Minister of Truth

Re: Movies, Flicks, Films, Videos, cinematography

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Everything OK, sounds good to me. ;)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Still deep in old classics binge, I'd like the urge you guys (and Ivanov in particular) to watch Lola Montès Grab the Criterion version, if you can.

One of the very best.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:52 pm

I added it to the watch list. Thank you for the recommendation.

I have also a new and classic gem. Suna no onna (Woman in the Dunes) is a Japanese movie by Hiroshi Teshigahara. It is an amazing piece.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058625/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:48 am

Can't stop my binge: Samuel Fuller is the king in town.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Meet John Doe only proves that Barbara Stanwyck was one the greatest. Of course Frank Capra is directing the hell out of this, but to my eyes (and ears, Stanwyck's voice is gold to my ears), she blew everyone away in this.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:36 am

^ And Ball of Fire, although not the best Howard Hawks', cemented that.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:45 pm

I hereby declare Fuller's The Naked Kiss a masterpiece.

It's true that I haven't seen something ugly from him yet (I mean, The Steel Helmet is one of the best war/non-war films ever, come on!), but this weird, camp-bordering and vibe-twisting cutie is cinema as it should always be to my eyes.

It's also the reason why I hardly get caught in a series: too much beauty in the film world waiting for me.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks for the brief review. Both movies seem to be interesting.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:52 am

The beauty of Fuller is that he always makes every film unique. His war films are such personal takes you can almost feel him next to you telling the story. When he goes pulp, he's such a lovely weirdo. And when he plays the racism card, you're in for a perspective as contemporary as everything Spike Lee's been arguing about in his career.

I don't know. The classics binge has been showing me such marvellous gems, it's really hard to pick the most beautiful one. Now I'm ready to dig deeper in the silent era masters. Aside from Chaplin and Keaton, I've approached Louis Feuillade and started from Les Vampires. Wonders.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Tried Final Score to have a break from classics, and wow, didn't know 2018 is still time for another bad Die Hard rip-off. Although it's closer to Sudden Death, but Hyams at least knew how to direct the shit out of a rip-off.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:05 am

@Ivanov knowing your love for Scorsese, I'm curious, what do you think about The Aviator?

Asking because I watched it again last night, and coming from lots of classics, I immensely appreciated the incredible work on cinematography. Also, Scorsese is the only director able to make me appreciate DiCaprio's acting, he just makes the best out of his boyish face.

This is like Hawks, Sirk and Coppola all rolled into one. Nothing short of a masterpiece.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:31 am

I absolutely agree.
GekkoP wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:05 am
Also, Scorsese is the only director able to make me appreciate DiCaprio's acting, he just makes the best out of his boyish face.
This is also very true.

I loved it instantly when I watched it for the first time.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm

I guess I won't ever be invited round either of yours for a movie night! I found the aviator really boring. I think I recall the big cinema he had, other than that is a bit of a blank :D
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:39 pm

^^ And Gangs Of New York is how he paved the way to that, IMHO. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:00 am

@Wux Scorsese's new millennium output is more complex than what he did before, at least to my eyes. He's been exploring more styles and genre than he ever did, and he's been abstracting away narrative and themes nonchalantly.

This is not to say that the new is better than the old, because he did so many great films. However, looking at Silence I can see he has been up to something new in his cinema since 2002, culminating in a sort of minimal touch that, in fact, goes way back to Taxi Driver. This circulating rhythm in his directorial style is not mere lack of willingness to try different roads and lazy stagnation on what he's already good at. He has been going around and around cinema and the history of cinema, while retaining his moves. This to me is only proof of a great master.

Ok, sorry, you took the nerd out of me. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:03 pm

"What have you watched these months?", I heard you ask. Kind folks, too many things to name everything.

Let's try to pick the best, or some of it at least:

Abel Ferrara
October was his month, with over 20 films of his. The new ones I loved the most: Go Go Tales, Pasolini, Body Snatchers, Welcome to New York, Napoli Napoli Napoli, Mary. And then the ones I already knew: King of New York, Ms. 45, Bad Lieutenant, New Rose Hotel, The Addiction, The Funeral.

An Elephant Sitting Still
My film of the year. I wrote extensively on it here.

Straub & Huillet
I started with From the Clouds to the Resistance (already one of my favourites), and I have been collecting everything they did. Again, I wrote something on them (and Ferrara as well) here.

Random stuff
Like Someone in Love by Kiarostami broke my heart, Il Posto by Ermanno Olmi threw me back to my Accenture days and I discovered how old I got in the meantime, I re-discovered George Lucas and loved Jersey Boys more than any other Eastwood post-2000. Spike Lee surprised me with his BlacKKKlansman and Ready Player One by Spielberg is an outstanding technical achievement that trashes the book it comes from in an instant.

Last but not least, I have worked my way through Charlie Chaplin filmography, and I discovered one of the truest masters of cinema.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:37 am

Caught up with two much discussed films of this year:

A Star Is Born
Mainly a vehicle for Bradley Cooper, who fails to understand Gaga is a far better singer than he could possibly be and devotes almost zero depth to her character. And his music sucks too.

First Man
I didn't like La La Land, but I enjoyed (although already forgotten) Whiplash, so Chazelle intrigues me. However, the main problem is Ryan Gosling, who I still consider one of the worst actors I've ever put my eyes on. I can count with one hand the number of facial expressions I've seen so far in his career, and in First Man he's pretty much doing them all. A mild improvement on his awful dancing skills, but that's another story. First Man is good, probably the best Chazelle has done.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Thanks again for the list. I will add some of them.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 am

Bertolucci passed away, so I'm going to remember him by watching his films this week. Started last nite with The Dreamers, the first of his I bought on DVD ages ago. Not his best, but still an ode to cinema and to the illusion of a revolution that changed nothing at all. It played a huge part on me being a cinephile.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:17 am

^ RIP and true for Dreamers but still Bertolucci.
I think I watched almost any film of him.