Linux Tablet?

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Linux Tablet?

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:37 am

Hello,

Would anyone have any interest in a tablet, with say a 9" or 10" screen, running Linux? I am not talking a chroot setup in Android, but honest real Linux, even a command line-only distro if you so desired? It would have a 64bit Intel processor, so any x86-x64 distro would work.

Just asking to gauge the interest level for a project a friend of mine is working on.
It would have an optional keyboard available for CLI work, connected via a Pogo connection, so no battery to worry about keeping charged.

It would also be available in a dual-boot option if needed, with both Linux and MS Windows available.

Just asking out of curiosity.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Re: Linux Tablet?

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:32 am

If the price was right, why not? I don't understand "pogo", but the main reason I would want a tablet would be for the portability. I drive trucks, so being able to carry something lighter than this Thinkpad (and all the externals) into a truck stop and doing my work or just surfing would be a plus.
*Edit* Oh, a plugged keyboard vs a bluetooth kb, so no worries about a battery driven kb, right? Duh! Just a little tired. Sorry about that,lols.
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:41 am

kinda like a hacked surface pro?
yeah, that would be cool.
Haven't got the cash for something like that personally.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:15 am

It would run a Cherry Trail CPU, 2 or 4 GB of RAM, and either a 64GB or 128GB EMMC, or a 256Gb SSD.

Prices would range from $230 (x5-Z8350, 2Gb RAM, 64Gb EMMC) to $500 (x7-Z8750, 4Gb RAM, 256Gb SSD). My friend has been crunching the financial numbers on this for a while to make it work.

It would have MicroSD Slot for additional storage (Up to 128GB) and a Mini PCI-Express Slot mounted internally but with external access. This would allow LTE phone network data cards, TV tuner cards, and others as long as they are Mini PCI-Express form factor and had Linux drivers.

External ports would include (2) Full-size USB-3 ports. (1) mini-HDMI In/Out, allowing recording to the internal storage and SD Card from external sources such as video cameras and photography cameras. (1) micro-USB for charging and OTG. (1) USB-C for charging and OTG. (1) 3.5mm Audio Jack

The keyboard would run an additional $50 more, but would have a micro USB and a USB-C port, both for OTG use only.

The tablet body would be cast aluminum, in either a black, or brushed aluminum finish. The keyboard body is still being decided on for it's material, but I would venture either carbon fiber, or a high-strength polymer, both for strength and weight balance in relation to the screen.

These are what he was looking at for specs so far. Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions.

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:22 am

Well, my friend notified me his Linux Tablet project is going ahead and is working to put it in production. They are done with testing the hardware and are going to load Ubuntu 16.04 as the first distro. Other distros to follow, including Fedora, Kali, and OpenSUSE.

There wil be a dual-boot option also, Ubuntu 16.04 / Windows 10, either Home or Pro.

Here is the link for information:

https://m.facebook.com/MJ-Technology-LL ... =typeahead

I am just passing the word on, your choice to check it out. Check out the spec and comparison sheets. This tablet, for the money, will surpass most out there at the moment.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:10 pm

honestly i dont care what my tablet runs as long as i can play Candy Crush. XD

seriously though, cool idea, price seems reasonable compared to the rest of the market. time for a bbq tablet edition? :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:38 pm

I can ask my friend about that possibility. I know the some of the drivers are his and his team's own code, so idk about whether they would be willing to turn loose of them or make an installer for them. Maybe a specific built kernel is the answer. I can ask.

One thing I see this tablet has going for it over that Android retread tablet Canonical is releasing. Since this is x86-based, you are not tied to any one distro. After the initial relase with Ubuntu 16.04, the dev team plans to work on supporting Fedora, Elementary OS, OpenSUSE, and others based on requests from customers.

I see no reason why Debian wouldn't be included, especially if they can come up with a way to add their specific drivers in an installer package, or release a kernel with them already integrated. That may be easier. Beyond my skillset.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:08 am

if they need a CLI edition... ehehehe :D not in the scope I guess.
..gnutella..

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:31 pm

I was actually thinking about a CLI version. :-)

I was thinking Jesse, but with an updated kernel to work with the touch drivers. Basically Adipositas, with a good selection of CLI and ncurses applications. Then if the user wanted to add X window manager later, the touch drivers would work with it.

