Introduce yourself.

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
bones
Clooney

Re: Introduce yourself.

Unread post by bones » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Oh okay, I see I should probably write a little something about myself.

I am bones, a.k.a. Clooney, because I bear a strong resemblance to some actor-dude. I ended up here because I visited the old #! forums a few years ago to see if anything interesting was going on (having abandoned its use, myself), and discovered that some cool guys that knew more than the average #!er had been creating some light sid spins, and their links in their sigs led me here.

I have been interested in computers since I touched my first Apple II back in 1977, and have used Macs professionally since 1986. I work in the commercial printing industry as a prepress technician/manager. I was an enthusiastic user of BeOS back in the day, and discovered Linux around 1999, with Red Hat.

These days I primarily use Slackware and OpenBSD, but I would probably use 9front if they had a nasty, bloated, "modern" browser. Oh, the irony. I spend way too much time thinking about web browsers, actually. It's all about finding one that you hate the least.

Distros I find interesting these days are: rlsd, alpine, stali, and crux. I will always have a soft spot for Debian.

Personally, I am married and live in Salem, Oregon. I was born in Arkansas (Hi, Debian Joe!), spent my childhood in Tucson, AZ, my teen years in San Diego, CA, and my entire adult life in Salem. My wife and I have a side business selling handmade soap, herbal tinctures, salves, and ointments, called Wildcraft Herbarium.

I enjoy archery, cycling, camping, backpacking, foraging, rockhounding, and kayaking; being outdoors, basically. I read a lot and don't watch much media, whether TV, movies, news, whatever. I listen to a lot of classical music and somafm. Having spent a good part of my life both studying natural health & healing, and working in the natural foods industry, I care a lot about these issues. I have been a vegan for about a month now, after following a paleo diet for a couple of years. Also done the vegetarian and macrobiotic thing, too.

As an aside, I spent some time as a child and teenager living in Mexico. I really like Mexico. Someday I may retire there, or somewhere in South America.

Ideologically, I am an anarchist. No, I don't wish to discuss or debate this with you. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:04 am

^ Very nice intro Clooney, interesting stuff too. Two questions:
1. How is the soap trade going?
2. I never tried BeOS, but it has a big following, still to this day. What was so good about it? One thing I have heard is that it was good with media, am I right?

Good to see you here again mate :)

Cheerio
Simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:25 am

I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but I am very much enjoying this thread! Lots of stuff I didn't know :)
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:27 pm

^^ simgin:

1. Pretty good, but I'm not quitting my day job, yet. :)
2. Yeah, media, primarily. Fast, responsive, no cruft. One thing I liked to do to show off BeOS was to play 6-8 movies at once, with no dropped frames or slow down. That was a big deal, at the time.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:33 pm

^ I ran it for a week or two, mostly recall the cool window tabs, and a lot of yellow. I can't remember if it had a WINE like thing with macos, possibly not.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:44 am

J
LIKES: God, beer, cars, cats, Debian, and keyboard shortcuts.

Fits 7 of the requirements for a Bork user.
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:19 pm

^ Nice, didn't spot this thread, forum sometimes goes a bit odd, depending on what time one accesses it.

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:30 pm

It was a tossup between dig up old thread or make narcissistic personal intro thread :D
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:39 pm

^ TBH i normally just check the 'view new post' but it disappears them pretty quick sometimes.