Games section

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Games section

Unread post by catfood » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:49 am

(i wanted to do this in /tmp forum, but no new topic option visible there)

I search, but not found. Wanted to make a games forum, kinda like the music ones...

i just didn't see it there, but thought it could be useful.

I am more addicted to Brogue than minecraft, PS4, battlenet/blizzard, and all my old consoles. Surely there has to be some Linux game community among you?
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: Games section

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:22 am

I used to have a PS3 and was addicted to Wipeout HD (great, great times online), but then I kind of got tired of it all. Gaming was getting seriously addictive, and when I realized I could spend my time in better ways I sold the console and the few games I had. Books and cinema already take up my spare time enough, I have to get out of the house every now and then.

Sorry, I don't mean to spoil the fun for you, it's just me getting old. :)

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:59 am

No, thank you, I grew up on NES to disconnect me from reality. I'm getting old too, but have yet to learn that deep lesson on escapism vs. reality.

Glad to know I'm not the only one trying to learn a concept skill...

But some games are good. My initial post. "Brogue". Like the 2nd gen OG ASCII rogue dungeon crawler. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but also adult. i make a decent run, I love, i'm done. No "Loot Boxes" no "Pay to play", just run, enjoy your loss, learn, come back later. I love it more than all gui games i have, but it also teaches me. try a RNG chess game, lose. cry, come back another day. No headbutting walls here!. Brogue isn't going anywhere...
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:26 am

I played pretty much all the consoles here and there, at mates houses. even had a go on a vectrex once.
First one I purchased, me and my step bros bought an PSX which blew our minds for a bit, then we joined forces to get an N64 and played Goldeneye, then I bought it from them and took it to college and played it some more, that and MarioKart64 have to be the best games ever, most played anyway. Somewhere around that time we got an Xbox Mk1 and halo, that was fun especially playing 4 player on a projector.
Around the turn of the millennium I had gotten all some old ones (snes, master system, megadrive/genesis, even a saturn, which was pretty rare in the UK, although not old I suppose. made an arcade of sorts in a spare room. Main console was the Dreamcast, which was pretty cool.
I dropped games mostly then, when I built my first PC with winXP to do music. Then kids came along so...

Recently re-built a machine for the kids and realised it could play half decent titles. So I've been playing the very occasional game of COD or is it CS-GO, yeah CS-GO and Deus-Ex mankind something or other. and half-life 2 which is hilariously good.
Those are all on linux Ubuntu via steam and work really well.

never really got into phone games, bit of fruit ninja back in the day.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:50 pm

I don't play much of anything any more but unfathomable desires led me back to Pro Pinball Timeshock. I loved it as a kid because he was so close to the real thing, and I only tasted the real thing once because pinball machines weren't easy to be found around me. Now with the help of archive.org and good ol' wine Timeshock is back and whenever I want to throw heavy balls around with my keyboard (!) I know where to look for.