good morning, good night

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: good morning, good night

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:52 pm

franksinistra wrote:^ Thanks wux, but i already tried everything short of having official smc.bin request which for some reason HP support won't respond.
Shit.

^ Yeah, quite mild here in UK; 10 deg C.... OK so I'm maybe not one for the hotter climes anything near 30 and it's like an oven to me :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:00 am

Just got home from getting my brain and heart checked in Penang. Things are improving, especially my memory. Stopped eating meat, only eating fruit and raw vegetables most of the time with the occasional cooked pasta dish. It seems that my body is repairing itself and I find myself remembering or recalling a lot more stuff since the crash. Pretty happy about this.

Frank, where did you get the elitebook from for that price? Tokopedia?

Happy belated birthday Theo!!
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 am

^ nah, i got it from my friend (since he bought a new laptop). :)

Afternoon gents (and ladies perhaps), 25 degrees Celsius and heavy rain here.
rice no more.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:35 am

Frank, I used something similar to this and it worked on my old boss's hp laptop when he forgot his password. See Rakib Hasan's post and Brian Taylor's instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aslVZs ... alse&gl=US
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:16 pm

^ tried that one too before, didn't work. Anything short of official smc.bin from HP won't work, i assume.
Anyway, you moved out to Penang now?
rice no more.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:46 am

^^ Ah, I've dreamed of hitting the banana trail and hitting up Penang/Georgetown. My best friend's older brother said that it was 1000x more Bali-like than Bali.

I woke up yesterday morning in Sarasota, Florida, going to sleep tonight in Columbia, Missouri. I had a meeting with a client of my Dad's that I had to meet in Indianapolis, Indiana this morning... I was under the misunderstanding until night before last that he would be available all week.

I can't say I minded it, though. I feel more comfortable snuggled up in a blanket in the truck at a Loves or Pilot :D Waiting for my number to be called for the showers...
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:57 am

^ IMO Both Bali and Penang are overrated, i still like Lombok, Kanawa and Krabi more than them both (probably because they are not overly crowded).
rice no more.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:41 am

^^ Sitting in a truck stop in Oklahoma, myself! :) On my way to Nebraska, lols.
^ I've never been there. It would all be pretty exotic to me! :)
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:52 am

^^ as a local of a tourist destination it suddenly sucks to be in town.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:59 am

^Ha! If tourists show up in my neck of the delta, they are desperate or lost, lols!
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:43 am

I'm still in Sanur but my house in Batu, East Java is up for sale now. Some people from Surabaya are looking at it today. Too many tourists now in Batu and the traffic from Malang and Surabaya is getting really annoying. At night, certain parts of Batu are prone to traffic jams due to the entertainment parks and tour buses. It used to be nice because of the views of the volcanoes and fresh air plus cheap living cost but as with everything in Java, the sheer volume of people fucks up everything.

I agree about Bali. All the Aussies have ruined Kuta and surrounding areas and now with the tourist visa cost waived for them there may be more coming although latest stats show a decrease lately. Why pay US$35 for a visa for Indonesia and it's shitty infrastructure when you can go to Malaysia and Thailand for free and better infrastructure and just as cheap if not cheaper? Bali is just as expensive as Penang. Not really a fan of Lombok. I always felt uncomfortable there and have had many arguments with dickhead locals there. I won't ever go back there. Penang is probably going to happen within the next year. Singapore is still in the running although decidely more expensive. More crowded in Bali than Penang. Penang has great food, easy to navigate, has a Tesco, and so many people speak English and have manners. Medical services are excellent and affordable. Malaysia's 2nd Home program makes it easy to move and live there. Indonesia is a pain in the ass and every time I have to go to Immigration or Kantor Wilayah or whatever for my residency, somebody is looking for money and regulations are not clear, not followed or not known. This country has such great potential and if they did the opposite of what they think they should do, it would be a great nation and a pleasure to live in. My Indonesian wife now understands and agrees with last sentence. And she also agrees that it is better to live in Malaysia than Indonesia for many reasons.

