Re: Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri May 05, 2023 9:01 pm

^ Nice, thanks for the tip.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:03 pm

Georgia
Ulu Grosbard is such an underrated director. Now, if you ask me to single out one film among his works I'll have to pick this one, because as much as I like what he did with De Niro, I simply cannot resist a family breaking apart and trying to make sense of the pieces left. Pair Georgia with Rachel Getting Married and you'll probably understand more about myself than listening to me hardly talking while sitting at a pub with a pint of lager beer and a bag of salt and vinegar chips.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:19 pm

Ludwig
You will need four hours to get through this, but Visconti deserves your attention. What a director.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:31 pm

Nope
Considering my lost hope for the current state of cinema, I am always glad when something is able to move me, more so when the opinions about it are either overtly enthusiastic or incredibly insulting. Now, Peele is not my favourite director and I can't say I share the buzz about his previous efforts, but here he understands that a horror film does not have to be stupid or gory at all costs. Proto-spielberghian? Quite so, but also many questions about the art of viewing and the impossibility of understanding everything.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:57 pm

Last night I was in need of something comfortable, easy enough to just let me sip my beer calmy on the sofa, so I went with an old DVD of Smiley Face. I missed the German Blu-ray when it came out, but I don't care for once. I am not really a fan of hangover/stoner comedies to be honest, mostly because they usually have people just reiterating how wasted they are over and over again, but this small flick just clicks for me.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:17 pm

Coma
Bonello may very well be one of the smartest directors out there.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:18 am

Preparations to Be Together for An Unknown Period of Time
With a title like that it couldn't go wrong, and it didn't.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:05 am

Pacifiction
Getting ready for Nolan, one might say? Whatever, this is some of the most impressive cinematography I've seen lately. Serra packs so much in long sequences where nothing seems to be happening. Exploitation by means of capitalism and voyeurism by means of exotica. So good.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:47 pm

The Misfits
Even better than I remembered, which was too little and horribly dubbed, so better to forget it. Huston was a genius and this is my favourite Monroe, I think, or at least this is one of the best female characters in cinema.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:00 pm

Mad Heidi
I think 20 years ago I would've loved something like this, silly exploitation (Swissploitation they call it) for the sake of silliness. Nowadays, I don't know, I get bored after 10 minutes.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:40 pm

The Plains
It's really good to know someone like David Eastel is out there working with images in ways that are not predictable and obvious.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:32 am

Shin Kamen Rider
After the failure of Shin Ultraman my expectations weren't too high for this, but I guess Anno watched and learned something from Kamen Rider Black Sun and decided to take his Evangelion obsession into this world. I still think Shin Gojira is his best, but this is dark and full of guilty pleasures for the old nerd who used to watch weird Japanese superheroes series. Now, if only Anno could do the same with Chōjin Sentai Jetman...

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:29 pm

Serpico
UHD and yes, it punches even harder.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:57 pm

The other day I watched Estate violenta, even in Italian.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:01 am

No Hard Feelings
It begins leaning too much on that US-style of comedy which needs profanity every two other seconds to be fun, but it soon becomes a nice and simple film, good for a summer evening. It's no Adventureland but I laughed, and that's all that matters I think for something like this.

Blonde
Fuck the critics, this is fantastic. I so want to write about it, but I need to know more.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:39 am

Watched Oppenheimer at the theater the other week. Not sure what I think of it, a lot to digest.
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:57 am

Don't Bother to Knock
Incredible early dramatic performance by Monroe. Not on The Misfits level, but she was a different woman by then.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:48 pm

Niagara
As long as Monroe is on the screen it works, even splendidly at times. But when she's out I don't know, it just shows its age and becomes forgettable.

[Yes, I am home alone and not working at the moment.]

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:05 am

Some Like It Hot
UHD because oh yes. This is still funny and perfectly timed, with that ending which is just as good as I remembered it.

Inception
This is an impossible drag, no wonder the first time I got angry at the screen. Nolan has just no sense of rhythm when it comes to action sequences and, as it happened before, I could not care less about any characters involved whatsoever. Some day I'll probably get Nolan like everyone else.

Cameron, on the other hand, is a master of rhythm and he pushes (again!) the idea of image so far and so above there are times I was just in awe. Also, I now understand why he worked on Secrets of the Whales.

The Divide
I don't know, I've never understood what I should do with the new wave of French horror, and Xavier Gens is out there to make your stomach cringe as much as possible. To me, though, this is just boring.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:04 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:05 am
Inception
This is an impossible drag, no wonder the first time I got angry at the screen. Nolan has just no sense of rhythm when it comes to action sequences and, as it happened before, I could not care less about any characters involved whatsoever. Some day I'll probably get Nolan like everyone else.
So I am not the only one that does not get Nolan.