My other thought was an updated Cream, to allow a way to expose new users to various WM.

I would actually like to see this tablet series in schools, teaching these kids there is more to computers than point and click.

Apple and MS have made the last 3 generations of kids absolute morons when it comes to computers. They teach them nothing but how to be "media consumers". Nothing but drones.

I started out on an Apple 2+, moved to a 2E, then an IBM XT with DOS 4.0 if I remember correctly. Back then you had to understand the hardware to understand the software. Now these kids can't tell the difference between system RAM and HD storage. That tells you my background.

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Talked to my friend developing these tablets. He said if they can get them in prodcution sufficiently, he said he could have his devs look at building a custom kernel/image with the required touch and other drivers built in. It could then be made available for people to use with their own spins here on the grill.

They are closed drivers due to his company developing them from scratch themselves and they don't other companies poaching them right now, but other than that, they could be available within a kernel/image.

That is over my head, so I will let someone else weigh in on that.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:13 am

the kernels can easily be rebuilt using the configuration file, touch drivers I am not sure how they work. Of course we can add anything customized into sources.list, and then rebuild a no-nonsense base spin. Anyway the future smells like wayland/libinput, no idea how it is generally solved atm.

I also think Jessie (or generally stable) is a better choice than unstable. Let's see what "someone else" says :)
..gnutella..

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:22 am

Talked to my friend who is developing this tablet about releasing the drivers for their tablet. Since their drivers were custom made by them, they aren't willing to turn loose of the source code due to competition from the cheap Chinese tablet makers.

What they could possibly do is provide a completely stripped down minimal Jesse or Sid ISO, with just enough to boot the system, and have their custom drivers pre-loaded for the hardware to work, the touch screen, Wifi, Blutooth, etc., and that's it. Nothing else. I would think the ISO would be less than 100Mb maybe. Anything else could be added afterward by the user.

I get that a lot of people here like to RYO releases, but that is the best I could come up with for options in running a minimal Debian release on this tablet design.

Any input/opinions would be aprreciated.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:36 am

there's always github ;)
..gnutella..

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:04 pm

I am not that well versed in using Github. I understand how it works, just haven't had the need to use it very often.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:29 am

Try integrate it to your need? People love learning new things here.... :)
rice no more.

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:35 am

Will do, have a lot to learn in a real short time.

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:12 am

They do have debian mini distros as an Android app. It loads fine. I don't have a micro usb mouse, and using touch drag mouse on phone screen is insanely difficult. Onscreen keyboard takes up a lot of space. But, overall appears to work despite personal hardware annoyances.

I saw MB was reading Android books. Maybe a BBQ android down the road?

Suggestions:
You seem to like Openbox distros, so I suggest "Touchbox" as a custom WM fitting both simplicity and ironic humor requirements.

For release name I was thinking Toaster. Its a Retro Robot that can bbq bread. Also sometmes brave, lol.
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Another idea i thought of that may be easier to program:
Use a tiling window manager, touch to switch tiles. Touch again to open on screen keyboard; have tiles temporarily rearrange when keyboard is open, splitting top half with active tile and bottom with touch keyboard. A little extra work, but adjustable keyboard size could be nice. Some people just wanna see more. Some of us have big hands and need bigger "keys".
Thank You!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:41 am

^^ I'd leave this to the guys at BBQLinux ;)
..gnutella..

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Lol.
I don't care that much, just weird idea's I've thought of. I don't use my android as a phone because its sketchy factory spyware. I've seen there are open-source versions of android, but I have to root the phone first. Then I'd need a mini usb splitter for mouse/keyboard. Just a lot of work for something I don't need...

Play dumb games on a "mini-tablet", use an oldschool slider phone for calls.

Ubunutu phone was a good start, but I look forward to a day where open-source phones are mass produced and sold reasonably. Won't hold my breath though, corporations don't make good money by being 100% transparent with their actions :D
Microsoft would probably loose half its customers or more if the mainstream news showed the population what data is actually being collected from them. Google's in the same boat. Most people here seem too lazy to research these things for themselves sadly.
Thank You!