How do you email?

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
bones
Clooney

How do you email?

Unread post by bones » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 pm

I was just wondering how other BBQers access their email: webmail, Thunderbird, Claws, Sylpheed, Mutt, Pine, etc.? I'm sure DebianJoe uses emacs for email, somehow. :)

I'm used to using Thunderbird on Linux, but also use (ugh) MS Outlook on the Mac here at work. The family uses Apple Mail (which was based on GNUMail) on the Mac at home, and I find it to be a pretty decent client, actually.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: How do you email?

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 pm

just gmail. on tab and web. does all that i want.
i did follow Slarties (MIA) instructions to use gmail in mutt, but a web 2,0 browser is always open.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Thunderbird normally. But I used Mutt in the past and I like Claws.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Sylpheed and pine :blush:
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:32 am

bones wrote:I'm sure DebianJoe uses emacs for email, somehow.
Ha ha ha ha ha....inhale...yes. Wanderlust for emacs. ;)
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:25 am

This tranny uses mutt, the rhowaldt of email clients.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:29 pm

DebianJoe wrote:
bones wrote:I'm sure DebianJoe uses emacs for email, somehow.
Ha ha ha ha ha....inhale...yes. Wanderlust for emacs. ;)
It's funny, because right after I posted that, I actually did a web search on "email for emacs" (has a nice ring to it, don't you think?) and Wanderlust was the first thing I looked at.

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:55 pm

Thunderbird on windows, mutt on linux.

Slarties "mutt guide" was the reason i stopped using thunderbird on linux

http://slartie.com/guide/slartie_com_guide_mutt.html
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:11 pm

mutt, and web.

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:49 pm

gmail.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:02 pm

Have been using Gmail for many years, but are seriously considering to switch (or maybe migrate is a more exact word to describe it) to something else. It is not a thing done in haste, it would take quite a long time I think.

I would have to keep my Gmail account for at least a year or so to be sure to catch most of the main contacts that still are relevant before closing it. There is of course the simple solution and forward everything, or use a lot of hours to go through everything and change mail address over a weekend. :D

Why? Well I am not sure what it is, but lately I have started to get irritated and annoyed with it. Not only gmail, but the whole Google account thing.

They are always asking for something, want my phone number, want me to go over security settings and so on. Is it not enough for them that I help them sell ads to maximize their profit?

Yes, I know, it is very silly of me to get so frustrated over crap like this. And I also know that the "free lunch" comes with certain obligations. But imagine, just the feeling of not being looked over the shoulder when logged in. Sweet thought. :)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:09 am

You should definitely switch away from Gmail. I did so in 2019 to ProtonMail (paid account) that also comes with a VPN service that I use and I have a Disroot account (free) that I use with PGP encryption in Thunderbird. ProtonMail uses a bridge for Thunderbird.
ProtonMail is for work and I do trust them although you never know especially with recent events. Disroot is for my personal account and I am in charge and own my keys.

I still have a Google account but I use it for trash and Youtube. So you can keep it but for more sensible stuff definitely switch to something more private. Privacy has its cost though. Do it gradually but determined.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:43 am

Gmail is only because of my phone and I never bother to check it. I moved to autistici/inventati years ago and they're simply the best for me.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:19 am

Posteo (paid) and Austistici/Inventati for the more important stuff, or stuff I can afford to burn with aliases.

SimpleLogin (free account) for a few more aliases.

iCloud address for my Apple shit (only for App Store receipts, essentially), augmented with a recently acquired @Duck alias from DDG.

Also have one goolagmail account remaining for the Android TV.

As for how, it depends. On Linux, it’s mostly via the web interface. My mutt days are long behind me. On mobile, there might be a dedicated app involved. I tend to segregate my devices with vlans and VPNs, so it’s usually a case of certain accounts limited to a single device and/or IP pool.

GekkoP wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:43 am
I moved to autistici/inventati years ago and they're simply the best for me.
That, and you can get a @bastardi address. ;D

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:33 am

^ You on A/I as well? Good lad.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:54 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Have been doing a lot of reading of reviews, comparing of looks, prices, subscription plans, features and all that. Now I am left with two finalists so to speak, Protonmail and Mailfence. There are always a pro or con to everything, so in the end it will come down to what will be the solution that fits me best.

Plan to think it through, and will not rush into this decision, since it is one that I plan to live with for a long time. :)

@ivanovnegro; How is the ProtonVPN service working out for you?

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:04 pm

@vic
Don't treat these sites' words as gospel. Just sharing so you get a rough idea of what the available providers offer.
Best to do your own research and form your own opinion.
https://privacyguides.org/providers/email/
https://restoreprivacy.com/email/secure/

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:49 am

Thanks for the links @gutterslob, had not seen the first, privacyguides.org before. As it happens both my final contenders (so far) are included in these two links. Protonmail is in both of them, have also read a couple of times that the other, Mailfence, is a good choice for people that want to deGoogle. And that is what this is all about for me.

I do not have any critically sensitive information to hide, no intelligence agencies to hide from, or any crazy online stalker that want to destroy me as far as I know. Just some hassle free privacy, that is all. And the gospel word, I can assure you that I read with my skeptical antenna stretched out in it´s full length.

When you read "best VPN services reviews" you get very suspicious. You can see the lies drool out of their ears.

Anyway, I have come as far as registering a free account at both of them to check them out. So will go back and forth between them, and see what feels best, send some test mails and check out the basics. I do not need anything fancy so both will probably be a good choice in the end for me.

As a bonus I plan to also test out the ProtonVPN client, which is quite limited of course since it is free to try, but worth a run I believe.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:05 pm

vic wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:54 pm
@ivanovnegro; How is the ProtonVPN service working out for you?
I am quite happy and I am on the free tier. I do not use it that much so it is sufficient. It does everything that says on the tin apart from unblocking foreign Netflix etc as you would need a paid account for that and the speed is totally acceptable, usually almost my regular internet speed minus when the servers are loaded. I can only choose between three countries. In the future I will definitely upgrade.

Like Slobsan said, take your time and better you ask here. Forget shady sites talking about the best VPN, it is always bogus except you are on some serious sites. Most of the (free) VPNs are bullshit and you pay with your data or who knows with what.

The best part is that you can try those things out like you are already doing if they offer a free tier or trial like ProtonMail in general and the VPN is already included with a ProtonMail address.

As for hiding something. It is not about that. Everybody has a right to privacy and everybody has its own secrets, something you do not want to share with the whole world. You are also locking your front door. ;)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:04 am

vic wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:49 am
When you read "best VPN services reviews" you get very suspicious.
That's basically (almost) every VPN out there. If you dig hard enough, you'll realise that many of the providers in "Top 10" lists are either under the same umbrella organization, own most of the VPN review websites, or are associated with Israeli intelligence. You can probably count the number of reputable providers with one hand. Then again, most people don't even know how to use a VPN properly, so it's not surprising.