I can hear some Russian tourists having difficulties explaing something to the front desk of the hotel so I will go across the lane and help my neighbours out before it starts pouring.
Color is bloat

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:04 am

Selamat pagi semuanya!! (Good morning all)
My inxi on my Arch Linux says:

Code: Select all

stan@ArchLinux:~$ inxi -xxxW Denpasar,Bali
Weather:   Conditions: 88 F (31 C) - Partly Cloudy Wind: From the WNW at 5 MPH Humidity: 70%
           Pressure: 29.83 in (1010 mb) Heat Index: 100 F (38 C)
           Time: April 8, 10:01 AM WITA Observation Time: April 8, 9:30 AM WITA
It's going to be a freaking hot and humid Friday :)
Color is bloat

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:31 am

pff, my thermometer reads 6.8C outside.
Inside is 11.8C , wearing just a jumper and, hey what are those indonesian scarfs called, normally check patterned, mostly used to stop sulphur fumes and pollution?
I am wearing a nice orange and black one, as well as jeans.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:11 pm

^ Selendang?

Archvortex: man, as a brown local guy i sometimes forgot how very bothersome it must've been to be harassed by the locals... Lol You're totally right, i don't have to deal with 'Beli Patung mister?' 'Beli suvenir mister?', scams, and invasive assholes in Bali and Lombok as well... Haha and some Australian tourists are indeed lack some manners.
rice no more.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:11 pm

the heat is starting up here in HK as well. "it's so hot!" - "wait till july motherfucker! you don't know what 'hot' means!" :D

anyway, good night. had a late day of teaching, just came home 2030. Teaching again tmrw 1000-1830, then Sunday 1500-1700. Next weekend: the same. Cue Coldplay, "Nobody said it was easy". luckily i don't care, i like teaching :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:19 pm

@ Rho just wait til July when you walk outside and instantly sweat. I lived in HK for four years. Used to walk quickly from air conditioned store to air conditioned store. On the side streets with no airflow, it is stifling and sometimes you feel like you can't breathe. Saw many tourists pass out. 37-40C with 97% humidity and a heat index of 50C or more is not enjoyable for long periods of time. And the typhoons are fun. School cancelled on heavy rain days (red or black warning and 100-200 mm in a few hours) or number 8 typhoon warning.

@ Frank, yep hello mistered to death but it's not so bad as 15 years ago. Lombok has some really pushy sellers especially on the way to Gili T and I've been in physical fights there (how many times do I have to say no I don't want to buy mushrooms or ganja? Jancok! LOL). There are a lot of Australian tourists in Bali that have no fucking manners. Sitting everywhere in temples, smoking or drinking beer on altars, stepping on or kicking Canang sari (offerings) everywhere, disrespecting local customs or culture. I always laugh my ass off when a monkey steals their shit and breaks it or plays with it and the Aussie can't get it back.

One of my friends is coming from the US so I will be heading to your neck of the woods. I guess we'll be hitting Yogya, Borobudur/Prambanan, Solo, Magelang, Salatiga, Semarang, and Jepara before going back to East Java and then Bali. If you see a grey Avanza with an N licence plate and some crazy bule driver yelling and swearing in Javanese that will be me. :D
Color is bloat

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:17 pm

@arch: i'm not looking forward to it. i've been here in August and that was already fucking hot, and then they tell me July will be worse. especially fun traveling from school to school with a full backpack to make the sweat run down your back.

btw, did you have a dehumidifier in your house? would you recommend it? we're looking into getting one cause shit is so fucking humid, even have mold forming on windowsills and shit.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:18 pm

snowing today. Nothing major, 3 or so inches. Ready for some warmer, sunny weather though.

Work hard; Complain less

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Wonderful Spring weather in Wyoming today. Doing some Spring cleaning, getting the lawn equipment ready for another season. Woke up early and walked down with coffee to watch some elk herds grazing in the field about 300 meters from our abode. We are seeing Moose, Deer, and Elk coming down into the river valley during this time of year for the first time in over a century... the blasted wolves have made it to this side of the range and are pushing the wildlife down. Last Saturday they killed a sizeable portion of a friend's flock of sheep and his Border Collie :(
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:35 am

Good morning grillers. It's 7:30 am here and I'm just about to get off the train.

Not had breakfast yet but I was able to fix hibernate on my laptop and make some more notes on the train.

It's "pissing it down" as we say in the UK. Hope you all have a great day :)
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol