Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
hinto
Forums Hottie

Re: Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Unread post by hinto » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:21 pm

[yt]FftEeQmuDWM[/yt]
^this is forever stuck in my head, ever since I saw it at the Drive-In in '87.
-H
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:46 pm

THE LEGEND OF HERCULES: I think this one could easily be the worst film I've ever seen.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:49 pm

THE MACHINE: very good sci-fi from the UK. Low budget, but visually stylish. It steals some ideas from other movies (Terminator, A.I., Blade Runner to name a few), yet it works smoothly. If it wasn't for that rush in the end it could have been even better.
THE CABIN IN THE WOODS: I know I'm against everyone on this, but I didn't like it. Overrated to say the least. Boring, predictable.
I only enjoyed the bit on the elevator, when they go down and see some of the monsters they could have met before.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:50 pm

damn Gekko, you werent lying when you said you watched a lot of films. good shit though, i enjoy reading about them, lotsa variety too :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:46 pm

^^ Gonna have to check out The Machine.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:40 am

^^ yep, one or two film a day usually :)
HER: what happened to Spike Jonze? I use to love some of his works, but this one is so hipster (not in the Charlie Parke way) and dull I still can't believe I've managed to stay awake for two hours.
THE RUNNING MAN: super-cheesy one, I know, but I needed a good laugh to bring my smile back after HER.

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:40 am

I don't know what I expected from The Machine, but at the end of it I was a bit sad. I really, really wanted that film to be longer. The film is 'OK', but nothing more. Jarring jumps forward in time with absolutely no explanation is probably my main gripe.

But holy fuck that film was Blade Runner inspired. Even the music score. That's a good thing.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:01 pm

^ checking those films out later,

earlier this week I watched a bunch.

Hotfuzz - Hilarious, at least to me... if you like Simon Pegg and Nick Frost formula films, this one does not disappoint. Bonus points for the fact Frost's character owns a GTI Jetta, very rare.

The Aviator - Bit boring, good performances all round, like Cate Blanchett (I think it was her) and DiCaprio was ok. Not surprising taking into account the big name stars in pretty much every role.

Oz the great and powerful, Well made, bit of a prequel to "the wonderful wizard..." couldn't imagine my kids enjoying it, didn't enjoy it myself till near the end. nice CGI.

The shooter - Pretty obvious hollywood flick, Ok when drunk and on IRC 8)

Serenity - A B-movie-ish Sci-Fi romp from Buffy's Joss Whedon, I really liked it, I may have been drunk, but the dialog was pretty funny, I suppose a bit obvious in places, but made no bones about being a bit leftfield. Hmmm explaining my feelings about it didn't really work, but I liked it. Dunno why.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:19 pm

wuxmedia wrote:Serenity - A B-movie-ish Sci-Fi romp from Buffy's Joss Whedon, I really liked it, I may have been drunk, but the dialog was pretty funny, I suppose a bit obvious in places, but made no bones about being a bit leftfield. Hmmm explaining my feelings about it didn't really work, but I liked it. Dunno why.
Have you seen all of the Firefly series? The movie can stand alone, but it's better if you've seen all of Firefly.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:28 pm

right, oh yeah, the sci-fi western of course, that's why it feels like that...
No I've never seen them, I enjoyed Buffy (who didn't?)
cool thanks for tying that up Bones!

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:10 pm

@wux: i liked Hot Fuzz a lot, especially the way it changes from action to horror to comedy to whatever (or the other way around, can't remember)... really well done :)

and The Aviator: i loved it, but it might've been the music that did it for me. one of my favourite soundtracks evah.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 am

I love both Firefly and Serenity :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:57 pm

TRON: cult classic, I love it.
TRON LEGACY: oh dear what a mess. It totally forgets the spirit of the first movie. Add plenty of horrible action scenes and really poor acting and you got yourself a real dumb movie. Plus, after Lebowski, it seems to me that Bridges when acting can't escape that character. Don't get me wrong, I love The Big Lebowski, it's just that he doesn't seem capable to act differently.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:02 pm

GekkoP wrote:I love both Firefly and Serenity :)
that (and Bones') recommendation it's a must watch!!

Re: Tron legacy, agree 110% - yeah it gets a bit boring and confused after the kid's on the solaris or whatever it is.

I watched "Descent" A fairly low budget horror, pretty good.
In spite of awful acting, terrible plot, ridiculous characters and preposterous situations.
Good ending.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:37 pm

RIO: watched it just because someone told me "you love exotica, watch Rio!". It turns out to be a pretty standard animation flick, with the usual story lines and characters. A hint of Brazil doesn't make it exotica.
TRUE LIES: my favorite Schwarzenegger film right after LAST ACTION HERO. Missus hadn't seen it yet so I put it on falling in love with Jamie Lee Curtis once again.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Have you heard the Urban Legend that Jamie Lee Curtis has Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (aka Testicular Feminization Syndrome)? People with this condition are genetically male (they have XY chromosomes and internal testes) but they are insensitive to the androgens that cause male characteristics to develop. All embryos start with the ability to become either male or female, and it is the sensitivity to androgens that cause the embryo to become "male." This legend is not confirmed, but Ms. Curtis will not provide doctors' records to prove it is not true, and she has never had children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgen_ ... y_syndrome

A somewhat related condition occurs in cattle -- when cattle have twins, they are usually both the same sex. If cattle have twins of different sexes, some genetic material is exchanged between the developing calves, and the androgens produced by the "XY" genetic material in the female calf can cause her to become what is called a "freemartin" -- gentically they are "chimeric" (they have some cells with XX chromosomes and some with XY) they are externally female, but have non-functioning ovaries and masculine behavior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemartin

This concludes your random biology lesson for today. ;)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:11 pm

^ didn't know that, thanks.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:19 pm

I only mention it because I have never understood why people think Jamie Lee Curtis is (or was) attractive. Just not my type, I guess. ;)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 pm

^ not really my type either, I was just joking. But I have to admit I found the strip scene in True Lies both sexy and funny at the same time. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:30 pm

I know what you mean about Miss Curtis, not my type.

ontopic: watched "Invasion", it was with a bunch of films from my half-bro, sort of based on 'Invasion of the body snatchers' not great, but it does have Nicole Kidman in, who is pretty cute.