Forum rules
We believe in Hello and Thank You.
wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Hi, I cannot believe it

Unread post by wayne » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:43 am

Greeting,

Really I cannot believe it works!!

BY chance I found this.. Debian Sid..with siduction's kernel and nonfree firmware!! plus a simple installer!!!

Out of curiosity I downloaded the xfce version and install, it works!!

Now I am playing with it, and try to get it to automatically login with xfce ( still trying LOL :) )
Did dist-upgrade, surprisingly no issue on SID .. wow.
install fglrx on ATI 5450 card, another surprise, it works!! wow, many distros failed here, ..

So I cannot believe it..

Now I do not have to use the lengthy process to start from Debian netinstall and spend a few hours to get a working Debian Sid..

Thank you so much.

ps. read somewhere that running Sid is much less trouble than Testing... hope that works for me too.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Hi, I cannot believe it

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:23 am

Hi wayne,

glad to hear it works :)

To login automatically, as root edit the file

Code: Select all

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
search for the line

#autologin-user=bbq
remove the hash and replace bbq with your username.
Save and exit. Then, as root, edit

/usr/share/xsessions/lightdm-xsession.desktop 
and replace

Exec=default
with

Exec=startxfce4
save and exit.

Happy roasting!

PS: Well yes, I'm one of those people who says the Sid is less problematic than Testing or APT pinning. Maybe it is because Sid users are generally more careful when it comes to upgrades and check the terminal output more carefully.
..gnutella..

wayne
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by wayne » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 am

thanks machinebacon for the steps to get autologin to xfce..
did it and all is well.

next pleasant surprise:
even thunar is able to browse network shares!!!..out of the box!! amasing.
most distros did not allow me to do that and many more confusing steps were required...

another one: dmesg gave me 14.x seconds!!!
I often get 25-45seconds on others..may be just too many unnecessary services??
http://pastebin.com/Eubs6gES

I am happy..
However I do not know how to roast :(

Just keep playing. and hopefully one day I can roast too :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:06 am

Looks good to me, I have a boot of flat 17 seconds including mounting of a bunch of partitions. As systemd is more and more integrated in Debian we will have 'better' boot times, I suppose.

If you want to strip down the boot time on other systems, you might try 'bum' (boot-up manager) as root and untick services and daemons that you think are not needed. I generally switch off logging and only turn it on if the computer mibehaves and I need to debug something. Same applies for CUPS (the printer daemon) or bluetooth (which I have no use for on my desktop PC).

That you can browse the shares in Thunar is because I set them on 'allow' for active users. Same should be the case for hot-plugged drives, they don't need authentication.

Well, roasting starts as soon as you add your applications ;) As soon as you have created a system that you like, you could start creating a remaster and share it with your friends or simply use it to backup your computer. Of course this is not a one-click solution (yet - I'm working on a more automated and easier application to do this) but I will of course assist you if you want to try it.

Whatever problems you encounter or questions you have, please post them.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:16 pm

machinebacon wrote: That you can browse the shares in Thunar is because I set them on 'allow' for active users. Same should be the case for hot-plugged drives, they don't need authentication.
This makes so much sense, didn't know you did this, because i never use a GUI filemanager, but this is very good indeed.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 pm

^ Rho, I just changed the things that disturbed me and which I found questionable for a single-seat system -- Forever Alone ;) :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 pm

machinebacon wrote:Maybe it is because Sid users are generally more careful when it comes to upgrades and check the terminal output more carefully.
Is also true and if issues arise, you won't believe it but the Q has an integrated upgrade warnings system.
Of course it works because someone is seeing the issues in first place and reporting them.