no window manager section?

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
rhowaldt
Dog

Re: no window manager section?

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:25 pm

pidsley wrote:Personally, I think almost every window manager should be tried as it comes configured from the repo. The person who wrote the window manager designed it to be used that way, and you can learn a lot by trying it and understanding how the writer meant it to be used. Then you can start building your own config a little at a time, and you will learn more this way. Starting with a large config from someone else just means you get that person's idea of how things should work, and you won't learn as much. It may include features and other crap you never use or understand, and when it breaks you will be unable to fix it.

I think this also applies to other things, like zsh. Too many people start using zsh with the grml config (or worse, oh-my-zsh) and then they have problems because they have no clue how the config works. I think it is better to build your own config from scratch (taking parts of grml if you understand them) -- you end up with a much leaner config that you understand and which works for you, and you learn much more in the process.
pidsley just made a valid point.
Last edited by rhowaldt on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added quote because pagebreak
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:36 pm

rho just broke a page.
..gnutella..

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:21 pm

^ :D
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:48 am

^^ fixed :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

aaah
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by aaah » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:48 am

Thanks for the advice, and my remark about stealing from others was a joke!

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:14 pm

^ Understood. We are a little sensitive to comments about stealing work -- we had a member who passed work done by others off as his own, and another who "found" our work and used it in his "distrolette" without adequately attributing the source.