All hail the BACONATOR ! :P

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
bizcuit
Gangbanger

All hail the BACONATOR ! :P

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:25 am

Just checking in @ the grill.

Plus you know I'm going to babble, as is my wont.

Still impressed with Trollinger ... and always been impressed with Machinebacon's nix skillz. Thing is almost unbreakable ... even for me ! How did you childproof Sid MB !?!?!?

That said ... know I should've went with the no-X version. Trollinger is kickazz ... for me still too busy, too much stuff packed into it. Though plenty of awesomeness ... Think the gtk3 bug haz bitten me, seen it mentioned in the grill forum . The Trollinger install is still limping along despite that ... Which is pretty friggin amazing. Could also have been user error ( aka: I probably screwed up ... sighs.)

Is the no-X version going to be updated or a new base similar to it put out ( has been) ? Should've bitten the bullet and installed that grill option from the beginning. Was trying to be lazy + save time + Machines creation is one of the few distro's I tried that would install on this new laptop. SEVERAL others hung/fell flat on their faces. Trollinger didn't just install ... installed like a champ ! Like a boss ! :D

But if had gone with no-X ... then I'dve missed out on the Trollinger experience ... Ok just giving some well deserved Nix BBQ fanboiism and babbling all over the place as usual. I want something simpler end of the day, preferably only what I want ... only how/etc.

Either way admire and respect Machine + the grill.

VLLBBQ! :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: All hail the BACONATOR ! :P

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks Bizi, love your babblings sometimes :D

there are actually 2.5 ways to roastyourown:
Eins) start with no-X and add the X server and all the unix goodness like gtk3 and qt4 on top. For this there's Boner/Virgin and Clit (I'd personally even take Clit rather than Boner/Virgin, as it's a tad newer and contains some cool CLI shit, you just have to make some changes to the .profile file after installation)
Zwei) start with Bloat. Saves you the hassle, because this is already including the X server and then starts a package selector after install. As for now, it's *the* roastyourown release. Definitely the option to go.

Have fun :)
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks Machine ...

Clit or Boner/virgin( maybe both) it shall be. Hats off to you ... hope life is going well ... dear repatriot and fellow nixer. Probably said this on the original forum Noob/whatever it's called. First heard about you coming out with a Sid/Debian distro ... Though omg ... not another one !

I stand corrected MB ... Judging from Trollinger believe you've come out with some kickbutt innovations and creative config'ing + customization ! Dang you ... ya turned me into a nix bbq fanboi ! Ahhhhhhh ! :( Hats off to you either way.

Good vibes n wishes MB and fellow nixers here. Babbler exit ... stage right > :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:01 am

Actually I wanted to turn you to an LXDE fanboi. It really deserves more love (and a better visual design by default)
Glad you like it. And when we Debian for breakfast, there'll be something different for lunch. Stay tuned ;)

All my best wishes to you over the pond, sounds like you have got a bit more free time for nixing :)
..gnutella..

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:56 am

machinebacon wrote:Actually I wanted to turn you to an LXDE fanboi.
you won me over:) tried lxde long before the bbq, and could not stand it, but with your Ob setup, I just went :))

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:03 am

agreed about lxde - although I am still reluctant to have it as a main DE. bacons mix has come closest
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:52 am

Awwww shucks ... <bizcuit blushes> ;)

Dang it you did that too ! Well @ least showed me it isn't a total pile of crap, lol. Am dorking around w xfce4 atm and yep, time on hands. How do you do that Machine !? Lmao ... sometimes think you have psychic tendencies. You used to bust me lurking in the #! forum. CBiz ... I know you're still here, come out and babble some more. :P

Realize it's called intelligence( deductive reasoning). Time on hands = accident @ work. Piece of pipe got me ... Wasn't able to dodge. Ended up lower leg cut 2 bone + a broken bone in foot. Yay .... who doesn't love stitches n crutches ?! No worries will be walking again shortly. Stitches out ... bone healing well/etc. Could've been MUCH worse. Been off for almost 2-mnths. Back to the mines soon though. DAMMIT !

Like any of us gnu/nix addicts, spare time on hands meant start dorking around with Linux. Anyway thanks for the kind words. If ever in China will try to look ya up my friend. Though they'd probably shoot me in the PRC ... So it'd be a hair raising visit. Hmmmm ... could try getting all super spy on their azzes. Wear a disguise, you know one of those pair of glasses w the big plastic nose n mustache. ;)

Vllbbq!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:25 am

And when we Debian for breakfast, there'll be something different for lunch. Stay tuned ;)
nobody got triggered by this little sentence? not his first hint-drop but just got inclined to quote it now... time to speculate you fuckers.

ohai bizcuit, good to see your keyboard still hasn't grown tired of your endless thumping ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:07 am

^ Nice to see everyone's favorite nix Dawg is still alive and kicking. The keyboard is sick of me ... poor thing. :P

Did catch that ... didn't know what to make of it. Machine ( + associates ?) are venturing into other bases ? Fedora ... xyz base ... hiz own independent spin ? Decided to adopt a "wait and see" attitude on the matter. Sure it'll be tasty nix ( summin else ?) goodness and hope whatever it is ... is a success for J.

