Tomorrow is Nyepi here in Bali.

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
archvortex
Uninstaller

Tomorrow is Nyepi here in Bali.

Unread post by archvortex » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:11 am

Noisy day today in Bali. Parades going by my house all day. Tomorrow is Nyepi, the Balinese day of silence. Tourists are stuck in the their hotels and villas. No one is allowed out on the streets and you are not supposed turn on anything electrical either. Needless to say, my laptop will on with headphones. Pic of paraders just going by my house making noise to scare away evil spirits and the Ogoh Ogoh.
Attachments
parade.jpg
ogohogoh.jpg
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Tomorrow is Nyepi here in Bali.

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:43 pm

I wish I had a day of silence in Chinkistan too...

So does that mean that your internet will be down for 24 hours? Not even GSM/UMTS/xG?
..gnutella..

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:17 pm

No, I will still have internet. Stuff like being quiet and no lights on in the house is expected but watching TV with low volume or using the internet is not noticeable from outside. Hey this is Indonesia where nobody follows the rules and the rules are barely enforced. I wonder what the guests will be doing down the road at the Hyatt, especially because the daily breakfast buffet is an part of the package. I usually go there once a week for breakfast with my family. Everybody knows me there because I've stayed there on holiday for 15 years up until I moved to Bali. I just give one of the front desk guys at the restaurant some cash and take my family in for the buffet. The huge fucking tray of bacon is awesome.
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:27 am

Thanks for a peek into another world (to me).
"...Bacon is awesome." - Duh :)

Oh yeah we watched a program from the 70's (BBC4 is doing 'collections', cheap re-run TV) about Balinese music, amazing hammers and gongs and shit. Got pretty boring after 10mins though, not very multiculturalist of us :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:02 pm

^ to be honest, i'm pretty bored with Balinese music.... as well as any Indonesian traditional music. :) It's normal, especially if it's the traditional religious compositions.

Bali during Nyepi, HK during CNY, Rabat during Eid Mubarak... All of them sucks.
rice no more.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:14 am

Thanks for some insight Archvortex, I always love seeing pictures from arround the world.
Need to fuckin travel soon :(

Ogoh Ogoh looks like he eats "man spectrwm whiners" for breakfast on a quite morning in Bali :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:39 pm

And I thought here in Bavaria they have crazy laws, no dancing and music on some very serious Christian holidays like Easter.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:21 am

It's only on that one day. The day before the day of silence, the Balinese have parades, festivities and make as much noise as possible to chase all the ghosts and spirits away. Then the following day the Balinese remain silent all day so when the ghosts and spirits return they find nothing happening and leave.
Color is bloat