Runit anyone? :)

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
bizcuit
Gangbanger

Runit anyone? :)

Unread post by bizcuit » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:42 pm

Anyone played around with runit? An alternative init, supposed to be tiny and seen some boot time comparison tests which were done on several types of hardware where it beat out systemd.

Not by much but apparently did. Nor that fast boot matters all that much to geeks who could spend days between reboots. Much less to production type nixers in many usecases but on embedded Nix, interesting. Thing is used as default init in Void Linux. Installed Void xfce version in a vm and liking it well enough, shrugs.

So what do you think about this junk fellows?

pidsley
Hermit

Re: Runit anyone? :)

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:38 pm

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f ... nit#p46687

We have tried most of the alternate init systems out there. I'm partial to busybox myself. I think bacon likes openrc.

Search the /usr/bin subforum for "init" -- there are a bunch of topics there.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Runit

I don't really see the advantage over sysv, but what do I know... And I have to say that after playing with a bunch of different inits, I really don't give a shit anymore.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:53 pm

Well thanks for the link Pidsley. Hope you're well fellow nixer. :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:10 am

yeah as pidsley said, the more you play with them the less interesting it gets. I'm staying with the one I have installed

that's openrc for my customized things [no reason], sysvinit for the default bbq stuff [it just werks], busybox on an old desktop [when pidsley had his voyage to initland he infected me], systemd on the more powerful [lol, compared to all that old crap I have, it is] macbook [though I often boot into sysvinit just because]
i knew you click it. nothing to see here.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:11 am

^ whenever you have something important to say and want everyone to know -- use a "spoiler"

lol
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:22 am

From feedback and what not, gather nobody's done much dorking w runit, no worries already compiled a bunch of resources. Could be interesting if works as advertised. Void is said to be solid/stable if using it default says something about the init.

Replacing core-utils w busybox and related experiments been on the 2dork-do list for quite awhile. Been out of messing with many things Nix for quite awhile here.

Comes to init, glad for all the options and plan on dorking more w the topic depending on dork proj and usecase. Stuff like Alpine and Void, not real excited by the prospect of learning usage of new package managers. Apk and xbps respectively but both appear well documented as w all things tech.

Haven't really bothered going anywhere w runit as yet either. Happy New Yr Bbq'ers!