***GROUP HUG*** n gone. :D

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:03 pm

caught it, staying tuned;)

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:05 pm

biz, great to read your ramblings this gloomy Sunday morning.

are we talking non Debian? staying tuned. who knows what MB may fire up

Work hard; Complain less

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks Dkeg. :)

No worries ... gloomy cause weather or just becuz Sundays ( end of weekend) tend to suck ? Ahhh either way hope things clear up for you fellow nixer. What ... I'm an oyster slurper !?~?? Hmmmm ... then maybe should try Bbq Oyster too. :P Nah ... don't want to overload servers. Will try to choose bbq spin wisely. NoX is what am leaning towards, although as Rhow will tell ya, tmux is clearly bloat. ;)

Guessing all the spins here are good regardless. Shutting it now ... (((Good vibes))) atcha.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:38 am

Bringing this one back up because there's a few questions that I have regarding this entire business:

LinuxBBQ == Taking Debian Prebuilts and Making them Your own, and creating an image off of them?

I was under the impression at first that you guys just churned out a lot of releases, which you do, but you seem to promote the idea to take a minimalistic (not in visual design, but actual packages included) and then add whatever on top of that. Am I correct that this is what you're trying to provide?

The idea of moving beyond Debian is certainly worth hanging around for. I look forward to whatever else you may come up with. I like some of the spins I've seen already. I'll probably keep doing things the way that I do them, but I do like the way that you seem to push what I'd call "better" options towards those who might not see them otherwise (Ceni, Liquorix, etc.)

I won't pretend that I totally understand all of what you guys are trying to do, but at least you didn't just throw out another single distro with a cool name and nothing of substance beyond that. I just am not exactly sure what's expected out of the users. Are we here to simply enjoy the fruits of your efforts? Really, what I'm asking is, "What can I do for YOU?"
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:35 am

my take, there's a few things we are here for, comradery, similar tastes, and being a part of something we believe in. The product is only part of the draw, but is something we all feel is worth the effort of supporting and contributing too, whether that be in forum or irc support, wiki support and contributions, contributing art such as wallpaper, theme hacks, configs, etc, or real haavy stuff like scripts, or sometimes just ideas. You are correct that the idea here, again, the way I see it, is to prove that you don't need just another rehashed spin full of everything under the sun.
The idea is to give just the basics, and let the user go from there, and MB has delivered an assortment of starting points, from spins for the more motivated or advanced users, to more full featured spins like Enough, Elitist, or Mother, to dedicated spins for students like Stud and Latex.
So you ask, what can you do? I can't really answer that, but being an active, positive, contributing member of the community offering feedback, support, ideas, and rantings is my take on what MB would be looking for. I don't think he is specifically looking for a return, I believe having a solid group of bbq'ers is good payback.

Work hard; Complain less

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:28 am

Good question DebianJoe, great answer dkeg.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 am

everything dkeg said. we all need people to talk to, people who crack the occasional joke, people who provide us with new ideas and musics and whatnot. so even if you are just a nice community member, that is fine. just don't be a bitchy penisface and we are happy already. but if, aside from that, you have SKILLZ that you feel could be of use (in whatever form or function), don't hesitate to post something to the forum about them. maybe you made a wallpaper, a script, maybe you figured something out and decided to write a how-to on it, maybe you enjoy editing Wikis... who knows? just do what you can and enjoy the meat :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks Joe and Drew for your comments.
What you can do for the grill? Roast your own distro. Bring in ideas. Tell us your experiences with what works and what doesn't. Be proud of how you borked your system. We all learn from failures and mistakes. I absolutely love the atmo here, the dirty talk, the 'bacco-spitting' mentality (as a fellow user said), and the way how people treat each other. No fake cookies, no self-indulgent moderators, no closing of threads, no mutual analingus.
Of course I am not looking for anything in return, except that people don't bitch around and always blame others on what they fuck up. But you already know that.

:)

Edit: What rhosenwald said. I'm always happy to include user-provided scripts or themes, artworks, whatever into new releases, so be brave and get famous :D
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Well, currently I'm wrapped up on building Linux from source...which I guess is like raising the cattle that I will then make a knife out of some rock, slaughter those bovine, and grill them. I don't think you can Roast Your Own any harder than that.

On the other hand, I have full intentions of blaming you for everything that goes wrong. gcc doesn't want to compile fast enough for me...blame Machine Bacon. Typo in my make flags..."Damn you Baconator!"

I'll poke around and see what I can help with. Obviously, if you want anything of mine that's been written previously (making a Frame-buffer build with background images and manual tiling, building Sid from a netinstall, etc.) then they're yours. Just tell me what you guys would be interested in me working on or documenting. I'm a fucking mad scientist, so I'm ALWAYS working on something.
Thanks BASIC

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:19 pm

@DJ: if you have written up tutorials on those subjects, i'd be happy to read through them and see whether we want to have them on the Wiki. knowledge is power!

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:37 pm

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 54#p310554
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 24#p319124

Most people here have already seen these, but if you'd like a technically correct rewrite, I could do that. Plus, after doing the FB thing the first time, I got a LOT better at getting everything to work like I wanted it to.

Edit: Sorry Bizkit, I know that I've totally pulled your topic into a majorly off-topic discussion. My mistake bro. Here let's fix that:

All hail the Baconator! VLL# May you have many fat babies, and not run into general compilation errors!
Thanks BASIC