Thanks for inviting me to the Q

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
Verändert
Lawfighter

Thanks for inviting me to the Q

Unread post by Verändert » Fri May 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi, I'm from Germany, from the french/swiss border. I usually am a Manjaro man, but i need something really lightweight for my laptop. I used Fuduntu just a few weeks until it went EOL. Homeless as i was i stumbled over LinuxBBQ and liked its guts. It's fast (even the Cinnamon version that i use ! It uses around 200MB with Dropbox running. I am impressed) and i can adjust it to my likings without having to carry around too much weight. LinuxBBQ even is astethically pleasing while remaining leightweitht (did i mention it uses but 200MB including Dropbox and Cinnamon ?). I guess i'll stay here.

Thanks for this outstandig software to the devs.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Thanks for inviting me to the Q

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri May 10, 2013 8:09 pm

welcome to the BBQ have a good grill - yum cinnamon on the barbie 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Fri May 10, 2013 8:15 pm

My daughter likes the colours so i absolutely had to install cinnamon. She is 3 years old and otherwise would scream until midnight. Please never, ever make an edition in pink.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri May 10, 2013 9:07 pm

Herzhaft Willkommen zum Grillstüble!

Genau solche Leute wie Dich können wir gut gebrauchen: mit Stil und großem Hunger. Viel Spaß in der grauen Geheimratsecke des Stinkernetz :)

Und einen Schmatzer an die Kleine: no pink bits at the Q :)
..gnutella..

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Fri May 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Someone that names a linux distro "Trollinger" (some sort of wine that's usually used to defrost cars in winter) is talking about style. I like it here. As long as i can stick with my Spätburgunder.

What do i have to do to get rid of my virgin-status ? Bribe someone with Merguez ?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri May 10, 2013 11:56 pm

@ver-rendert: Sleep yourself up the post-ladder (or let us know what custom status you'd like to have, though that's less fun) :)

BTW it's Trollinger, but hey: you can name the next release! What about 'Anusbonus'? :D
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat May 11, 2013 12:16 am

Servus Verändert!

Cinnamon is a secret spice for the Brotbällchen in paella. Yummy.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat May 11, 2013 3:55 am

welcome ... bbq is a family affair

Work hard; Complain less

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Sat May 11, 2013 1:44 pm

I am absolutely flattered, guys. No i just have to get into this fu++++king brightness control and then i'm all set.

What about "pervert peeper" for a hawaii-desktop ?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat May 11, 2013 1:58 pm

brightness control: try GRUB kernel boot parameter

acpi_osi=linux
..gnutella..

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Sat May 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Thanks. I had that already. Just for the records: I needed this as well as "acpi_backlight=vendor".

Working now. I like it.

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Since this is the general talk, i might as well abuse my own thread: LinuxBBQ is really light on ressources (i probably already mentioned that even the cinnamon edition stays around 200MB with lots of stuff like Dropbox). But when i fire up good ol' Fire... Iceweasel, it adds a whopping 180MB. Now we all know the rest pretty much sucks (Chromium is free, but free spyware still stays spyware and Midori is great if you want to sleep in front of your PC waiting for that page to load). Have you taken a look at QupZilla though ? It's lightweight, rather fast and my browser of choice. Heck, it's even in the Debian repos.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat May 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Verändert -- the basic BBQ philosophy is to provide apps that work for most people, and then to allow the user to customize with his or her favorites. Iceweasel works -- and in the grand scheme of things where most people have at least 1G memory, another 180M really isn't that much. If you like QupZilla better, you are free to remove Iceweasel and install QupZilla -- as you point out, it's a quick apt-get remove and install. There are many other lightweight webkit browsers. No matter which browser is selected as the default, someone somewhere will be unhappy with the choice -- that's why we encourage people to roast their own...

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat May 11, 2013 9:42 pm

What pidsley said. The default browser at the BBQ is actually Roaster, but Iceape/Iceweasel is added to make sure that the "general user" can browse in a trusted and well-tested application. netsurf, arora, uzbl, xxxterm, conkeror, xlinks, w3m, there's a bunch of browsers to pick from. Roast your own collection of apps, qupzilla unfortunately relies quite heavily on the qt-packages that are usually not the first choice in gtk environments (which the BBQ clearly is, opposed to siduction/aptosid). Double-sided sword :)
..gnutella..

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Sun May 12, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks for the heads-up. I thought the roaster browser was text-only.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun May 12, 2013 12:59 pm

hey Verandert, welcome to the BBQ :)
Roaster is indeed not text-only, but very minimal nonetheless. in some unforseeable future it might get expanded (as mr bacon sees fit :)

i like anusbonus for a name, but pervert-peeper sounds great too. anything so distrowatch will never start taking us seriously :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Verändert
Lawfighter

Unread post by Verändert » Mon May 13, 2013 6:14 am

Another monday another hopefully not that stupid question: I seem to be unable to use systemd the way i'm used to. I need to run mysql & ssh from time to time. So i installed them and wanted to just use
OFFTOPIC :
sudo systemctl disable mysql.service
to turn them off. I can stop them, but if i try to turn them off, my computer keeps yelling at me:
OFFTOPIC :
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
I was unable to persuade him by holding crispy bacon in front of the cam. Any idea would be greatly apreciated.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon May 13, 2013 6:33 am

I do not care so much if you put the question into the right section but it would be better in the support area where people that use systemd can see it and help you. ;) I am of no use for systemd.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon May 13, 2013 8:58 am

ivo is right, best to ask your question in the right section so it gets better exposure. however, if you have already tried the crispy bacon thing, i doubt you're ever going to fix it ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 am

i'm more than likely wrong, but can't a 'old style' -
sudo service **** status/stop etc be run as well, or has sysV been totally purged on trollinger?
otherwise you need to put the crispy bacon into the card reader 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"