Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:25 pm

Ulzana's Raid
I'm very ignorant when it comes to Westerns. I know something about spaghetti-westerns, but that's it. I was pointed to this one by a critic I really admire, and wow. They call it revisionist, I simply call it great film. Imagine the allegory of Apocalyspe Now transplanted into USA soil. Different styles, not so different dynamics. Really good stuff.

siklopz
Window Manager

Unread post by siklopz » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:10 pm

i have yet to make it all the way through the list, so i hope i'm not repeating anything. i'll be watching some of your suggestions for months. thanks.

i enjoyed The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, but i thought A Fist Full of Dollars was better. maybe it's because i'm such a huge kurosawa fan...

Delicatessen was made by the same French group that hatched Amelie, but was far better, IMO. if you like it, you might also check out City of Lost Children.

City of God covers the rise of the favela, in Rio de Janeiro, following the lives of two individuals. one grows up to lead a major drug gang, while the other is the photographer who documents it all.

Animal Crackers was one of my favorite Marx Brothers flicks. Harpo was always my favorite.

Pi was my favorite by Darren Aronofsky. if you want an insane trip, try that one.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:34 pm

siklopz wrote: i enjoyed The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, but i thought A Fist Full of Dollars was better. maybe it's because i'm such a huge kurosawa fan...
For me nothing tops the original Kurosawa version.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:01 pm

^ Same here.

siklopz
Window Manager

Unread post by siklopz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:54 pm

^,^^ agreed

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:57 pm

"Delicatessen was made by the same French group that hatched Amelie, but was far better, IMO. if you like it, you might also check out City of Lost Children."
Those Frenchies eh? yeah - those are good films.... L'Australian...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:49 am

wait, i missed this somewhere. better than Amelie, you say? now i gotta see that. Amelie is one of the greatest films i have ever seen. mind you, i also got hooked on Yann Tiersen's wonderful soundtrack for it so Delicatessen has a lot to fight against. But am now checking out soundtrack and it sounds promising indeed.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:00 pm

City of Lost Children, great picture. Speaking of Kurosawa, my wife and I were just talking last night about having gone to see Ran (1985) at the same time (before we met) at the local art-house cinema. That movie was fantastic on the big screen. Awesome use of color.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:50 pm

rhowaldt wrote:wait, i missed this somewhere. better than Amelie, you say? now i gotta see that. Amelie is one of the greatest films i have ever seen. mind you, i also got hooked on Yann Tiersen's wonderful soundtrack for it so Delicatessen has a lot to fight against. But am now checking out soundtrack and it sounds promising indeed.
Maybe because I saw Delicatessen first but I already told that I never liked or maybe understood Amelie. Delicatessen is fantastic.

Of course this piece of ... is also from Jeunet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118583/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:02 pm

saw the Coen Brothers' Hail Caesar just now. It was as unsatisfying as Coen Brothers films can be, leaving you at the end with a feeling of "uhm, what was the point of this story?". Characters and acting are great, I think. Film itself didn't really "grab" me.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:36 pm

^^ Totally with you on that.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:01 pm

How to Lose Friends And Alienate People
Should've been titled: How to Annoy Viewers with Everything That Is Wrong in a Romantic Comedy.

Love Is Not a Game But a Joke
Watch this instead: cheerful, delicate, tender and less predictable.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:10 pm

I saw the trailer for Hail Caesar in the cinema and have no intention to watch it.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:12 pm

^ I think I'll watch it just because of the Coens. I read well about it, although I'm keeping expectations low.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Parker
Once again, I failed into the imfamous trap: trusting a film critic I didn't know before the review. This is not "superb", as he writes. It begins with a good staged sequence and then drops everything leaving you yawning.

siklopz
Window Manager

Unread post by siklopz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:31 pm

i just watched one of my favorite romantic comedies again, Wristcutters, a Love Story. you might try that one. i originally watched it for Tom Waits, but found Gogol Bordello inside.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:34 am

^ yeah, i liked that one a lot as well.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:07 am

Wild Card
Forget Crank and its sequel, forget Guy Ritchie and Stallone, forget remakes and (sadly) forget Carpenter: this is the best Statham I've ever seen.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:26 pm

Death Race 2
You know I got nothing againts DTVs, but this sucks in almost every possible way.

MacGruber
I know nothing about Will Forte, but "some guy" told me this was cool and clever, like when Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg were cool and clever. I rarely smiled, never laughed, so I guess it fails as a comedy and a parody to my grumpy eyes.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:12 pm

The Magdalene Sisters
Can't believe I hadn't catched this one yet. Lovely, with an intimacy that digs right into your heart. Peter Mullan avoids showmanship and just goes for the feelings. What a film.