Creating a multiboot usb drive and Misc.

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
bizcuit
Gangbanger

Re: Creating a multiboot usb drive and Misc.

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Babble update:

Read the snippet, know this isn't the place but actually agree with the guy on his views. If someone learns the history and the present of it, they may well shift over to side with Clem. Not that I'm saying I believe every person of Israeli descent, much less Jewish of any other type are evil folks. (edit: Which btw, I'm fairly well sure I'm of Jewish descent on my fathers side to whatever extent. German-Jewish mutt.)

There's much to the story though and have spent way more time than the average person likely does looking at all sides of the topic. Sorry Baconator, if this is out of line or not the right place then please chitcan this stupid post, shrugs. Tis your domain and space on the interwebz fellow nixer.

If ever did get up the energy to release/maintain a distro would also attempt to monetize it. Not with in your face tactics but various passive means. A hobby is great sure but if it's something someone spends A LOT of time and has residual expenses. Finding ways to passively make a decent living out of it is reasonable imo too. The GPL even encourages it, who da hades I'm I to argue with Richard Stallman and similar.

Imo guy's a fricken genius, he knew unless there are ways to make a good living dorking with open source, people wouldn't invest nearly as many efforts into it. So he said ... go for it. A hobby people really enjoy is great ... Being able to make a good living, doing something you're truly passionate about has to be fricken awesome.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:27 pm

^ right time/right place thingy, you know.

When Ubuntu throatfucked their users with Unity, Clem was already there with the "old Ubuntu feel/green is the new brown".

side babble (yes, you infected me!)
RMS has lost the last piece of pizza when he brought up this:
31 October 2016 (Down's syndrome)
A new noninvasive test for Down's syndrome will eliminate the small risk of the current test.

This might lead more women to get tested, and abort fetuses that have Down's syndrome. Let's hope so! According to Wikipedia, Down's syndrome is a combination of many kinds of misfortune. When children with Down's syndrome are born, they are human beings and I wish the best for them. They deserve the best care, which will enable some of them to live independently. However, when we have the chance to assure that children are born without Down's syndrome, it's our duty to do so for their sake.
https://stallman.org/notes/2016-jul-oct.html
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:06 pm

When comes to you Machine i really have no right to say much of anything. Youve got more skills by far and no doubt more time invested in all related subjects. Am even kinda awed, youdid it. Started a notable Nix distro on a shoe string and think i know youre passionate about tech.

Clems a human being like the rest of us. Actually respect the guy for daring tomake some views he feels strongly about public, even knowing it doesnt go along with the accepted pc-norm anymore. Dont blame him for making efforts to monetize LM either. Its allowedand even encouraged by the Gpl.

From 1st hand experience lm has lived up to the buntu done better thing. Kinda mind numbing how much tech skills are represented just here in this one Nix community. Plenty of ways to get paid for folks who build up the open source tech skills see nothing wrong with any of us doing so.

Kmow youve/MB have invested untkinkable time into deving your skillset. Many things id like to dork with too just dont have time to really get into if its unpaid hours.

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:42 pm

I really like the way TAILS does their LiveUSB. You can make it persistent (with password, because encrypted) and you can upgrade it. I always have a few of them lying around.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:01 am

Sorry bout previous babble, was done at a public Hotspot on an Android qwerty keypad. So worse than usual babble quality.

If the gist of Rms's sentiments are if genetic screening tests determine a couples child is going to suffer a major disorder they should consider aborting, then yep again I personally fully agree with that view too.

If someone knows their child is going to be seriously and inherently screwed up, why in hades would they proceed? What parent wants to bring a genetic defective into the world and spend endless time and resources supporting them? Just stupid way of saying if that's Rms's view on that subject, also agree with him.

Better to bring a child into life that has a reasonable chance of success, than one who's sure to be a drain on an already overtaxed world.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:21 pm

Pretty much usual, but dragging my own thread off track with babble. What brought me back to LM was the uefi/gpt ordeal. Knew upstream would solve the problem soon enough but buntu and lmint were some of the 1st to do so.

Wanted Nix on the laptop and didn't want to invest over much effort at the time to get it done. Hit the easy button and installed LM, for me always proven to be a fire and forget type of distribution and as mentioned the people behind it in my experience do live up to the buntu done better hype.

