Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
vic
Godot

Re: How do you email?

Unread post by vic » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:11 pm

gutterslob wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:04 am
If you dig hard enough, you'll realise that many of the providers in "Top 10" lists are either under the same umbrella organization, own most of the VPN review websites, or are associated with Israeli intelligence.
So basically I just have to accept that I am going to be ripped off. :D

Anyway, I will come back to this later when I know more of what I want and why I want it. :)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:07 am

gutterslob wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:04 am
Then again, most people don't even know how to use a VPN properly, so it's not surprising.
On this note, do you have any hint to a proper guide to do it in the right way?

I have to say I am just using the OpenVPN set up my VPN provider offers, but I am open to suggestion do it as you it should be done.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:15 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:07 am
On this note, do you have any hint to a proper guide to do it in the right way?

I have to say I am just using the OpenVPN set up my VPN provider offers, but I am open to suggestion do it as you it should be done.
I wasn't referring to client/protocol setup when I said "using it the right way". That's on you and your provider's documentation.

What I meant was how people tend to overestimate a VPN and assume they're protected 100% of the time. Sure, having a desktop Linux setup mitigates some of those risks (hence why I said "most people", meaning not the 1-2% market share we belong in), but it still kinda applies to us as well.

People forget the only thing they're doing is shifting trust from their ISP/telco to the VPN provider. That alone does virtually nothing on the modern web filled with browser fingerprinting, geolocation tracking and all other forms of javascript identifier voodoo. If you don't take the same additional steps you would on a non-tunnelled setup, you're effectively cloning the fingerprint you had on your ISP's IP pool to the VPN provider's IP pool, and every corporation will know it. Not like they even care about your IP address, since they've got so many other ways of identifying you. Most people don't know this and end up falling for buzzwords like "complete anonymity" or "military grade encryption" at many VPN websites, ignoring how those same websites employ google-analytics or googletagmanager or some Cloudflare or Fastly CDN.

Just look around you. Notice how so many people connect to their VPN while still being logged into their Google or Facebook accounts. Or how people on mobile devices are connected to some VPN while the WhatsApp or Gmail app is installed on their device and allowed to run in the background. Or how people have location services enabled while connected to a different country IP via their VPN. Or how some people configure their VPN at router level and have every device tunnel through it thinking they're protected, but are actually just adding more vectors for identification to their connection. I could go on...

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:42 pm

Totally agree with you. Complete anonymity is becoming more and more of a dream, I guess.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:24 pm

This thread has (thanks to me) gone a bit off course.
vic wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:11 pm
So basically I just have to accept that I am going to be ripped off. :D
Proton is probably okay. They wouldn't be my first choice VPN provider - they were slow with WireGuard adoption, and I prefer a numbered account system (like IVPN or Mullvad) over email for signup, plus other 'philosophical' reasons - but if you intend to use ProtonMail as well, then I think it's a decent (though expensive) setup. If you can live with the limitations of the free plans, then even better.

I personally don't feel comfortable with the idea of VPN providers running email servers, file hosting or password management since your login credentials become a single point of failure, but Proton seem to be one of the better ones, at least from what I've read. They're also quite active with finding/reporting CVEs for the various protocols and such.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:15 pm

Gutterslob you are spot-on, also about Proton. Like I said, I "trust" them but that can always change. And you said it:
gutterslob wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:15 pm
People forget the only thing they're doing is shifting trust from their ISP/telco to the VPN provider.
That is why some will recommend Tor but then again you have to know how to use Tor properly and you never know who controls the exit nodes.

I think the use case for both, VPNs and Tor, differs.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:26 pm

I treat all digital communication these days as if it's a postcard.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:35 pm

Very good analogy wuxmedia, I will use it when necessary to explain these problems when or if I discuss it with others. Another good thing that has come out of this is that I have deactivated a lot of promotional emails, so the inbox is tragically calm now. ;)

And there is yet another thing that I will do soon. A complete overhaul of passwords and log in details. It is another thing that has been postponed for far too long. There are probably some old stuff that can be flushed away, or maybe I have been flushed because of not visiting. We´ll see.

It is hard to understand why a lot of simple tasks is so hard and difficult to get done? Laziness, or signs of apathy?

The email thingy, have not made final decision but I definitely prefer Mailfence over Protonmail. Will give it a couple of weeks before final verdict is set. So for the VPN stuff I guess one just have to find someone adequate for the needs, and choose a service worthy to trust.

By the way, is it ok to install more than one VPN client at the same time? Of course not to run them simultaneously, but for testing. And is there any difference to consider GUI vs CLI?

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:30 pm

vic wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:35 pm
By the way, is it ok to install more than one VPN client at the same time? Of course not to run them simultaneously, but for testing. And is there any difference to consider GUI vs CLI?
Depends on the client and tunnelling protocol. Some provider's applications may install startup scripts/daemons and iptables rules (for killswitch functionality), which might cause conflicts of a certain service or rule overlaps with that of another provider's. For multiple configs, I think it's best to use manual configuration, either via cli or network manager's built0in functionality using the config files your provider gives you.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:05 am

^Thank you, that sets it to one at a time, no doubt about that. Multiple configurations would just end in a smelly mess.

I ´ll just take my time and see what ´s working for me. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:35 pm

Vic, have you tried https://haveibeenpwned.com/ for the password thing?
As long as you are not ever using a password in that list (if any) then you should be OK.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:23 pm

Thanks for the reminder, been a while since last time I checked. Looks like I am in the clear. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:39 pm

Amature Vic :P
hibp wrote:Pwned in 14 data breaches and found 3 pastes (subscribe to search sensitive breaches)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:14 pm

Well, well, well, I´ll be damned, vic ´s been fuqqed it seems. Thanks for the heads up wux, I did not check my vic, only my "other". Anyway, that vic account was already next in line for deletion.

Edit; I got
Pwned in 3 data breaches and found no pastes

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:13 pm

Finally! Done, have set my deGoogling in motion. :)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:42 pm

^ Good lad. I expect you to be blocking AS15169 at DNS level in a week's time ;P

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:59 pm

^Sounds kinky, let ´s not exaggerate at this point. There are a bunch of menial boring tasks to done first. Good thing though is that I have time to myself this weekend to waste on such matters. :)

Edit a couple of days later; Finished with all the boring tasks. Have gone over login credentials on a bunch of sites, and edited my backup to something more present.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:48 am

AS15169 is the ASN for google, blocking it would effectively make it disappear from the internet. (I Think)