Oyster

Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
dkeg
Configurator

Oyster

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm thinking of keeping Oyster, but purging out pretty much all the wm's except for spectrewm and i3. Do you foresee any problems with doing that? Or any other reason not to keep Oyster only use it to experiment with various wm's.

Or should I blow away and install speckduck(?), and then addin whatever other wm I want? I tend to bounce b/t that and i3 b/c I like the blend i3 with mouse and keyboard.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Oyster

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:41 am

When you kick out the other thrity-something WMs from Oyster, you'll have more work to do than if you take a clean base and Roast Your Own on top of the Openbox system. For comparison: in the /usr/share/xsession/ folder you find the "starter" entries of lightdm. They'd have to be removed (or lightdm configured to autologin) and you'd have to make an "apt-get autoremove --purge" orgy to remove everything from aewm over razorqt and e17 up to xmonad, run deborphan, and also remove the "<desktopname>-start" shortcuts in /usr/bin

The SpeckDrum is a custom 486 version which will get its kernels from Debian's experimental repositories. If you have a 'modern' computer (i686 CPU instruction set and >512MB RAM) there's no real reason to use it.

So my suggestion is to take the Saltimbocca i686 base system (if you need 64bit, please be a bit patient, I'll upload it as fresh Escargot base with a new kernel and the new BBQ tools later this week, maybe even in the next 3 days) and start from scratch.
You would only have to install your desired wm, edit one file (that's the .xinitrc and/or the .xstart file) to start your desired WM instead of Openbox (or use LightDM).

You have used Oyster for what it is designed: as a test-drive release for WMs in Debian. I don't think that seriously anybody sticks with Oyster for longer than needed :)
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Oyster

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Thank you, that is pretty much what I expected your answer to be. It's just so nice to have all my configs in place. But, cool., I'll wait til later this week then. Yes, I'm 64-bit.

Yeah, I went into xsession to make i3 my default session.

Work hard; Complain less