Tech and Gadgets: Old and new.

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
simgin
Meme Fodder

Tech and Gadgets: Old and new.

Unread post by simgin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:12 am

Hello grillers.
I have been thinking about a thread for a while now, well about the title tbh. We ravage and pillage the internet for news and info about technology in general. So why not show and caress our curiosity with our finds with each other in a dedicated thread.
These will be physical items, ie. weird keyboards, drones, super cameras, rare old consoles, computer chips or what ever.
I think you get the gist :)
I will start out with a kickstarter project that I have never heard of. It's an ARM board, and it is cheap, compared to the specs.

https://www.pine64.com/product

Now let us start.

Cheerio
Simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Re: Tech and Gadgets: Old and new.

Unread post by simgin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:00 am

Oh dear spamming myself here :)

Just found this other board from Odroid. Why I have never seen these tiny things with fans etc. is tragic. :(
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:51 am

Beautiful looking laptop. A bit too expensive for me though.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/purism/librem-15
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:37 pm

/Rant mode: Of course they are expensive. I do not get this hype about libre machines. Yeah, it respects your freedom, great! But other than that it is just too expensive.\

Buy a nice Thinkpad and that's it. :)

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:39 pm

^^ Doesn't the i7 require proprietary microcode (or at least only work best with it installed)? The intel-microcode package is in the non-free repo. And that laptop uses ath9k wireless; firmware for that is also in the non-free repo. I am confused.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:52 pm

^ I have several i5/i7 machines, none of them has intel ucode installed and is stable enough. Those that will benefit from it are mostly the too-expensive cpus (the K , -E, or X series) i think, as they really need it to work.

and yeah i agreed, the hardware choice aren't that good for the supposed-to-be-libre-machines.
rice no more.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:56 pm

^^ good points, pidsley. there might be an explanation:

- Debian's non-free does only mean 'not following DFSG', which is mostly a legal/licensing situation where Debian wants to prevent legal issues. Debian is *quite* anal, as we know, see the Firefox logo story, or even when the (technically) "free and open" source code is missing a reference to the LICENSE file.
- ath9k seems to have an 'Open' version - not for all devices, though (https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware)
- I am not sure about how important the intel-microcode package per se is. I never noticed a difference (except of warning messages when I had it installed and some update 'broke' it). Of course I don't have a new generation Intel CPU. [edit: frank was quicker]
- PureOS is actually just a rebranded Debian Jessie with backports enabled and apparently without contrib and non-free in the sources.list and Cinnamon on top. The live-build stuff is here, for the interested ones: https://github.com/purism/pureos-build ... seems the only kernel patch they (PureOS) use is for the touchpad. So this is basically a new take on Trisquel or GnuSense (or whatever they are/were called)
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Thanks guys. I have heard a bunch of FUD about the latest intel hardware being non-free, so I was just suprised by the specs. It makes sense that there might be some free alternatives to the proprietary stuff. Personally I don't care, but I know some people do. I think there are a lot of other choices we make in life that are much more important.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:38 am

I am also perplexed about all these microcode bits and bobs. I have tried to read up on it, but there is no clear definition or anything of the sort of why and when it is needed. I have a couple of newer Intel's, i5 and i7, and I have never bumped into any issues with the lack of understanding what this code is or was or does. But one thing I am sure of too, as Pidsley mentioned (EDIT: and as Julius just said), is that new i7's are not so called open. If I am incorrect please show me where I can read about it, and I will stand corrected.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:49 am

One more reason I will be using my older hardware for as long as I can.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:49 am

just for my info in case i want to buy a new laptop at some point in the future: i wasn't going with AMD because they've only given me shit with Linux so far (fucking Radeon Mobile doesn't help)... so i figured I should do Intel. is that correct?
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:44 am

^ certainly can be. GFX intel is good on the Acer, for the NUC (i5) GFX to work as expected had to install some drivers, no idea if they were non-free.
A fancy Radeon didn't do very well, ubuntu runs OK on it now.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:35 am

yeah dont really care about non-free or not. just want something that is supported on linux.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:20 pm

time for a meme.

CREATES FREE OPERATING SYSTEM

<bad breath richard>

MAKES SURE OSS GFX DRIVERS DON'T WORK

(of course this is bullshit, just wanted to add something useful to this thread /not)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:47 pm

Yes Rhow. I always go Intel but then I never buy shiny new hardware, only used and refurbished stuff like the Thinkpads. I see no point in buying expensive unsupported UEFI infested crap.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:23 am

yeah i suppose i should mostly keep an eye out for UEFI, eh. i'll just do some decent research and hope my laptop doesnt break down in the mean time forcing me to make a quick decision.