Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue May 25, 2021 7:35 pm

^ I am totally with you on Ritchie improving as it gets older. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed May 26, 2021 12:16 pm

Freaky

Silly, yes, but for once I can live with the silliness and enjoy the ride.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu May 27, 2021 1:49 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:26 pm
Wrath of Man

I am not a Guy Ritchie fan, but this may be my favourite of his.
Watched. Liked it.
I wouldn't call it Ritchie's best, but was definitely watchable.

Some of the lines are borderline cringey, particularly the bits between security crew. Can't tell if it was intentional (to portray their inherent lameness) or just poor acting. Statham himself was on point though.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:30 am

Game of Death

Not the martial arts one, but the 2017 indie horror one. Short, rich in gore, a game (no pun intended) as long as you don't take it too seriously.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:22 pm

The Passion of the Christ

It's been 17 years since I watched this in a movie theatre where a couple of nuns passed out because of the atrocities on the screen. Poor old ladies. I don't know why this came back to me, to be honest, but I gave it another shot and it's still hard to endure. More importantly, it's hard to understand why Gibson felt so compelled to indulge in the carnage. I'll never get it. And I'll sure never watch this again.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:22 pm

^ I remember falling asleep when I tried to watch it. I do not know what happened to me and then I never touched it again.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:58 pm

Centurion
My next exam will be on Roman philosophy so I just wanted to get in the mood. However, the only thing that was ready half way through this were my hands eager to stop the nonsense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:14 am

The Eagle
My next exam will be on Roman... wait, yeah. This is slightly better than the above-loathed nonsense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:21 am

Inside
You know (don't you?) that I have a hard time with comedy specials, but I found this interesting enough to stay with it till the end. It looks like young comedians such Burnham and Acaster are moving jokes towards sour self-criticism, which is good I guess, but they also offer something different than race and gender jokes. I don't know, Burnham is self-aware to the point of risking being obnoxious, but he has a penchant for irony that reminded me of David Foster Wallace, although for Wallace mocking self-awareness was something to mock too.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:05 pm

Agora
If you want an interesting topic for a conversation with your Christian friends, there you go. You may want to read this before, just for context: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=873&p=63241#p63241

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:22 am

The Gambler
How can one not love James Caan in the 70s?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:56 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:05 pm
Agora
If you want an interesting topic for a conversation with your Christian friends, there you go. You may want to read this before, just for context: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=873&p=63241#p63241
Yep, Amenábar. Actually I watched that movie in the theater when it came out in Spain.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:28 am

Spaghetti-western is not my favourite genre (John Ford spoiled me enough), but this semi-obscure flick is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJCx-15EZiI

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:34 pm

Manhattan Melodrama
An oldie from the 30s I had to catch because of its presence in Public Enemies (yep, you know me). Interesting one, although the 30s did better than this.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:43 am

Watched a sience fiction movie yesterday called "Arrival". It was ok, I wish that they had taken the time to explain a couple of details better. But that would have meant a longer and possibly a more boring film. Not a must see in any way.

I find it harder and harder to find films that I really really want to watch. There have been films that have given me strong lasting impression, and it is difficult to kind of find things that compare to that. Not necessarily better or equally good, but at the least give me the feeling of something that are worth watching and will give me the spectator something more than just two hours of entertainment.

Anyone else here with similar thoughts, or have I just become blasé?
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:10 pm

^ It's a long story, so I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

Cinema has not been feeling well in the last 10 years. Hollywood blockbusters and Chinese blockbusters are pretty much aiming for the same target: dumb effects for dumb entertainment. Pretty much the same in mainstream South Korean and Indian cinema, and don't get me started on Italy. Northern Europe has something to say, probably, but at least in Italy that cinema is hard to find. Note that I am saying this as a lover of popular cinema, not as a hip guy who only needs arthouse things. Sure, independent auteurs are still alive and kicking, but the road for them is harder than, say, twenty or thirty years ago. Can you imagine today's Hollywood dealing with the first films of a Brian De Palma?

Television has been getting more and more attention, but the results are not always pleasant. I mean, sure, a good TV series is good entertainment, and you know I enjoy a good one as much as the next guy. But to me cinema is just another sport, something too close and dear to me it's painful to see how bad it has turned out to be. Television is where the money goes, all the streaming platforms are pushing and pushing for their own productions, dragging in important players from cinema. Again, this is not wrong per se, but cinema has not been able to cope with this because it's an industry and obviously it needs money to move around. Why spend money in a worthy film when all people want is the next series to binge-watch? Easier and safer to drive talents away from cinema and use them for your next Netflix production to make sure it gets noticed and considered great stuff because of who's behind it.

Amazon bought MGM. Enough said.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:26 pm

You are both right and except Art House, modern cinema is popcorn and chicken nuggets with CGI, super heroes etc or just pretentious long and boring stuff or bad remakes.
Even before Covid shit I was rarely going to the theater except movie festivals.
I might have said that already somewhere, there are still so many great old or older movies you can watch that you surely still do not know. That is what I would hunt for and do. Just follow Gekko's recommendations on some of those gems in this thread. The problem is most of those movies are not on the big streaming platforms or at least not on Netflix so I have to buy them, the reason I have a DVD player (actually Blu-ray).
Though it is not impossible to find them from other sources. A lot of the classics are on Youtube for free, especially if you do not live in Germany (I use a VPN).

Recently I watched a lot of French Nouvelle Vague, some Argentinian stuff, Spanish cinema from the last century and Japanese movies.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:37 am

Yeah, thanks for the input guys. The state of cinema is what it is, so not much to do about that. Will continue look out for the film gems of course, but I do have the binge syndrome too after all. ;D
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:53 am

I know Ivan will love to hear this: the new Verhoeven at Cannes appears to be as controversial as usual. Can't wait to see it.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:43 am

^ I love controversial. :)

Watched Bergman's Tystnaden (The Silence). A great movie! I am slowly working my way up to see all his films. I can see why Tarkovsky was a fan of him or was it the other way around. :) Cinema that speaks to you and you do not why. It evokes images and emotions and again Johann Sebastian Bach. That one they have also in common.

Edit: And as we speak of controversial, Tystnaden was very much the pinnacle of controversial in its era.