Liking lmde well enough, and still doubt I'll keep it. Days of having to upkeep several os's are pretty much done for me. It can be a pita. Also as usual Machines made a great point, the dude just customize Debian and call it done. Still like LM for a buncha reasons though. Admire and respect the people behind it. Was smart to base off buntu with all the promotion and popularity surrounding it. Then doing things better and listening to the user base more, shrugs.

Jmo, distribution has earned its millions of users. Also don't doubt Machine could scale all hades out of any Nix he decides to focus on. If that was his goal. Dude's got skills and smarts.

end babble. :)

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:06 am

BEST BOT EVER

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:06 am

^yep babblemech 6500 series. We are not easy to come by. You think this stuff's entertaining ya should see me do interpretive dance dude. :p

Vll!

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:47 am

Can't say the same about down syndrome / mentally challenged people though, my brother is an autistic person (and not the savant kind). Been like that since day 1, and he's totally great.

Other than that I love your babble biz, keep them up.
rice no more.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:58 am

^Thanks man, thought I'd better post something on-topic. With the last few being out there in the babble ozone.

Found something else that can be significant to working w iso's on usb-etc. Had a feeling it might be easier to make some work if the iso is extracted/uncompressed.

Tried it and got an error that the fat32 filesystem doesn't support symlinks, so it failed but many other types obviously do.

Then came across a fairly recent web cite on the topic in which the guy listed all the iso's on the USB drive he'd made and had it noted beside several of them which he'd had to uncompress to get them to work. Guy seemed pretty insistent it is necessary.

Just long babble way of saying if someone keeps trying to get xyz-iso to work and the sucker keeps giving you headaches, could be worth extracting that puppy and seeing if it acts better.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:08 am

Random babble update, wondering if anyone here has used a multi-boot utility called Easy2boot? If so what you thought about it?

In other news, the lmde install long been overwritten. Pretty much as per Mb's thoughts, custom Debian accept no substitutes. Kali... hit the easy button and made a vm to dork with it. It still griped a bit but installed fine + persistence now. Overall impression, pretty much the same as pertains to lmde.
Not so fast: Lil more babble. To be fair saw nothing wrong with either of the above, Lmde w Mate isn't much heavier than Lm 17.2 xfce version. Had no stability issues in the brief time forking w it.

Think Lmde moved to Debian stable vs testing. Jmo that and the type of nixer on avg Lm tends to attract were big factors in the mass borkage associated w lmde early on.

Kali really light, like 125mbs/ram in VirtualBox and guess could save some time for folks who dig that niche, bundled tools/utils blah blah.

Just that as so many people here know, hard to beat an OS you custom make to your own tastes yourself. Not trying to bad mouth others efforts either though.
PS, except for the jackwads who designed typing autocorrect software. They should be killed PERIOD! Come on man as if typing chit out on a mobile qwerty isn't painful enough?! Oh I know he typed a 3 letter word but really meant this 14 letter (totally random chit) one instead!!

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:03 am

I've been hoarding BBQ USB's for a bit now and tried a lot of install methods.
As far as I know, unless it's a hybrid iso, persistance only seems to happen with direct installs. I forgot all the different USB installers I've tried so far (I have a thread here somewhere on my trials/errors). I know unetbootin can do persistance, but only for pure Ubuntu. Most installer programs don't seem to offer it.
I don't think dd'ing the iso to USB and adding bootloader did either unless iso was hybrid.

Now, I just pull my HD out and use a live cd to install to usb. If the USB is the only "HD" the live distro can find, things go smooth and it does a full regular install where things save like normal.

Curious how many Debian based distro's you got on 1 usb? I've had bad luck with the newest one changing swap UUID and disconnecting it from all the previously installed Debians (even on non-targeted HD). That's half of why I pull HD now to prevent USB installs from messing with my regular HD Debian in any way. Somehow /dev/sdb also equals /dev/sda during some parts of install it seems...

If there's a way to dual Debs & BBQs without complications, I'm very interested!
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 pm

Sorry, hadn't seen this.

USB persistence really isn't my thing, so didn't get very far into it. However would look into Easy2boot if inclined.