Something to celebrate? Do it here!

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
vic
Godot

Something to celebrate? Do it here!

Unread post by vic » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:32 am

I want to celebrate that we finally got the new fiber optic internet connected. It only took two years from we signed the contract. Yay!

And a lot more possibilities to stream TV. :D
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: Something to celebrate? Do it here!

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:52 am

Lucky bastards! :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:20 pm

fibre what-now ? :D

nice one, still rocking the same speeds we had 10 years ago in France, Fibre is operational in a couple villages over, but not here :/
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Beer on me tonight because I got 30 (highest mark) on my last exam.

Note that "beer on me" means I am just drinking a Stella while watching the Euroleague on my sofa.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Congrats on the fibers. We are still on old school DSL. But waiting two years, damn!

Congrats also to Manu on his exam results!

We really should make a lockdown meeting when we all have time using some of those nifty services and celebrate with real beer (or whatever you want) on screen. :)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:05 am

As proxy we celebrate the new year with new isos from Siduction.

https://isobuilds.siduction.org/

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:50 pm

^ They offer every DE available, how is that? I thought they retired at least Gnome and LXDE but cool.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:22 pm

I got new running shoes today at a post-Xmas clearance sale. Why celebrate that? Well, because there's no fucking sizing standardization in the industry (pidsley knows what I'm talking about), so I finally found a pair that fits just right (I need snug narrow heel section with a wide toe-box), offers decent stability and toe-off, and doesn't come with a whole inch and a half of feedback-robbing spongey foam in the midsole like every modern shoe these days. Downside is that they came in a loud Dunkin Donuts colourway, but maybe that'll end up improving my time since I'll inevitably up my pace so that nobody will be able to make out that it's me wearing those.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:47 am

^ lol.
congrats :D

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:26 pm

^^ Of course you know that if those shoes were on clearance, they are probably discontinued and whatever they replaced them with won't fit you. If they had more than one pair, I'd buy another now while you still can.

Not really a celebration, more like an event I guess. I euthanized my last cat right before the new year. I now have no cats for the first time in almost 40 years. It's a little weird; I keep looking over at where their bed used to be. But it's nice not to worry about old sick cats or waking up to vomit on the floor or furniture in random places.

Still have one dog, and no plans to get any more animals.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:51 am

Aww pidsley - I know what you mean about missing them - we moved back with no cats and I remember when they used to run about on the top levels of beams and roof timbers here. While the Dog patrolled underneath and did it's thing half the night. Although also - yes it's nice that no gross stuff awaits us in the mornings now.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:52 am

I'm just about to send a mail/ticket reply to Dr fucking Stallman lecturing him about the GNU mailing system contravening RFC 2822 (page 18/19) sending TWO CC fields.
made my day at least :D

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:45 pm

^ On that RMS note. Recently he's been at the centre of heated discussions on the Emacs development mailing list. I am not following everything, but on the surface it looks like the old "I've been using Emacs for 241 years and I speak in Elisp to my bearded friends, but why are you changing defaults?". Something like that.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:37 am

well, they changed the vim defaults and I am still not happy. There is a conf file that we d/l as part of the provisioning process here.
well this RFC has been around for 20 years, and two CC headers is just silly. but adding more that one address in the To: field is also an RFC no-no, but still gets done.

Something to celebrate is that I will never (apart from my own email mess) have to fix/install/advise/look at another fucking mail server with this new job!

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47 am

wuxmedia wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:37 am
well, they changed the vim defaults and I am still not happy. There is a conf file that we d/l as part of the provisioning process here.
well this RFC has been around for 20 years, and two CC headers is just silly. but adding more that one address in the To: field is also an RFC no-no, but still gets done.
I see what you mean, but in Emacs everything can be adapted to your preferences with Emacs Lisp. The old guard complaining about defaults changing why they know what to do about it if they want (and they can, because Emacs lets you do it) is a bit silly to me.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:25 am

2021-01-07_08-25.png

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 pm

Ok, it is hard times, but I still want to celebrate some banal shit to fight back at all negative shit surrounding us right now. I celebrate that spring has arrived, it is warmer now, and yes it is a grey weather day outside today, but that means that there is time to N´flix or other pointless distractions on the web inside. And no work for me next week, Easter holiday for me. Yey! So it will be time to relax, chill with some tv series of films. Hopefully there will be a couple of days with sunny nice weather when I can go outside. Maybe even rake some old dead grass and leafs. Order a nice takeaway meal. Read a cool book, got several on my waiting list here at home. In short, just enjoy the shitty situation as best as I can.

If you just can not stand positive vibes like this right now, I do not blame you. Instead, head over to the rant section and release yourself! You will feel much better after letting off some steam. Thank you, and have a nice weekend. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:08 pm

Today was also sunny and I had a run though this time my left leg had some aches. Right now I still can feel the pain but I will celebrate nevertheless. It is spring indeed, finally. I already washed and prepared my bike. I had to clean the disc brakes and tomorrow it will get pumped up and then the season can begin for me. Time to ride in the mountains again.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:05 pm

Nice, all our dang bikes are still in the UK. yes it may be possible to get there and back. too many variables though (covid tests either side. then once we are there, then making sure we don't get our passport stamped (90 days maximum or something then) despite us being under the withdrawal agreeement.
probably for the best as I would make a tour of all the morons who voted 'leave' and I'd have a little word with them..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:06 pm

celebrate though! yeah.. I have some time off! the bathroom is 1/2 done - doesn't stink any more at least YAY!