Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:35 pm

^ Wes does like his hotels.
watched "12 years as a slave", horrible - but in a good way.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm

looking very much forward to Grand Budapest Hotel :)

Ellen Degeneres at the Oscars: "Tonight, there are so many different possibilities. Possibility number one: 12 Years a Slave wins Best Picture. Possibility number two: You’re all racists! Now, for our first white presenter, Anne Hathaway!"
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 pm

The security guard came in this morning and told me he was going to stay up to watch the oscars, so he asked me not to tell him who won, I said "sorry - I really don't care."
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

57kev
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by 57kev » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:51 am

ok , I'll add to this.
fucked up
Bad Boy Bubby
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106341/

pre mad max
Cars that ate Paris
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071282/?ref_=nv_sr_1

old but worth a watch if you can, cult movies here.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:51 pm

wuxmedia wrote:^ Wes does like his hotels.
watched "12 years as a slave", horrible - but in a good way.
great movie indeed!
rice no more.

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:02 am

Part way through watching "Mum and Dad" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1129428/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

I think it's going to be disappointing . . . sigh, yawn, meh, woteva, etc
The Beaver Destroys Forests

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:54 am

Last weekend:

Silk Shoes: South Korean drama with weird comic bits; works in its own peculiar way.
Driving with my Wife's Lover: slow-paced kind of road movie. Sometimes it is funny, but most of the times it is just boring.
Gunda: epic Hindi nonsense, it just proves Bollywood doesn't really care about worldwide cinema and that's why I love it.
Last Action Hero: one of my guilty pleasures. In fact, I still think it is a great film, too often overlooked. It is written especially well.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Enemy Of The State - Frightingly relevant, and prescient. And an entertaining movie.
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:48 pm

Last week was this piece: Edes Emma, drága Böbe. A Hungarian film, sad, interesting. Describes the transition after the Communism and the fall of some characters because of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Emma,_Dear_B%C3%B6be

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:06 pm

You know when you worked all day (say 9, 10 hours in the office) and you need the comfort that only a good friend is capable to give? Since not that many good friends around here, I pick one of my all-time favorite movies and the smile is always back. A practice I'm doing quite often lately but it always works, so who cares, let's do it and chill out. (It also works with books and music, as I was saying somewhere else)

Last night I went back to a film that somehow it is connected to my love for Exotica music and culture: Joe Vs The Volcano. So quirky and plainly dumb in its own funny way, with that volcano nonsense at the end and that superb soundtrack. It's like a well-told tale, but a tale only few might enjoy as I do.

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:59 pm

vic wrote:Enemy Of The State - Frightingly relevant, and prescient. And an entertaining movie.
The frightening part (at least with the folks that I know), is that people know they are being tracked (ala GPS) and they just don't care.
I *think* Neil Postman got it right when he said:
Neil Postman wrote: What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than from one whose countenance exudes suspicion and hate. In the Huxleyan prophecy, Big Brother does not watch us, by his choice. We watch him, by ours. There is no need for wardens or gates or Ministries of Truth. When a population becomes distracted by trivia, when cultural life is redefined as a perpetual round of entertainments, when serious public conversation becomes a form of baby-talk, when, in short, a people become an audience and their public business a vaudeville act, then a nation finds itself at risk; a culture-death is a clear possibility.
-H
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 am

My weekend:

Viva Las Vegas: Ann-Margret Olsson is so beautiful in this one. Sorry Elvis, she wins. Still, the movie is not that great. Blue Hawaii was a bit better.
The Terror Live: very good South Korean thriller. Despite what other critics say, I liked the ending (and I would have probably done the same...).
Zardoz: a total mess, but so much fun with it.
Austin Powers 1 and 2: I like the first one more than the second one. They are both funny action comedies, and you laugh more if you know 007 movies very well. I avoided these films when they were showed in Italy years ago cause I thought they were not my kind of comedies. I still think I would have loathed them if I'd watched them dubbed though.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:24 pm

^ commenting on the only ones i know: yes, Austin Powers needs to be appreciated in its original proper British to even understand half of the jokes. very funny indeed :)
i like that you also watch the old Elvis movies :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:22 pm

If you need something on acid, very hard, no censoring, a trip into art movies the Balkan style then watch Sweet Movie and then try to understand the shit. Try to find the uncut version. Though it is nothing for the softies.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 pm

^ sounds like something I would watch need to find it now.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:09 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:If you need something on acid, very hard, no censoring, a trip into art movies the Balkan style then watch Sweet Movie and then try to understand the shit. Try to find the uncut version. Though it is nothing for the softies.
Sounds awesome Ivan . . . searching . . .
The Beaver Destroys Forests

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:50 pm

I found out the movie is still forbidden in some countries. :) Talk about censorship, haha. Many movies of Dušan Makavajev were already condemned in the former communist Yugoslavia.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:39 pm

Some of my recent views:

BAG IT / FOOD, INC / EARTHLINGS: three interesting documentaries, they taught me really a lot.
CASABLANCA: yep, the old classic. Never watched it before, shame on me. After 70 years, it still is a very great movie.
DEJA VU: despite what many critics say about Tony Scott (especially and sadly after his death), I've been loving his cinema for ages. This is still one of my favorites of his.
AUSTIN POWERS 3: not as good as the first one, but still a bit better than the second one.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 pm

saw 'Anonymous' yesterday, about the real writer behind the name Shakespeare. was quite a nice movie.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:19 pm

Saw this one last night, enjoyed it:

[yt]RSaxm68PPT4[/yt]