Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:32 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:45 pm
The weirdest thing happened to me this morning. I was next to my grandma and Alex l'Ariete was on the telly. One of the ugliest Italian films ever made, good for laughs if you're into pure trash, in a moment when really there wasn't much to laugh about.

Who needs drugs when these things can happen, I wonder. Life is a mystery.
With Michelle Hunziker, oh no. I know her from German trash TV.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:22 am

Hehehe, even the first scene, the first second of the film, the hand and the knife stinks of bad acting. Nice to hear Italian though. No I did not watch it, just five minutes. But I ´ve seen worse. Is it bad enough to be a cult movie?
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:50 pm

^ It's bad enough to hunt you in your worst nightmares.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:47 pm

Watched Nice Guys via Netflix just now. Was alright. Enjoyed it. The comedy actually kinda works with Ryan Gooseface's facial paralysis. Almost gives it a deadpan feel, even if it is ultimately slapstick.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 pm

^ I remember it enjoyable, but I also remember little about it.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:39 pm

Alien: Covenant

I wasn't happy with Prometheus, I am not happy with this one.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:27 pm

^ I told you so. ;)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:32 am

^ And you were absolutely right. I don't know what Ridley Scott wanted to do with these movies, but I didn't feel the need to explore themes of creation and purpose. Aliens and Alien v. Predator did much a better job with this universe, in my opinion.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:15 am

Piazza Vittorio

Finally I was able to catch this Abel Ferrara's documentary. Not his best, but still a powerful light on the contradictions of my country.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:04 am

Now I will make a second round of Ingmar Bergman movies. The first one is Höstsonaten. It already begins very good. You need patience and an attentive mind.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:54 am

Monster Hunter

Now, I found out I really appreciate the man by carefully studying his career last year, but this time he lost control of the whole thing. Allow me to quote myself:
It would be interesting to understand how much control Anderson did get on this, because there are moments where I just couldn't see him behind the camera. An example of this comes very early in the film: in the opening sequence the use of rather uninteresting digital effects creates an anonymous spectacle. Anderson has always been able to root artificiality in his vision of humanity, were it mundane or not. Here artificiality comes first, mostly nullifying human beings by reducing them to mere pieces on a computer-enhanced stage, and I doubt this was intended as a stab at reification. Anderson still manages to dig out his personality here and there, but this is far from his best shots. It's all rather loose eventually, way too thin for a director so capable of leading his favourite themes in a layered range of contexts without losing his target. I wasn't expecting another Alice, that's true, so I am open to watch Monster Hunter again and find more into it.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:00 pm

^ I watched Monster Hunter some time ago. Couldn't get past the dialog. That army song was especially grating. 30 minutes in, I was just skipping and skimming to check out the monster battles (which weren't all that great). I wonder why Milla Jovovich keeps doing these Capcom (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil) video game flicks. Is she big in Japan, or maybe just within Capcom? She's a better actress than that, but I suppose the money's good.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:33 pm

^ There is good in the RE flicks (I particularly like the third one, but the fifth is something special too), and Anderson is capable most of the times if you ask me. But here, I don't know, maybe because there are multiple companies involved (a Japanese one and a Chinese one at least), he kind of gave up what makes his style worthwhile to me.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:36 pm

^^ Consider also all these films have the same director, which is her husband by the way. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 pm

^ Interesting. Though I am also one of the people that never understood the rage about those films. I watched some Resident Evil years ago and while it can be entertaining it is not my kind of thing. But we know Gekko loves some good action. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:31 pm

^ That's true.

The key with Anderson for me was being patient and watch all his 14 films. I tend to do this only with a director I already like (life is short, time is luck, etc.), but since trustworthy people kept telling that there was good in his films I wanted to give it a try and see what I had been missing. Long story short: my list.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:44 am

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:41 pm

What's Pompeii like? I'm no fan of the whole "the power of love conquers all, yeehaw" thing, which the description kind of implies.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:09 pm

Pompeii's my favourite one from Anderson, but that's because I love tragic love stories.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:25 pm

^ Let me expand on that.

I found it his most poetic work. It's a film which encompasses all of its favourite themes but instead of using a character as a Platonic idea (like Alice in all the Resident Evils, and the fifth one especially) it goes the Melville way. Not so much as man trying to conquer Nature and failing at it (Weber, Frankfurt school, etc.), but man incapable of understanding Nature and the power it has to make us all equal when death comes around. The premises are simple because we all know what happened to Pompeii, so with that set Anderson picks on love, friendship, and sacrifice to push for the eternity of them. Time is stronger than eternity because time has the power to separate people, but what if two lovers can forever meet in the eternity of time? I think this is the first and last time Anderson has explored eternity as a possible necessity instead of a necessary possibility, and that's probably why I like this film so much.

Sorry, I am a nerd.