also a fatwa against smoking in Indonesia but that doesn't stop Muslim Indonesians from smoking. ;)
Color is bloat

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:20 pm

^ aww okay, i misinterpreted that. Thanks :)

I'm not even aware there's a fatwa against smoking here.... lol that explains a lot. I rarely interact with the Moslems, the strict ones at least.
rice no more.