Here I am

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
slartie
Grump

Here I am

Unread post by slartie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:53 pm

This intro is basically a copy-paste from another forum. Edited to reflect the current reality in which I reside.

Back in 1994 my college professor and school sysadmin told me about something new and amazing he had found on the so-called Internet. He was and still is a Unix fan (System V) and longed for a Unix like system he could use on his PC. Enter GNU/Linux.

From the moment I was introduced to the convoluted install process of Slackware in the year when the Linux kernel was still in its version 1.1.x days, I was hooked. Not so much on Slackware, but the open source software scene in general.

I switched to RedHat as soon as it became stable enough. I just never got chummy with 'ol Slack. I kept an eye on Debian, and in 1998 I switched. Hamm had just been released and everything was smooth sailing (well it was considered smooth sailing to still rebuild a lot of stuff from sources back then, sshhh!).

Up until that point I had been doing all kinds of geeky things. Running my own BBS for 6-7 years, hammer away on Pascal code and making my own music in the MOD, S3M and XM formats.

Not long ago, I wanted to spice things up a little. Debian is fine, but I really wanted a more lightweight distro, rather than having to shave off a lot of stuff from a fresh Debian install. It had to be Debian based. Sure, I've tried many of the others on spare hardware, but Debian has always felt like home. Crunchbang showed up and I decided to give it a go. I've been using it for a few months, but the general chatter on the forums about adding even more to the distro just made my stomach turn, so now I'm back on Debian and will start the grill on some spare hardware and see if I can find something that fits.

I do most of my work from a series of terminals, so tmux, ssh, urxvt, cmus, emacs, mc, wget and many other tools in that vein is where I feel the most comfortable. Everything wrapped in the amazing i3wm of course.

I will try to check in on the forum, but I tend to hang out on IRC.

If you want more ranting, you can check out http://slartie.com/ .. It's basically me ranting at length, weekly.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Here I am

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Hey hey,

the intro sounds good to me...

Guys, what do you think? Welcome? :D

Of course, warmly welcome to the hot side! Judging from your intro, I'd say you need some CLIt (the release, of course)
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:29 pm

welcome to the bbq slartie, happy roasting:)

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:56 pm

hey slartie, yep, recognize you / intro from another forum. Welcome! Glad you found the bbq. You should fit right in here. We also have a great wiki here that accepts contributions.

We also have our irc #linuxbbq

Enjoy the buffet.

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Anyone who thinks distros should still fit on a CD is OK with me :)

Welcome to the BBQ.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:54 pm

I hereby declare, after reading the newsletter at slartie, that
Slartie is the official party newsletter of LinuxBBQ
means: can't get any closer of what the BBQ philosophy is :) Worth reading indeed.
..gnutella..

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Yeah I'm a bit of a pedantic bitter cynic when it comes to my OS. More so in later years.

I'm glad you enjoy reading my ranting :) There's a new series of rants every week. I even joined the 21st century and added something called a subscription box. Some newfangled thingamajig.

I've been poking around on the forums for a few hours, shifted piles of papers with stick figures drawn on them and moved moldy coffee mugs. From what I've gathered so far, this place ain't half bad :)

Oh and with regards to the newsletter and the guides for that matter; I always welcome ideas for topics. I can get annoyed about most things open-source.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:27 pm

^ Well, then my personal favourite: a rant about 'Linux distribution rankings' (like the distrobiach list) or the horde of Ubuntu Remixes ("based on the LTS!!!11") that typically come with a dock (Must. Have. Bouncy. Icons.) and Faenza icon theme :D

(DW is our pet hate here, the showcase of Remastersys/SuSE Studio "DISTROS" that - under magical circumstances - rank on the top spots, while stuff like Raspbian and Bedrock are on the waiting list)

References:
http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?titl ... a_question
http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Distrowatch
..gnutella..

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:41 pm

DW is definitely on the To-Rant list.

HERE!!! have some arbitrary numbers based on clicks from us to let you know which distro is the awesome-est in dah woooorld.

*spontaneously combusts*

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:54 pm

hey welcome indeed! anybody who uses predominantly <pre> formatting on their site and writes their html by hand is more than alright be me.
oh -and- writes .mods wow.
where's rhow?
I spent many an hour on Protracker 2.3. on the amiga 500
anyway grab something that tastes good and enjoy
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 pm

great stuff there slartie. Looking forward to reading more. And fuck DW. They're just there to herd the sheep, the sheep that think they aren't sheep. They're probably worse than the other sheep, they know enough to wander, only across the street, too afraid to see what is over the hill.

Work hard; Complain less

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:39 pm

dkeg wrote:great stuff there slartie. Looking forward to reading more. And fuck DW. They're just there to herd the sheep, the sheep that think they aren't sheep. They're probably worse than the other sheep, they know enough to wander, only across the street, too afraid to see what is over the hill.
and sheep would, naturally, be afraid of a BBQ 8), mmm Lam-burgers anyone?

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:12 pm

I've always liked the simple things in life. you know .. basic HTML, beer, 4 channel music and a sensible terminal.

My HTML skills have been so-so for most of my online life, so I've always favored the barebones approach to any web work I do. Simple but functional. And going with a fixed width font just speaks to my 80x25 genes :)

I haven't done any music in years and years. Trackers are great, but when you don't work on it every day the skills kinda go the way of the dodo. I still listen to tracker music daily. There's just something about that type of music...

Currently writing:
- RANT: social networks
- RANT: DW
- Guide: Mutt

Per the baconators request, I will be doing several emacs guides as well. I'm by no means an emacs guru, but I get by. And I'll gladly share what little I know with everybody else.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:49 pm

glad to read it.
If you would like to hear what i was up too, some of it is on soundcloud - actually only the first one is a pure .mod written (though i remixed/remastered it in jeskola BUZZ) some of the others are pure BUZZ. some are scratching efforts.

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Excellent. I'll check it out now.

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:12 pm

B-Team, SaDown, Mournfull-screams ... shit son .. MOAR!

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:04 pm

thanks. Not sure what i have anymore. 8(
I used to have the original IDE HDD (from the A1200) which i used in a PC with UAE, now that was sweet native(ish) PT2.3
will post a few more to sounclod
i just realised i used a temp/fake email, that i can't remember any more! oh well

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 am

Welcome to the roasters. We have no cookies but we have plenty of meat.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 am

well Mr Slart, seems you've made yourself popular here within minutes! good job :)
we can shake hands when you finish your distrowatch-rant, as i wrote the one on our Wiki.
i also noticed wux called me because of your tracker-music. i use Renoise myself, which is a modern tracker. not open source at all, but still the best thing around when it comes to tracker-based music, imo. these guys are really cool. but who cares about some half-assed sales-pitch when you can also listen to music? in case you are interested, my soundcloud is here: http://soundcloud.com/rhowaldt

so, seems we have enough to talk about, but let me first give you a heartfelt welcome to the BBQ. seems you are very much in the right place :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Love your newsletter, already on No.3.
Fuck distrowatch, and any distro that cannot fit onto a cdrom is as bloated as its creator. (And "you know who" does have a facebook page guys) :D
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol