I dediacte this thread to ...

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
missinglink
Rawdog

I dediacte this thread to ...

Unread post by missinglink » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Just noted MB has continued spinning the release-o-matic rotisserie.
Which sent me looking for kernel info. Waded through the release pages and forum posts till I realized I was in the deep end of the pool.
Then I remembered the wiki. Wow, releases, right here. Each one I checked has kernel and tons of other detail.
Take a look at what Rhowaldt, Pidsley, DebianJoe et al have been doing for us recently.
So I wanted to take a moment to dediacte this thread to the guys.

Edit: I'll be afk as I dediacte most of the next hour at the cinema.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: I dediacte this thread to ...

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 am

Thanks for the balsam :D Good to know it wasn't just wasted time and energy :)
Glad to have these colleagues and this community :)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:02 am

thanks for the dediaction missinglink, appreciated, and i am happy to do it :)
also thanks for pointing my attention back to 'Recent Changes'. i was getting so used to managing the Wiki on my own, i stopped looking there. so i had no idea Pidsley had been editing the Wiki, and of course he never tells, silent assassin as he is, making fast and accurate edits then moving away in the shadows again ;) - thanks Pidsley, i am happy with any help!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Branzila143

Unread post by Branzila143 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:11 pm

This morning i walked into the room and wondered why the hell my laptop sounded like a vacuum cleaner, only to discover she was chilling on the keyboard again. the terminal was filled with weird characters, and i had to close it down to be able to continue doing anything. then my browser crashed, and my system refused to reboot. i pulled the plug, reinserted it, and booted up. i still haven't set up the getty-thingy to auto-start X, so as always i did this manually. however, X refused to start up, citing a lack of diskspace. so i did a 'df' and got this:

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:29 pm

^ damn bot stealing my words. uhm, tried banning the bastard but get a "general error". here's the user profile for easier clicks: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/memberlist.php? ... file&u=916
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:32 pm

rho, you can go to the ACP and delete/ban the user and keep or delete posts. In this case, because we answer on a bot, I keep the post but remove the user.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:09 pm

^ good point. yeah, i seem to be able to do it through the ACP, just not directly through "Administrate User" or something. oh well, doesnt happen often enough to change that shit :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:28 pm

damn busted ass forum. at least the wiki works as advertised...
might even add to it myself...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 pm

^ The wiki is actually quite out of date, especially the Releases section. Roald has been too busy knitting hats and smoking weed, and I am just too lazy.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:01 pm

^ hahaha, haven't crocheted a thing in ages! did make a low bookcase with fairylights in the back and painted some floorboards. time to cross over to the more manly hobby's. that's what i get from hanging with you lot.

aside from that, i'm really more concerned with selling my house and moving to Hong Kong than trying to keep up with the insane pace of releases around here :)

another good sidenote is that i actually dont know that much about Linux-related stuff, so something like 75% of the Wiki is shit i dont really understand but didnt have an article so i plucked some information from the web so we at least had *something*. this is because i hate dead links. so if any of that stuff happens to go out of date for whatever reason, i'm probably not the best person to update it. basically, it would be wonderful if more people decided to keep the Wiki up-to-date by adding/revising some stuff over there :)

on top of all that, i'm lazy like pids.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:41 am

I think, we should try to distribute the task of updating specific sections of the wiki to the people who are willing to help.

I for one am in. Maybe we should create a thread asking who are willing to participate ?
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:44 pm

^ Those who can, do. Those that can't, do not.
you may have noticed, it was I who added the install extra bit to the wiki. It caught me out a bit, so I paid it forward.
I think this wiki should have only mostly BBQ knowledge and the odd how to.
I was going to update the releases, so basically c/p the release notes and link back to the forum. Maybe a scrot.
Still go ahead and make a thread if you like.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:29 am

rhowaldt wrote:another good sidenote is that i actually dont know that much about Linux-related stuff, so something like 75% of the Wiki is shit i dont really understand but didnt have an article so i plucked some information from the web so we at least had *something*.
This! Even though I haven't the slightest clue what I am doing, I wouldn't mind chipping in a thing or two into the wiki, if not just amalgamating information I can scour across Reddit/gentoo-wiki/archwiki/etc. One of these days we should maybe make a wish-list of pages that could be worked-on/created and we could have a go at some of them ;)
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 am

^ That was sort of my point, the archwiki is already pretty good :)
I would think users first port of call would be a search page. Leaving the wiki to then be a more bbq specific thing. rather than having bits and pieces.

Thats just my thoughts, mostly let's not spend a ton of time replicating the entire arch wiki.
Perhaps more examples of install scripts and the cool scripts the BBQ has.
And rotten meat, plus user bio's :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:15 am

^ yeah, agree. the only reason i made all those articles was because they were linked to, and i can't stand dead links. so what i entirely possible is to simply remove all the links to articles that have been covered better and more thorough on the Arch Wiki, and then remove the BBQ-wiki page.
i think most of the stuff about "first time" etc are useful because many of them are written in a distinct style that is a bit less technical than the Arch Wiki, but other than that, a lot can reasonably go i think...

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:58 am

Sure - no need to get so defensive :P
rather than shutting everyone up (I seem to be in a bolshy mood today) I'll make a thread with Wiki suggestions.
need to update the website main page a bit too.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:42 pm

wuxmedia wrote:^ That was sort of my point, the archwiki is already pretty good :)
I would think users first port of call would be a search page. Leaving the wiki to then be a more bbq specific thing. rather than having bits and pieces.

Thats just my thoughts, mostly let's not spend a ton of time replicating the entire arch wiki.
Perhaps more examples of install scripts and the cool scripts the BBQ has.
And rotten meat, plus user bio's :)
Yep.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:26 pm

@wux Sounds like a Good Idea to me :) So trouble shooting, release notes, scripts and howto's ...
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:15 pm

yeah, except I'd say "trouble shooting" is best done in the forums :)